Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2016 ST1
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a few weeks back I started getting a squeaking noise occasionally when starting in 1st on a hill. It slowly progressed into more of a tapping sound with a squeak, which then stops once driving. It seems to only happen when the engine is under load. Sometimes it doesn't do it at all, but it definitely progressed to where when it does it its louder than it was at first. I finally got under the car and the downpipe hanger was a bit ripped so I replaced that, thinking it was it, but it still is doing it. When under the car I found that part of the exhaust looks like it is touching one of the the metal cross bars, and this would definitely match the sound of what I am hearing since it sounds like metal on metal rubbing/squeaking. I attached pics, is it normal for the exhaust to be this close to that bar, and if not, is there another hangar mid way that supports this? I checked the back hangars and they look fine, as well as the heatshield. Im thinking it definitely has to be this spot, it matches exactly where it sounds like the noise is coming from which is right below the compartment in the center console/right in front of the rear seats. I have a cobb catback exhaust and DP racing downpipe on the car for years and never had an issue with it until just recently.
Automotive parking light Hood Automotive lighting Grille Automotive mirror
Tire Automotive lighting Grille Hood Automotive tire
Tire Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Tread

Tire Automotive lighting Grille Hood Automotive tire

Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Automotive exterior Rim Bumper

Automotive parking light Hood Automotive lighting Grille Automotive mirror

·
Registered
2016 ST1
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the replies! Ended up getting back under the car this morning and sure enough its the mid pipe hanger, not a slip joint setup. Weird actually looks semi melted or something and is definitely split. I could take the brace out i guess, but more worried the extra vibration from this hanger would cause issues down the line with screwing the other ones up. Anyone change this hanger ever? Is it something easy enough to do without taking apart the whole exhaust? I'm thinking of buying the hangers and bringing to a local shop and having them just do it if its not easy enough to do without taking apart, I used to have access to a lift and no longer do or else I would definitely try it myself, feel like this would be a ***** without a lift lol.
Automotive tire Gas Auto part Carbon Rim
Automotive tire Gas Audio equipment Auto part Helmet
Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Synthetic rubber Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2016 ST1
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So ended up digging through my old parts and found the stock hanger and was able to do it on the ground. Was pretty annoying, but got lucky with some channel locks and it went in eventually. Definitely a lot more flexible. Took it for a ride after and still making the same noise lol, so only thing I could think is the cobb one being stiffer held it just high enough so that it didn't hit until it finally was broken and it dropped. I definitely would never be able to put a new cobb one on without taking apart the exhaust. That support brace that its hitting is really totally useless? After this I'm pissed and ready to just rip the thing off. Thinking that or either just grinding out a spot on it right where the exhaust would touch so it doesn't hit. Anyone think its worth trying to grind it out first? Or is just a waste of time and totally not even needed on? Thanks again for all the input. Figured id just include a pic of the stock one back on.
Gas Auto part Close-up Metal Fashion accessory

·
Registered
2016 ST1
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've seen at least 1 brace notched in recent memory, and also see folks just saying take it off.

I would probably try to leave it and adjust the exhaust if possible. If not, notch it.

Personal preference I suppose.
Do you know if there's anywhere to actually adjust it? Like you said earlier without having the slip joints I don't see anywhere I could adjust it or tigthen it. If I use a jack I can get it like 2 inches away from the brace without even cranking it, but I don't see anywhere it's even adjustable to tighten. I'm thinking of just notching the brace tomorrow, it shouldn't take long in the end but if there's an adjustment spot I would definitely try first.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts