Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I know exhaust questions are constantly asked. I found a thread about getting the exhaust to crackle and pop, but it wasn't a very good thread.

I'm wanting to my exhaust to crackle and pop like crazy. I want it to be loud. Currently I'm running a 2.5" straight pipe from the catback. It crackles and pops really well if I let out of the throttle under 2800 rpms, anything higher and it doesn't. I want an exhaust that crackles and pops a lot during deceleration and all that. Tell me what I need to do. Tune? Exhaust system? Downpipe?

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you consider getting a different exhaust, I would say go with Roush. Just got mine a few days ago and it's really loud. Definitely crackles and pops

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Borla may be what you're looking for as well. Check out the stickied exhaust (all 400 + pgs) which will have clips of pretty much all exhaust systems currently out on market.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you consider getting a different exhaust, I would say go with Roush. Just got mine a few days ago and it's really loud. Definitely crackles and pops
Thank you much! It's hard to tell on videos.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Borla may be what you're looking for as well. Check out the stickied exhaust (all 400 + pgs) which will have clips of pretty much all exhaust systems currently out on market.
I definitely will. Thank you! Just needed an idea of which ones were along my lines.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
A catless downpipe will take away some muffling so it might be a bit more raw. However, the actual snap crackle pop has next to do with the brand of the exhaust. It's about fuel management. So instead of beating this topic to death, know that it's with tuning fuel management and has nothing to do with the brand of metal tube you put on your car LOL

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
943 Posts
A catless downpipe will take away some muffling so it might be a bit more raw. However, the actual snap crackle pop has next to do with the brand of the exhaust. It's about fuel management. So instead of beating this topic to death, know that it's with tuning fuel management and has nothing to do with the brand of metal tube you put on your car LOL

Sent from my iPhone
Not entirely, flow characteristics will play into it some. Swapping the Aeroturbine in place of the MBRP produced more cracks and pops

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Not entirely, flow characteristics will play into it some. Swapping the Aeroturbine in place of the MBRP produced more cracks and pops Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Like I said its next to nothing though in the grand scheme of things. The snaps crackles and s*** are fuel management. The muffler might change it a little bit, but not a drastic amount.

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So that stratified tune would be my best bet? Along with a downpipe?

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
IMO yes. It all stems from fuel management so just attack it at the roots rather than switching mufflers jn and out for MARGINAL differences.

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
IMO yes. It all stems from fuel management so just attack it at the roots rather than switching mufflers jn and out for MARGINAL differences.

Sent from my iPhone
From what I'm reading, I'll need to buy the Cobb Accessport and then purchase the stratified tune?

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Which downpipe do you have?

I have a 200 cell catted downpipe. Its one of the ocdspeed downpipes. Like sithlord said i doubt it matters what brand as long as its a low cell count catted or catless downpipe it should open up some pops. Stratified also has a tune for it but i think i heard it's not safe to run daily.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
304 Posts
Stratified is a good company for tuning. You can also look at Deadhook Motorsports for that cal in the tune. The accessport is necessary though.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
you can ask any tuner to do it for you. Not like stratified are the only tuning company that can make your car do this. All it is, is fuel. Like @SiThlord said it has everything do with tuning, nothing to do with metal piping. I have a straight pipe, and it snaps, crackles, pops, rasps and every other sound you can think of.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts

Sent from my iPhone
100%
Look at the RS... if you watch the series on it they talk about changing tune on the car to add crackles and pops. RS didn't have it before and they didn't change the "pipes" under the car at all. The only modification to the car was the tune. A map like that WILL consume more fuel, literally has to, again if you watch that series or know what it is doing (adding fuel) then you know it is going to consume more, if that is what your going for then that is the sacrifice... assuming most people with a ST or RS really car about MAX MPG. (i for one don't)

On the ST you will need to cut the Muffler out if stock or get a after market exhaust... any one of them will do, literally will be on the tuner to do the rest, Stratified already has a tune for crackle and pops!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oh wow. Didn't know any of this. Thank you everyone for the help! So, I could get the Cobb Accessport and then just ask them to do the tune for me? Also, one person mentioned it's not good for daily driving, why is this?

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Oh wow. Didn't know any of this. Thank you everyone for the help! So, I could get the Cobb Accessport and then just ask them to do the tune for me? Also, one person mentioned it's not good for daily driving, why is this?

Highly recommend!!!! buying the APv3 from a tuner and get their maps with it! cheaper and you can build that relationship with the tuner. Pick a tuner and start the chat! You should be asking them what to run and what is safe for your car and mods. They can tell you what is going to be best for daily driving. and your driving style.

Honestly wouldn't want that loud of exhaust and pops and crackles just to go back and forth to work. but you can on the fly shift maps and have it for when you go to play. it is that easy. so mild tune for daily and then pops for the weekend drives

1 - 20 of 45 Posts