Ford Focus ST Forum banner
41 - 60 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
I think I have the winner. I watched this video by RGBFIVE:

The exhaust sounds EXACTLY like I wanted. Lot of rumble in the cabin, but no drone, nice snap crackle pop outside, but not deafening.

Anybody have this exhaust? Do you daily your car, and how do you like it?
That is the exhaust that I have. I would have mentioned it if not for the price... Which is right at our above your limit. I love it... But I also wanted the Milltek but had to pick between the two and the FRPP was going to get here faster...
Now there is the CNT, that sounds like a good option, and very affordable. But I have yet to hear it in person.

CrashMW

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus ST
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Update:

So Okay guys. Dear old Dad has stepped into the decision making process here. He is COMPLETELY against me getting any exhaust work done, he is old school and he thinks messing with a new car in any way is a big nono. However I have sweet talked (argued and nagged) him into letting me do it... but heres the thing, the exhaust note has to be pleasing to him. I am living under the "my house my rules" policy.. and he HATES the ford performance and borla/roush kits, says they sound too loud and like a diesel truck.... He likes the Cobb, but the thermal rd, he thinks are too raspy. I am going to show him CNT tomorrow.. but I am a bit concerned with the build quality and R&D put into it. Its a cheaper system, so that might mean less research and development was put into it and it is made of lesser material. I have seen some people on youtube having issues with their tips rattling.

MBRP is out, my buddy around the corner has it and it drones like HELL, and hes not even running a DP.

So... I am left with only one...well... two options if I consider CNT... but I want to shy away from any of the cheap stuff... so its Cobb or CNT..oh! and Magnaflow, they are in the running too.

Flowmaster is out, too loud by his opinion.

If there are any other Middle-of-the-road semi-quiet systems like these that arent overly aggressive, that I might have missed. Please list them. And if you have sound clips from both interior and exterior that will help a lot in the decision making process.
@StevenST I will show him Greddy tomorrow after work, no worries ;) But I fear he will have the same outlook, too loud/raspy. But fingers crossed.

·
Registered
206 Posts
The FSWerks Stealth 3" exhaust is probably the most tame 3" exhaust you'll find. The Mountune 2.5" exhaust is more mellow and quiet than that. Listen to some YouTube clips of those systems as well.

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
The FSWerks Stealth 3" exhaust is probably the most tame 3" exhaust you'll find. The Mountune 2.5" exhaust is more mellow and quiet than that. Listen to some YouTube clips of those systems as well.
Yes, these 2. I have the Mountune, and unless you're on the gas, you hardly know it's there. I'll most likely get the FSWerks Stealth at some point.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Update:

So Okay guys. Dear old Dad has stepped into the decision making process here. He is COMPLETELY against me getting any exhaust work done, he is old school and he thinks messing with a new car in any way is a big nono. However I have sweet talked (argued and nagged) him into letting me do it... but heres the thing, the exhaust note has to be pleasing to him. I am living under the "my house my rules" policy.. and he HATES the ford performance and borla/roush kits, says they sound too loud and like a diesel truck.... He likes the Cobb, but the thermal rd, he thinks are too raspy. I am going to show him CNT tomorrow.. but I am a bit concerned with the build quality and R&D put into it. Its a cheaper system, so that might mean less research and development was put into it and it is made of lesser material. I have seen some people on youtube having issues with their tips rattling.

MBRP is out, my buddy around the corner has it and it drones like HELL, and hes not even running a DP.

So... I am left with only one...well... two options if I consider CNT... but I want to shy away from any of the cheap stuff... so its Cobb or CNT..oh! and Magnaflow, they are in the running too.

If there are any other Middle-of-the-road semi-quiet systems like these that arent overly aggressive, that I might have missed. Please list them. And if you have sound clips from both interior and exterior that will help a lot in the decision making process.
@StevenST I will show him Greddy tomorrow after work, no worries ;) But I fear he will have the same outlook, too loud/raspy. But fingers crossed.
Show him a video of a quieter exhaust, tell him it's GReddy. Problem solved. Or move out.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Look at Milltek. The unresonated version checks every box but price. A louder than stock idle/rumble and just really "stock plus 1" untill you actually stomp on it where beats out the likes of mountune. Most of the fury is within a narrow range of 2500rpm and 4000rpm so it's a peach on the highway. Sometimes i wish it was louder but a down pipe could possibly fix that a bit.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
499 Posts
Update:

I will be taking a video of the CNT this coming week. I'll let you know...

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus ST
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 · (Edited)
Show him a video of a quieter exhaust, tell him it's GReddy. Problem solved. Or move out.
He only visits me once a month, I live in his old house, I pay him rent.

Only reason he is here right now is because his new home in Yosemite is being threatened by wild fires right now... so him and my mother came here when the evacuation happened... and then I brought up my plans in a conversation thinking nothing of it and the arguments began..

Thinking I am just going to wait till he goes back whenever the fire gets contained and put greddy on.

But I had another LONG talk with him last night, the conclusion of which is: "its your car, your money, your name is on it, dont say I didnt tell you so when you ruin your car" he still thinks its a bad idea, but he is realizing he needs to respect my personal freedoms.

Anyone on here dealt with Evasive Motorsports before? They have greddy in stock but I have no experience with them (though Greddy did actually direct me to them since their supplies were out, but Evasive is one of their distributors, said they had some in stock, and sure enough, they do)

·
Registered
302 Posts
I have CP-E and have not heard any other ones in person or had any experience with the ones you listed so I am of no help... mine is awesome though and I love the sound and the drone is minimal to me. Good luck!

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus ST
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Okay guys....

I think I have made my decision. Borla

Reasoning: my dealer installs these to their cars right off the truck for their special pre-tuned cars. So they have experience with it. Also, I prefer the idle tone and higher rpm sound of the borla to the Greddy. The Greddy to me is too bubbly at idle and the backfire "burble" isnt as sharp in sound as the borla. It was a close match between Cobb and Borla, but Borla won outright because Cobb is a bit too quiet of a note, and it produces more drone than the borla in the cabin.

If anyone has had a bad experience with Borla, now is the time to post about it. I will be purchasing and having the system installed either later this week or early next week, I will post pictures and video when its done.

Cheers!

-Patrick

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus ST
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
you can use the code BoostedST for 20% off for the month of July as well.

BooSTed Aspirations
Wow! Thanks for responding guys! Love your videos. I just personally dont like the Thermal sound, for the same reason I didnt like the Greddy too much: bubble sound at idle and decel. I like the cracks and pops to be very sharp, and the Borla is more aggressive while not being overly loud. I did talk to Jason over at Thermal though, and we went back and forth a bit to the point where he was offering free installation if I drove out to Lancaster.....tempting..... If you guys think I am making a huge mistake, let me know, I will hold off until I can hear a thermal in person. BTW I live in SoCal (ventura county) if you live close by would love to hear your car regardless of what I install.

Also, something to note: Borla is a bit on the quieter side when slow driving, which is something I need because I live in a residential area and I leave for work around 6:30am and my city does have a noise ordinance that lasts 10pm-7am and that exhaust sounded HELLA loud when you did the follow in the video. I have heard borla exhausts from the same perspective and they sound half as loud.

Regards,

-Patrick

·
Registered
219 Posts
Wow! Thanks for responding guys! Love your videos. I just personally dont like the Thermal sound, for the same reason I didnt like the Greddy too much: bubble sound at idle and decel. I like the cracks and pops to be very sharp, and the Borla is more aggressive while not being overly loud. I did talk to Jason over at Thermal though, and we went back and forth a bit to the point where he was offering free installation if I drove out to Lancaster.....tempting..... If you guys think I am making a huge mistake, let me know, I will hold off until I can hear a thermal in person. BTW I live in SoCal (ventura county) if you live close by would love to hear your car regardless of what I install.

Also, something to note: Borla is a bit on the quieter side when slow driving, which is something I need because I live in a residential area and I leave for work around 6:30am and my city does have a noise ordinance that lasts 10pm-7am and that exhaust sounded HELLA loud when you did the follow in the video. I have heard borla exhausts from the same perspective and they sound half as loud.

Regards,

-Patrick
I was extremely skeptical of the Thermal as well. Tony and I were calling it the baby Cobb. lol it's quiet when cruising and opens up when you get on the throttle. The video doesn't quite have the sound of it, it's best to hear it in person.

BooSTed Aspirations

·
Registered
499 Posts

Regards,

-Patrick
Yeah, you would not have liked the CNT, it does not crackle or pop.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus ST
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
I think i am going to go either Magnaflow or Borla. Leaning now towards magnaflow, it has that same deep tone, but its much quieter and less annoying to my neighbors, and it still has crackle and pops, but they are more mild....and its 300 dollars cheaper lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think you'll like the Magnaflow. I run their cat back with a catted Cobb downpipe and it's got a nice split personality. It's loud when you want it to be and quiet when you're just cruising or trying to creep through your neighborhood after coming home late. Highway drone is very minimal and holding a conversation with passengers is no problem.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Anyone on here dealt with Evasive Motorsports before? They have greddy in stock but I have no experience with them (though Greddy did actually direct me to them since their supplies were out, but Evasive is one of their distributors, said they had some in stock, and sure enough, they do)
Ya, Evasive is more popular with the evo owners scene. I have dealt with them when I had my evo. Great shop. They had some fast evos as well.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus ST
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 · (Edited)
Okay guys, so after discovering Magnaflow's "dirty laundry" with how they treat their customers, I aint touching them with a 40ft pole. On the contrary. Borla's million mile warranty is amazing, and I have seen on the forums and youtube/review sites how their response is towards customer complaints. Top notch!

My father also likes them for this reason (and I got him on my side finally) so we want to go Borla. But we both still really like the cobb... but I cant seem to find any info on their warranty. Its down to one of these two, i am really leaning toward the borla for price and quality of service with that warranty, sounds really smexy too, but that cobb sounds really nice too. Which you think would be better for a suburban environment? I dont want my neighbors to hate me when I leave every morning at 6:30am lol, but if they are both about the same noise level, they will have to just suck it up because i am doing it one way or another.

Would love to hear your experiences with these 2, I should have one of the two systems on order by tomorrow at the end of the day, unless something unforeseen comes up.

Cheers!

Edit: Thermal RD is also in the running, they sound amazing and have a great warranty.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus ST
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
you can use the code BoostedST for 20% off for the month of July as well.

BooSTed Aspirations
I am talking with Jake Asher at Thermal right now, looks like I might be getting the themral. Their warranty is comparable with Borla's its just a matter of getting some more information from him and I may be finalizing my purchase today. Thanks for all the info.

Reactions: mcflyin619
41 - 60 of 93 Posts