Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus ST
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi!

As a lot of you have probably read in my other thread, I was going to do a Res delete, but after some careful thinking I want to go with a more refined sound, so I want to do a full cat back. Would like to see what you guys have on your cars, and hear your experiences. I want a system that isnt too much on the pricey side (under 800) with little to no drone. This is my daily, so I want to keep it pleasant in the cabin, but when I roll my window down under an overpass, I want to hear some nice sounds.

So far these are the candidates:

#1 Greddy
#2 Injen
#3 Cobb
#4 Thermal R&D
#4 Magnaflow

Keep in mind, I live in SoCal. I make occasional trips to Yosemite in the spring and summer, but beyond that, zero exposure to rust-causing conditions. No road salt, no snow, and I am far enough inland from the ocean that sea air isnt a problem.

Would love to hear your thoughts!

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
I have been youtubing videos at the AFE catback, appears decent. Maybe another one to consider on that list?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Borla, you won't be let down. If you shop around you can pay under 800 shipped

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus ST
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have been youtubing videos at the AFE catback, appears decent. Maybe another one to consider on that list?

Sounds Very sexy, but with that loud rasp, I am concerned about some serious drone at highway speeds.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus ST
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Borla, you won't be let down. If you shop around you can pay under 800 shipped

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I have heard one in person, they are very nice. When I went to my local community trusted shop, the owner said buyer beware of borla products, he "does not, will not sell borla" because he said they make their tubing too thin and it tends to crack over the years.

Whether this is true, I do not know. If there is someone on here who has the borla on a high-mileage car, and has had it most of that time, I would like to hear their experience.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus ST
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus ST
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-discussions/97705-back-dealer-again-time-no-updates.html

Anyone familiar with this thread?... It is situations like these that scare the crap out of me when I want to do a mod. I could totally see a dealer (or my insurance, because I have an extended 6 year warranty through Mercury) saying "well, you put an exhaust on, the vibrations made the sensors go bad and them going bad made the wiring harness fail, sooooooo your not covered..."

·
Registered
878 Posts
GReddy. No vids, sold the car not too long after I installed, but (I think I've posted this multiple times today) it's the best sounding exhaust on the ST as far as I'm concerned. I'm not a brand snob, would have gone custom or from a smaller vendor without question, but I watched and listened to multiple vids for years trying to find an exhaust I liked and never found one until the GReddy came out.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-discussions/97705-back-dealer-again-time-no-updates.html

Anyone familiar with this thread?... It is situations like these that scare the crap out of me when I want to do a mod. I could totally see a dealer (or my insurance, because I have an extended 6 year warranty through Mercury) saying "well, you put an exhaust on, the vibrations made the sensors go bad and them going bad made the wiring harness fail, sooooooo your not covered..."
I work at a dealer, and I work with aftermarket warranty companies all the time. I havent yet seen any issues where they denied a claim due to afermarket exhausts. Hell, we just got a customer with no service maintenance history, collected a fuel sample and found had bad fuel, car has 45k miles. The pistons cracked and scored the sidewall. Its gonna need a new engine and we are gonna warranty it. lol

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus ST
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I work at a dealer, and I work with aftermarket warranty companies all the time. I havent yet seen any issues where they denied a claim due to afermarket exhausts. Hell, we just got a customer with no service maintenance history, collected a fuel sample and found had bad fuel, car has 45k miles. The pistons cracked and scored the sidewall. Its gonna need a new engine and we are gonna warranty it. lol
What is the dealer? would love to come to you for service, if it is in LA, I am not far.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus ST
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
GReddy. No vids, sold the car not too long after I installed, but (I think I've posted this multiple times today) it's the best sounding exhaust on the ST as far as I'm concerned. I'm not a brand snob, would have gone custom or from a smaller vendor without question, but I watched and listened to multiple vids for years trying to find an exhaust I liked and never found one until the GReddy came out.
Why did you sell the car, if you dont mind me asking.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus ST
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think I have the winner. I watched this video by RGBFIVE:

The exhaust sounds EXACTLY like I wanted. Lot of rumble in the cabin, but no drone, nice snap crackle pop outside, but not deafening.

Anybody have this exhaust? Do you daily your car, and how do you like it?

·
Registered
289 Posts
I think I have the winner. I watched this video by RGBFIVE:

The exhaust sounds EXACTLY like I wanted. Lot of rumble in the cabin, but no drone, nice snap crackle pop outside, but not deafening.

Anybody have this exhaust? Do you daily your car, and how do you like it?
This is Borla with a resonator. (Built by Borla)

I have had the Borla for 35k and still love it. Would definitely recommend. If you end up doing a dp, it is loud, but still amazing.

Want louder, go Borla... Want quieter go FRPP

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
530 Posts
I've been following it for a bit. That dude's got a lemon, don't compare your car to his. Only bad news makes headlines

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus ST
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I only got about 1200 miles on the clock right now. Should I wait to change the exhaust encase something goes wrong that was factory related, but they use my exhaust as an excuse to get out of fixing it?

1 - 20 of 93 Posts