Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! This is actually my first post to this site. I bought my FoST mid-November last year and it already had a Roush Exhaust on it. Now I'm realizing the exhaust is a bit too loud for me. I'm looking to buy something like the Milltek exhaust and install it but I'm currently at University in State College. I'd love to sell my Roush Exhaust to someone here and maybe get some help installing the new one if I lower the price a bit. I'm new to the modding scene, so I'm looking for any advice you guys have!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Where are you located and how much would you like to get for it? I have a friend that may be very interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 ST1, FBO, GTX2867R Gen2 .64-AR, Spec stage 2 clutch, Quaife LSD, Fortune Auto 500 coil-overs.
327 Posts
I'd recommend the Mountune exhaust if you want something with performance but no drone or annoying sounds. It's a beautiful exhaust, sounds great at high rpm yet when cruising is very mild even stock sounding. Just about all of the 3 inch cat back are going to have drone with the exception of a few.. Mountune is 2.5 inch.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd recommend the Mountune exhaust if you want something with performance but no drone or annoying sounds. It's a beautiful exhaust, sounds great at high rpm yet when cruising is very mild even stock sounding. Just about all of the 3 inch cat back are going to have drone with the exception of a few.. Mountune is 2.5 inch.
I was considering the Mountune exhaust for exactly that reason! I definitely like the increased responsiveness of a 3" and I was assured by every single review I could find that the Milltek has absolutely no drone. It's price tag does reflect that with the base catback system costing $900!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Where are you located and how much would you like to get for it? I have a friend that may be very interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And I was hoping to get around $450 for it to help pay for the new one, but I'm not sure how well aftermarket exhausts hold their value.

·
Registered
744 Posts
And I was hoping to get around $450 for it to help pay for the new one, but I'm not sure how well aftermarket exhausts hold their value.
Highly depends on the brand and the amount of mileage on them. If the exhaust is less than a year old and (assuming) it has no damage to it, you should have no problem selling it for $450.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus ST
677 Posts
If your going to buy a 2.5 inch exhaust with no drone, get the CNT exhaust, its mild, got a nice throaty sound and no drone, best part, its 400 bucks.

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If your going to buy a 2.5 inch exhaust with no drone, get the CNT exhaust, its mild, got a nice throaty sound and no drone, best part, its 400 bucks.

That price tag is appealing. From the videos I saw it did seem a bit too quiet. I liked the Roush exhaust's note in the higher RPMs it was just the 2500-3500 sound that gets at me. It was almost impossible to drive quietly. I will have to consider that though, thank you for mentioning it!

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus ST
677 Posts
That price tag is appealing. From the videos I saw it did seem a bit too quiet. I liked the Roush exhaust's note in the higher RPMs it was just the 2500-3500 sound that gets at me. It was almost impossible to drive quietly. I will have to consider that though, thank you for mentioning it!
I would also recommend you could add a large straight through muffler to the Roush exhaust to absorb some noise, another cheaper solution. If you happen to have the stock exhaust, or happen to acquire it in the sale of your Roush, put it on, cut off the resonator and replace it with a pipe, then cut open the rear muffler and remove the packing. This leaves all of the sound tuning equipment behind that makes the car sound nice, while making it decently loud without much drone.

Here's a video:

I have heard the car in person, its very loud on the road but not annoyingly loud. As for drone, not sure, the owner claims no drone, and I have the same setup on my car minus the rear muffler hack, so if it adds more drone I don't know, but as for my setup, it sounds nice and has zero drone, but its say quieter than the muffler hack.

·
Administrator
11,812 Posts
I am in State College, PA.
Welcome aboard, updating your profile with your location helps us, to help you.

There are quite a few members out that way, and it puts you in range of some of the shenanigans I organize.
@brian60

As far as the exhaust is concerned, it's a very personal thing, and different combinations of DP and exhausts make different sounds/possible drone. It takes a bit to figure it all out.

I run a rare catless DP, and the Agency power twin tip. No drone, but people say it's a bit loud. I love it, lmao

·
Registered
530 Posts
First off, WE ARE

There's a few buy/sell/trade groups on Facebook that are pretty active such as Focus St buy/sell/trade, East Coast ST/RS buy/sell/trade, and Ford Focus ST/RS buy/sell/trade (US). Those are the one's I'm a member of. MBRP is a common choice as well and many say it has very little drone. If you can find a local club out there, you can try and get a ride in someone's with an exhaust you may be interested in.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Welcome aboard, updating your profile with your location helps us, to help you.

There are quite a few members out that way, and it puts you in range of some of the shenanigans I organize.
@brian60

As far as the exhaust is concerned, it's a very personal thing, and different combinations of DP and exhausts make different sounds/possible drone. It takes a bit to figure it all out.

I run a rare catless DP, and the Agency power twin tip. No drone, but people say it's a bit loud. I love it, lmao
Ohhh, someone from State eh? @ryana.bury I'm up there almost every weekend at 2 friends' place (they're seniors) and my Central PA ST/RS Facebook group commonly has meet-ups near State College. If you're looking for a little local club that is in your immediate area within an hour who does monthly little meet-ups to drink a beer or two and have dinner (if you aren't 21 it's cool you don't HAVE to drink :p ), shoot me a PM :cool:

If you'd like I can see if anyone in my group is looking for an exhaust and is interested in the Roush or maybe a trade I can.

·
Registered
2016 ST1, FBO, GTX2867R Gen2 .64-AR, Spec stage 2 clutch, Quaife LSD, Fortune Auto 500 coil-overs.
327 Posts
The differences in performance from a 3" to a 2.5 inch mountune exhaust are so minimal you'd never feel the difference or even see that much loss on even a dyno. That's just my 2 cents. I go with mountune because of build quality and their reputation as well as the fact that they won't void warranty.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update: I got the Milltek exhaust installed this Friday and it is absolutely amazing! I am surprised how there is absolutely no drone and it sounds great at WOT. For anyone else wondering about getting the Milltek exhaust I think it was well worth the money. I'll be selling the Roush exhaust soon if anyone is interested. I'll wait until I have a few more posts under my belt to post in the For Sale section. Thank you for all your advice, guys!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey, a little late to the game, but i have a 3" MBRP catback and it's very throaty at WOT but even at 70mph cruising there's no drone. It's very quiet when cruising. Even at low speeds. It was only $600 brand new.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts