Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi I'm looking to get a new exhaust for my '14 ST. I currently have the Flowmaster American thunder and need to find something that isn't quite as loud at higher speeds (70-80 mph). Anything between 2500 and 3000 rpm under load gets really annoying on the highway, and I often end up downshifting to 5th just to reduce the volume.

I have a stock downpipe/cat and a cold air intake.

I've heard great things about both Borla and MBRP, but I'm open to almost anything. I want something that sounds better than stock but is still pretty tame and not raspy. I want my car to sound good, but not be that annoying guy that wakes everyone up in the morning when I leave for work. I often have passengers so cabin volume is a big deal for me.

·
Registered
87 Posts
maybe add a resonator to your existing mid pipe. amazon has some good vibrant resonators that you could have welded in

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
maybe add a resonator to your existing mid pipe. amazon has some good vibrant resonators that you could have welded in
I actually was going to do this, but that resonator won't fit in this exhaust without creating some weird angles which would significantly reduce flow. That's not too big of a deal, but I'm afraid it would build up a lot of heat.

I also talked to a professional about it, and he did not think that it would actually do much to reduce the drone.

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
I actually was going to do this, but that resonator won't fit in this exhaust without creating some weird angles which would significantly reduce flow. That's not too big of a deal, but I'm afraid it would build up a lot of heat.

I also talked to a professional about it, and he did not think that it would actually do much to reduce the drone.

Adding a small resonator in isn't going to reduce flow enough to add a bunch of heat...
Also the resonator would definitely reduce the drone, done a few of them locally for people.

Your best bet would be to straight pipe a Factory exhaust and throw in a good muffler and resonator.
3" exhaust on MBRP will drone, I have one.
The Borla is a good exhaust but pricey. Way more so than just adding a resonator or additional muffler to your current system.

·
Registered
629 Posts
if you're stock turbo you shouldnt worry about exhaust flow lol. stock exhaust is 2.5 and even 2.25 in one point and flows more than adequately for stock turbo. vibrant res should fit fine where the stock one was

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
Yea, if you're even considered being worried about flow you need to get rid of that stock downpipe.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
stick with a 2.5" catback (3" are noisier). Mountune, Ford Racing (Borla+a resonator), or Magnaflow sound like they're up your ally. Whatever exhaust you get, keep in mind having a resonator and muffler will help keep it quiet (as opposed to no resonator), 2.5" is going to be more quiet than 3", exhaust will get louder if you get an aftermarket DP, if you are planning to stay stock turbo, there is no performance benefit from a 3" exhaust...it will be louder.

Borla-I like it but you may prefer the more quiet version with the addition of a resonator (Ford Racing). I like the sound of MBRP but at certain rpms, it drones/cabin sound gets annoying...to me at least. Note-this was with a catted downpipe and big turbo.

Reactions: FSQM2

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea, if you're even considered being worried about flow you need to get rid of that stock downpipe.
Good Point.

Thanks for the input, guys. I think I'm going to give the Vibrant resonator a shot on this one. I'll put it on in addition to the resonator that's on now, basically the same setup as MBRP or Cobb. Relatively easy to do since I work at a weld shop and can do the work myself. I think it would be better to waste the $85 trying the resonator out than spending $900 only to realize that the $80 would have done what I want. If it doesn't work, I'll try the Ford Performance one since that sounds like what I am really looking for.

·
Registered
2016 ST1, FBO, GTX2867R Gen2 .64-AR, Spec stage 2 clutch, Quaife LSD, Fortune Auto 500 coil-overs.
327 Posts
Go with mountune, sounds almost stock at low rpm, has no drone, good performance and has a nice high performance sounds on WOT. I have one and love it. Sometimes wish I had a louder one untill I see the copious amount of people complaining about drone on almost all 3" systems.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I come from decades of owning Mustangs and never saw as many people changing or modifying aftermarket exhaust systems as I have seen with the Focus ST. I am in the same boat. I installed a Magnaflow DP back exhaust and while the sound is not bad there is a little drone at higher RPMs that is annoying. Luckily I got my exhaust from a guy who was turning in a leased ST and turned his car back to stock. So, I got my Magnaflow for half the price of new. I also saved the rear muffler section of my stock exhaust. I am getting ready to install a Depo catted DP. After this install I have a feeling I will be installing the stock muffler on the back end of my exhaust.

After much research and seeing threads like this I have come to the conclusion if you want better flowing exhaust than stock which is not really a bad flowing exhaust to begin with, and no drone, stick with either the Ford Racing or Borla. Those are the only two I have not seen people complain about being to loud, droning, or sounding like crap.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
milltek ftw.

·
Registered
23 Posts
milltek ftw.
If your resonator addition doesn't work out I totally agree with NJFocusST. I put on the Milltek exhaust recently and it's crazy how great it sounds. I would say it's reminiscent of Audi's performance exhausts with a more refined European feel. The only downside is it is a bit expensive, but for me it was totally worth it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts