Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

This is my first post, hopefully I put it in the right section, if not mods please move it where it belongs.

My current setup is basically stock except the green filter. I am planning on going full big turbo, tune, and the works in the future.
My first mod is for the exhaust, I love my cars LOUD but am trying to preserve the quite stock exhaust so I don't have to always make everyone deaf.

The setup I am going for is a Depo Racing catless downpipe followed by QTP's variable exhaust cutout with Y-pipe. My question is, has anyone done a setup like this before OR if not what may be some negative effects I will get from this set up?

Note: I am planning on welding the in the cutout and putting it in-line with the stock exhaust.
(So 3" catless dp > 3" cutout w/ y-pipe > 3" cutout welded / reduced to 2.5" stock exhaust)

I do plan on getting a tune pretty soon after and this way I could switch my tune based upon open and closed exhaust. I know that will be necessary so that I don't mess anything up.

IMG_20170617_205306_847.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input, I'll consider this option too. The only issue is that I won't have the y-pipe to dump the exhaust straight after the downpipe like with the other one.

·
Administrator
11,846 Posts
Hey everyone,

This is my first post, hopefully I put it in the right section, if not mods please move it where it belongs.

My current setup is basically stock except the green filter. I am planning on going full big turbo, tune, and the works in the future.
My first mod is for the exhaust, I love my cars LOUD but am trying to preserve the quite stock exhaust so I don't have to always make everyone deaf.

The setup I am going for is a Depo Racing catless downpipe followed by QTP's variable exhaust cutout with Y-pipe. My question is, has anyone done a setup like this before OR if not what may be some negative effects I will get from this set up?

Note: I am planning on welding the in the cutout and putting it in-line with the stock exhaust.
(So 3" catless dp > 3" cutout w/ y-pipe > 3" cutout welded / reduced to 2.5" stock exhaust)

I do plan on getting a tune pretty soon after and this way I could switch my tune based upon open and closed exhaust. I know that will be necessary so that I don't mess anything up.

View attachment 259585
Also you should know that the EFR turbos have a proprietary down pipe. So you would be potentially wasting money or reducing your turbo options to GTX bolt ins by going with the Depo DP right now. Just a heads up.

·
Premium Member
13,881 Posts
Thanks for the input, I'll consider this option too. The only issue is that I won't have the y-pipe to dump the exhaust straight after the downpipe like with the other one.
Maybe I'm confused but the TB one dumps right after the downpipe. It does remove the he factory resonator so the exhaust won't be as quiet. The factory muffler will still be in place.

Sent from another galaxy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe I'm confused but the TB one dumps right after the downpipe. It does remove the he factory resonator so the exhaust won't be as quiet. The factory muffler will still be in place.

Sent from another galaxy.
Ah, no you are correct! I didn't really understand how they set it up, but it does look like it may be a better alternative! Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also you should know that the EFR turbos have a proprietary down pipe. So you would be potentially wasting money or reducing your turbo options to GTX bolt ins by going with the Depo DP right now. Just a heads up.
I was not aware of this, however I was potentially looking into GTX turbos anyways. I've read they have lots of potential to hit around 400hp which is my goal with this car.

I'm fairly new to cars and this is my first major build so just trying to get my feet on the ground first haha

1 - 8 of 8 Posts