Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. So I'm trying to figure out if I have an exhaust leak. My crackles and pops tune from Stratified hasn't sounded the same the past couple of days and after a few revs after work my exhaust sounded funny. A little raspy or tinny like air pressure could be escaping. I am not sure if this is the issue. How would I know if there is a pressure leak? Is there a way to tell on my AP? I have the MBRP.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
Hey guys. So I'm trying to figure out if I have an exhaust leak. My crackles and pops tune from Stratified hasn't sounded the same the past couple of days and after a few revs after work my exhaust sounded funny. A little raspy or tinny like air pressure could be escaping. I am not sure if this is the issue. How would I know if there is a pressure leak? Is there a way to tell on my AP? I have the MBRP.

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts

Did you somehow damage the catalytic converter with the pops, or break something internally in the muffler. Like a broken baffle, give the muffler a shake when under the car and see if you can hear anything loose.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What does a leak sound like? Mine is almost like a vibration or a rasp.

I have to wait for my car to cool down to climb underneath and can't do it right now anyways.

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
What does a leak sound like? Mine is almost like a vibration or a rasp.

I have to wait for my car to cool down to climb underneath and can't do it right now anyways.

It sounds like a rattle. The welds breaks and the resonator vibrates and leaks. Both of our exhaust cracked around the rear resonator. If thats it take it to a muffler shop and have them weld all of them

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will probably go to a muffler shop this weekend to have them take a look then. I will crawl under the car later to take a look.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Take a listen and let me know what you think. @slstomper

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I might also add that I did see some white vapor coming from my exhaust today which usually means it is burn off excess of something. Does that help with a diagnosis?

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah it sound like it's leaking. Mine was very similar
Off the the exhaust shop soon. Think it's the clamps or welds?

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Could be either. Do you plan on taking it out any time soon? If not weld it all up. You wont have another issue
No I don't. I hope they can diagnose it and then weld it. I don't want them to just weld it and then it's not the problem. Now will they be welding the muffler and res or anywhere the clamps were?

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
No I don't. I hope they can diagnose it and then weld it. I don't want them to just weld it and then it's not the problem. Now will they be welding the muffler and res or anywhere the clamps were?

If the weld cracked they will have to weld the resonator where the pipe goes in like in the pic above. There are a couple spot welds that crack. If its a clamp then the wont have to

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If the weld cracked they will have to weld the resonator where the pipe goes in like in the pic above. There are a couple spot welds that crack. If its a clamp then the wont have to
Haha maybe I should delete the res if that's the case.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
They just called and said nothing seems to be wrong and that they tightened my clamps. I explained the issue and how other have had their welds crack so he is going to look at it again. The shop also said "welding it isn't a good idea because you can easily take it apart which is nice". If that is their only concern should I just have them weld it all up anyways because I don'y plan on removing it and if I do years down the road then oh well.
@SIstomper @ [MENTION=35728]StormTrooperST

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So they ended up welding the resonator and the seemed to be the culprit. The raspy buzzy sound is gone, but it doesn't sound like.it did before. When I first got the Stratified 8.0 loud extra crackles tune pretty much every time I went off throttle over 3k rpms my exhaust would go pop-pop-pop-pop and I loved that! Also my lower gear shifts usually got an audible pop between gears.

Now pretty much the second time this exhaust issue happened @[email protected] had to tweak for a torque issue. I am not sure what could be causing this.

Now in low gear I get some pops and crackles and gurgles, but nothing like before.

Any thoughts? I'm.also considering scrapping the MBRP and getting the roush CBE.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts