Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decided (sort of) to do a muffler delete. I have watched plenty of videos and still can't decide and still confused on a few things. I want to know how loud a muffler delete is, if anyone has an axleback with a j-pipe or is it worth just getting a catback, and how do I get the turbo whistle through the exhaust because 90% of YouTube videos don't have the whistle.

Here is what I want. A throaty exhaust with lost of pops and snarls but quiet enough to withstand daily and long trips. Also the turbo whistle is a must. I'm wanting something that won't break the bank. Even a simple axleback is expensive. Also what happened to OCD axleback. I can't find them.

Intake: I have heard taking the cover off the box helps with turbo sound and fun intake noise but doesn't that hurt performance with warm air going in? What intakes have you guys used? I understand that the concept of an oem intake airbox and tubing on any stock car has Chambers and extra routes to quiet intake noise. The st has 2 pipes going into 1 airbox I want an airbox with 1 route. So I did some looking up on the ol Google and found a nice looking airbox from Graham Good but it's in the UK and I don't know if it ships to the US. Anyone have experience with them?

So to recap. I want an exhaust that screams turbo. Noise is a second. If I can't get turbo with quite I'll go loud if I must. And what intakes do y'all have? Open, closed whatever.

P.s. Couldn't finds a straight answer but is there a silencer ring or baffle for the turbo that I can remove to make it even louder?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
You're not going to get throaty out of a focus, so get that out of your head right now.

You're not going to get rumbles and pops and turbo whistle without sacrificing daily driver comfort. For those things to happen you're going to need a very open, very high flowing exhaust and it's going to be loud.

The AF Dynamic intake on eBay is cheap and loud af.

HTH.

Sent from my Toaster using Tapatalk

·
Registered
344 Posts
If you want to hear your turbo through your exhaust you will need to go decat and straight through. you may get away with 1 muffler in the system but I have a 100cell cat and one magnaflow muffler (3 inch all the way) and can't hear the spool noise in the exhaust (I am assuming you mean from the outside of the car).

For intake, if you want really loud I had/have (modified) the process west intake and it was loud as hell with the stock turbo. The injen intake is also very loud.

With regards to no air box heat, this has been flogged to death on here and if it does have some minuscule effect it's not like 0.01 second off your quarter mile time would matter on the street.

So to summarize no cat straight pipe is loud as **** and will have external turbo whistle. Injen or process west (only ones I have heard in person) have very loud turbo spool noises.

Lastly if you make your exhaust extremely loud to hear turbo whistle you won't hear your intake noises any more.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I hear turbo whistle with a non-catted DP and stock exhaust. I believe most of the turbo whistle you're gonna get from a non-catted DP.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have narrowed it down to mbrp aluminized on sale or muffler delete with j-pipe. Can't decide. As for intake haven't decided yet but I still want someone to chime in about the Graham Goode airbox

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
I have narrowed it down to mbrp aluminized on sale or muffler delete with j-pipe. Can't decide. As for intake haven't decided yet but I still want someone to chime in about the Graham Goode airbox

Do you live in the states? If you do, then I can help you out with the MBRP, PM me. And you definitely need to go catless in order to hear turbo whistle. Then you'll REALLY hear it.

Edit: Oh, and MBRP is a quiet exhaust when you aren't ripping on it, then when you do get on it...it's pretty damn throaty for a 4 cylinder exhaust. It's my favorite exhaust I've heard and the only one close to it is the Cobb Turboback setup.

Reactions: Ripple

·
Registered
33 Posts
If you want to hear your turbo through your exhaust you will need to go decat and straight through. you may get away with 1 muffler in the system but I have a 100cell cat and one magnaflow muffler (3 inch all the way) and can't hear the spool noise in the exhaust (I am assuming you mean from the outside of the car).

For intake, if you want really loud I had/have (modified) the process west intake and it was loud as hell with the stock turbo. The injen intake is also very loud.

With regards to no air box heat, this has been flogged to death on here and if it does have some minuscule effect it's not like 0.01 second off your quarter mile time would matter on the street.

So to summarize no cat straight pipe is loud as **** and will have external turbo whistle. Injen or process west (only ones I have heard in person) have very loud turbo spool noises.

Lastly if you make your exhaust extremely loud to hear turbo whistle you won't hear your intake noises any more.
Apparently my friends say that they can hear a good amount of turbo noise during wot. My exhaust setup is a custom 2.5in straight pipe, single magnaflow resonator and stock cat.

It's nothing crazy and definitely no whistle, it's more of a whoosh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you live in the states? If you do, then I can help you out with the MBRP, PM me. And you definitely need to go catless in order to hear turbo whistle. Then you'll REALLY hear it.

Edit: Oh, and MBRP is a quiet exhaust when you aren't ripping on it, then when you do get on it...it's pretty damn throaty for a 4 cylinder exhaust. It's my favorite exhaust I've heard and the only one close to it is the Cobb Turboback setup.
Yea I live in the states. North Carolina. I found an mbrp catback on eBay the aluminized one for 415. It's on sale because apparently it was used as a display for MBRP. I'd put the link but I don't want to get banned so. Also won't catless void the warranty and set a MIL?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Yea I live in the states. North Carolina. I found an mbrp catback on eBay the aluminized one for 415. It's on sale because apparently it was used as a display for MBRP. I'd put the link but I don't want to get banned so. Also won't catless void the warranty and set a MIL?

Might be able to beat that price on the alum MBRP, I'll let you know.

And there is no such thing as "voiding the warranty," you can only for example replace the downpipe then say somehow your turbo dies because of reduced backpressure (this won't happen...but I'm giving an example). If they prove the downpipe caused the turbo issue...then they won't use the warranty. That's how warranty works. No such thing as voiding it. So, if you replace the downpipe with one with a cat or one without and somehow it causes an issue, the warranty is just as busted. So, there is a risk associated with doing that mod, however, I haven't seen a single issue on this forum from anyone who has ever replaced it. And if something does go wrong, get under the car and take the downpipe off, and put the stock one back on, then take it to the dealer. They'll never know.

If you go catless, you'll get a check engine light unless you either 1- get a tune that disables it or 2- get a defouler. It's a little 2 inch long bend piece of tubing that just moves the O2 sensor away from the pipe so it doesn't read the difference in gases. (You don't have emissions testing where you live, right? If you do, then don't change downpipe or you'll fail.)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Might be able to beat that price on the alum MBRP, I'll let you know.

And there is no such thing as "voiding the warranty," you can only for example replace the downpipe then say somehow your turbo dies because of reduced backpressure (this won't happen...but I'm giving an example). If they prove the downpipe caused the turbo issue...then they won't use the warranty. That's how warranty works. No such thing as voiding it. So, if you replace the downpipe with one with a cat or one without and somehow it causes an issue, the warranty is just as busted. So, there is a risk associated with doing that mod, however, I haven't seen a single issue on this forum from anyone who has ever replaced it. And if something does go wrong, get under the car and take the downpipe off, and put the stock one back on, then take it to the dealer. They'll never know.

If you go catless, you'll get a check engine light unless you either 1- get a tune that disables it or 2- get a defouler. It's a little 2 inch long bend piece of tubing that just moves the O2 sensor away from the pipe so it doesn't read the difference in gases. (You don't have emissions testing where you live, right? If you do, then don't change downpipe or you'll fail.)
Wow man u know your stuff. I went ahead and ordered an MBRP that was on a special "eclipse" sale... whatever it was a good price (250) but anyways yea I have emissions but NC is doing away with it in September.

I've been thinking about a catless downpipe but that will be after intake and charge pipes upgrade. Then an intercooler and turbo and tune lol. But back to the topic I know about the defoulers iv used them before I was just wondering if could get away without using one, I guess not.

The Graham Goode intake is 675 USD so I'll pass on that. Still wondering about a good intake

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Wow man u know your stuff. I went ahead and ordered an MBRP that was on a special "eclipse" sale... whatever it was a good price (250) but anyways yea I have emissions but NC is doing away with it in September.

I've been thinking about a catless downpipe but that will be after intake and charge pipes upgrade. Then an intercooler and turbo and tune lol. But back to the topic I know about the defoulers iv used them before I was just wondering if could get away without using one, I guess not.

The Graham Goode intake is 675 USD so I'll pass on that. Still wondering about a good intake

Thanks, hope I can help! :p

If you wish to upgrade the turbo then a downpipe upgrade is definitely a good idea, since you will see 0 gains until you get a tune regardless of what you bolt onto the car, you don't have to get a defouler and you can just wait until you get a tune to get the downpipe and install it. Then you will have no CEL and not have emissions inspection to ruin your fun. I have a defouler but I only have it in case I need to take my car in for warranty work in the future so that I can uninstall my tune and install the defouler and they won't complain about the tune. Got it for like $7 on amazon.

I can help you with an intake also :cool: let me see what I can do and I'll shoot you a PM.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts