Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I am looking at a track edition AWE exhaust. Would this be too loud or not pass an emissions test in California?
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
6,637 Posts
I think pretty much any after market exhaust is illegal in California these days; in any case, I don't see anyone advertising that this system is CARB compliant.
 

·
Premium Member
2017 Kona Blue ST1
Joined
·
331 Posts
Check out this and connect with the OP as they just went through this.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
Cat back will typically pass every smog test in California. If you get any unresonated exhaust it'll typically be too loud in the legal sense. However, if you drive like a dick you're gonna attract attention. Don't go WOT on surface streets and you'll never have a concern. LE has discretion, it's 95% your attitude towards the officer and what you were doing. The other 5% is if it's highway patrol/traffic cops or just a patrol officer lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the responses! I might just have to roll the dice and take it off for ref if need be then. It sounds so good, it’s hard to pass on it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Get the tourin version of the AWE and add on the track conversion. Then you can switch back and forth as needed. I have the track edition and haven't had any issues. But I also don't live in SoCal or drive like a total hoon.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Get the tourin version of the AWE and add on the track conversion. Then you can switch back and forth as needed. I have the track edition and haven't had any issues. But I also don't live in SoCal or drive like a total hoon.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Oh that’s not a bad idea. The touring sounds good and probably doesn’t catch quite as much attention either if I kept it on.
 

·
Registered
2015 Focus ST
Joined
·
52 Posts
I live in Riverside, CA and previously in Hesperia. I've had the Roush for 4 years now and haven't had any issues. Even got a speeding ticket on the 10 in Rialto and no word about the exhaust. The Roush only has a resonator and no muffler. But I generally am not driving WOT.
 

·
Premium Member
2014 Focus ST ST3.
Joined
·
252 Posts
Thanks for all the responses! I might just have to roll the dice and take it off for ref if need be then. It sounds so good, it’s hard to pass on it.
You're fine. I'm straight piped with one resonator and the Touring AWE... I have my cat sitting in my garage and every two years I just slap it on, heat it up and passed smog every time.
 
  • Like
Reactions: wingnutt

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Hey guys! I am looking at a track edition AWE exhaust. Would this be too loud or not pass an emissions test in California?
Swap out the stock muffler with a magnaflow from your local muffler shop. It will sound better and you'll never have any trouble passing emissions. My friend in San Bernardino did that to his ST and sounds better than most aftermarket exhausts. I compared it to a deep throaty sound like an MBRP without the raspy sound of that AWE. All California carb legal too.
 

·
Registered
2013 RR ST3
Joined
·
10 Posts
With our cars being OBDII, there is no more sniff test. The smog inspection is now just an inspection of the car and then plug into the OBDII port. They’ll check to see if all “monitors” are available/online/working. You can typically go to a pep boys or autozone/orielly’s and ask if they can do a pre-smog inspection with an OBDII scanner.

if the shop is cool, they won’t bother you about an exhaust or catted down pipe.
 

·
Premium Member
2014 Focus ST ST3.
Joined
·
252 Posts
With our cars being OBDII, there is no more sniff test. The smog inspection is now just an inspection of the car and then plug into the OBDII port. They’ll check to see if all “monitors” are available/online/working. You can typically go to a pep boys or autozone/orielly’s and ask if they can do a pre-smog inspection with an OBDII scanner.

if the shop is cool, they won’t bother you about an exhaust or catted down pipe.
autozone/oriellys does a pre smog inspection? are they just checking for cel's? or are they actually checking the engine data to be within the set emission limits? Im curious because i haven't heard of them doing this? and if they do, then i could save some cashola.

also one needs to find out if they live in an 'Enhanced' area. Smog standards are different .

 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top