Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, like 10 month ago I bought my focus ST and one of the upgrades I did was a catless downpipe and payback, after that is a really bad smell coming out the exhaust, is this normal in this car? I don't get the tuner yet, is that's gonna help with the smell? Help please, thanks in advance

·
Registered
381 Posts
Yep, welcome to the catless life. It's quite possible you are burning off some oils on the downpipe, but most likely you are smelling freshly burned unfiltered freedom (gas).

No, tuning won't help.

·
Registered
207 Posts
You don't have a catalytic converter so there's that. And that's all.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
But this is not the first car I do that, I used too have a Honda CRX, Acura Integra, Eclipse GS-T and all of them with pure pipe all the way from the engine to the back, so I know, don't having a cata is not the problem

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Wait till you mix ethanol into it yaha
Lol... my car always smells drunk.
I've ran other cars with the cats deleted and this car tends to smell more, I think it has to do with it being a Direct Inject engine.

·
Administrator
11,910 Posts
But this is not the first car I do that, I used too have a Honda CRX, Acura Integra, Eclipse GS-T and all of them with pure pipe all the way from the engine to the back, so I know, don't having a cata is not the problem
Sorry man, you may have not noticed it with those other cars, it is definitely because you are catless. As previously mentioned in this thread.

Oh, and a little time to work on grammar goes a long way, thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Someone can please help me, I don't want to start spending money like crazy, trying to find what the problem is.

·
Registered
629 Posts
you made a change and something happened thats directly related to the change. catless downpipes make the car smell.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts