Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello ST'ers, got a 2016(great car, love it, fun as hell!) I want to put new exhaust and lowering springs on. Concerned on 2 things: want the lowered aggressive look but not the "coilover" ride in regards to the springs (it's my daily driver) have read posts here stating the ride is not terribly different except occasional highway driving going over rough terrain. Would like any thoughts and recommendations on this. Drone noise (not too excessive) on the exhaust is the other concern. Again, thoughts and recommendations(Cobb, Magnaflow, Borla, Flowmaster) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks much and enjoy your rides!

·
Registered
406 Posts
Borla FTW

·
Registered
38 Posts
My CNT exhaust sounds amazing and has no drone whatsoever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: dan's st

·
Registered
483 Posts
I have Steeda springs and they are great. Lowered the car a bit, firmed up the ride, but nothing harsh.

I have a magnaflow exhaust. I wouldn't get it again. It is not terrible but it does drone in the upper RPM range when accelerating. My wife hates it. It is not bad when cruising though. I can't complain. I got it second hand for $300 a year old and in great condition. If I were buying new I would go Borla or Ford Performance. For what they cost vs performance gained it really is not worth the money though. I think you'd be better off getting a Depo catted downpipe or catless pipe if that is an option and leave the factory exhaust on. Cheaper and more power potential.

·
Super Moderator
9,548 Posts
Also, if you are going to use lowering springs and not coil overs it would be a good idea to change out the front struts and rear shocks at the same time with something designed to work with shorter springs. Lowering on the factory dampers shortens their life considerably. Bilstein B8's are very good and will last forever.

Reactions: LMStone510

·
Registered
12 Posts
Dont be so quick to discount coilovers. There are some coils that drive very similar to stock suspension and some that are so stiff your suspension might as well be an iron block.

I have ST coilovers on my BRZ and i plan on getting the same for the FoST. They ride better than stock imo but are still stiff enough that when you take a corner it holds you nicely. A lot of what can determine ride comfort is where the coils are developed. Japanese coils tend to be stiffer because in Japan, their roads are a lot smoother and less damaged. ST's are the same company that makes KW which are German. Their roads are much like ours and so you tend to get a softer ride. Dont focus on coils designed for the track if you want to Daily your car.

Also (it was mentioned earlier) lowering springs can put extra pressure and wear on your struts. Personally i'd rather spend 1000$ on a set of ST Coils and have my stock suspension handy in case something ever happens rather than spending 250$ now and then my stock struts go out and now i'm without suspension and even more money cuz i need to buy something more.

Just my two cents

·
Registered
224 Posts
I daily my ST and I'm on H&R Coils, I also winter drive mine and don't raise it up. I find the ride on my coils stiffer with my winter tires on than I do in the summer with my summer wheels. Overall though I don't find them too stiff. I love how the car handles being lowered and the corners are amazing.
As for exhaust, I can't answer that one yet, my MBRP goes on this week, I will let you know how it sounds.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
If you want no drone, stick to 2.5" and a setup that has a muffler and a resonator. As for suspension, a nice set of coilovers shouldnt make the ride harsh. The shocks/dampers should be well matched to the springs and while be more stiff than factory, the ride quality shouldnt suffer. I'm pleased with the Fortune Auto I have, passes the wife test. She doesnt complain about the ride handling from the passenger or drivers seat

1 - 11 of 11 Posts