Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a used '14 FoST1 a couple weeks ago. Couldnt tell it had exhaust from pics online, and it was an hour away. Looks like a test pipe with D.C sports tips. It is way loud and Im broke since I just bought it. I got the sound symposer delete plate already. Any idea what it would cost to add a resonator? Cant hear the crappy ST1 radio on the highway

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
75 Posts
You should be able to get a universal muffler welded on the back where the stock one was for about $50-100, that will fix your problem.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Yeah a muffler shop could easily take a straight portion of pipe and throw a Magnaflow performance muffler or resonator on there and help a TON for like $50 on average

·
Registered
530 Posts
Check the classifieds here or the Facebook ST classifieds (there's a few), you may be able to find a stock exhaust system. Do some Google searching for the Magnaflow resonator on MBRP catback. The guy I bought my system from said it was a relatively popular combination in the earlier days of this car. I can't attest to how it sounds, though. It's still in the garage because it's been relatively low on my budget priorities lately. Price wise, after purchasing the resonator, a muffler shop shouldn't be charging more than $50. Definitely under $100.

Also, by test pipe I assume you're talking about a catless downpipe. If so, you can find a stock dp relatively easily and swap that back in and it should help. Definitely make sure the car isn't currently tuned, because then throwing a catted dp, especially the stock one, back on will cause a lot of ecu problems and probably eventually grenade the car.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
TOOOOOTALLY off topic but WHEN DID YOU BECOME A MOD?! lol

But yes, you can get the Magnaflow muffler, or there is that one that most people have been using in the mid section of the MBRP, it was like Turbine something, id need to look for it. But either or, about $100-150 to get the muffler and have it installed by a shop. The biggest thing to check is to see if the downpipe is aftermarket (all the way up front connected to the turbo). Thats the route for a ton of drone and makes the exhaust WAY louder especially on a chopped up exhaust system.

Yeah a muffler shop could easily take a straight portion of pipe and throw a Magnaflow performance muffler or resonator on there and help a TON for like $50 on average

Reactions: brian60

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
TOOOOOTALLY off topic but WHEN DID YOU BECOME A MOD?! lol

But yes, you can get the Magnaflow muffler, or there is that one that most people have been using in the mid section of the MBRP, it was like Turbine something, id need to look for it. But either or, about $100-150 to get the muffler and have it installed by a shop. The biggest thing to check is to see if the downpipe is aftermarket (all the way up front connected to the turbo). Thats the route for a ton of drone and makes the exhaust WAY louder especially on a chopped up exhaust system.
Agreed!

And mod-I-tude happened yesterday :cool:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Check the classifieds here or the Facebook ST classifieds (there's a few), you may be able to find a stock exhaust system. Do some Google searching for the Magnaflow resonator on MBRP catback. The guy I bought my system from said it was a relatively popular combination in the earlier days of this car. I can't attest to how it sounds, though. It's still in the garage because it's been relatively low on my budget priorities lately. Price wise, after purchasing the resonator, a muffler shop shouldn't be charging more than $50. Definitely under $100.

Also, by test pipe I assume you're talking about a catless downpipe. If so, you can find a stock dp relatively easily and swap that back in and it should help. Definitely make sure the car isn't currently tuned, because then throwing a catted dp, especially the stock one, back on will cause a lot of ecu problems and probably eventually grenade the car.
By test pipe I just mean its not stainless or anything, looks like plain ol' stock type exhaust. Crappy rusting welds. Could have been a resonator and muffler delete with tips added.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
By test pipe I just mean its not stainless or anything, looks like plain ol' stock type exhaust. Crappy rusting welds. Could have been a resonator and muffler delete with tips added.

Honestly if the entire system clear back looks stock minus a missing muffler and resonator then yeah that sounds about right. It drones. It sucks. Some people like it but no thank you. If I wanted a headache I'll watch a playoff hockey game.

·
Registered
530 Posts

It sounds like it's just as you said, deletes. Try and find some good quality resonators. It kinda seems like you'd be completely content with just the stock exhaust and the sound symposer, so if you manage to find a stock system, that will probably be your best bet.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

How can I tell if its a stock down pipe? Can you have a tune without a AP3 or SCT? How can you tell?

·
Registered
629 Posts
only for sure way you can tell if its tuned is if you go to the dealer and they see the code on the PCM is not factory. there are certain features with certain tunes you can check yourself but there are tons of different versions for you to be able to test them all IMO. Easiest one if previous owner had an accessport and didnt uninstall, is to be idling and not moving, pull the cruise control cancel button once, let go, then press the cruise + and - buttons and see if the tach moves to 1, 2, 3, 4, etc.

ive read the vibrant ultra quiet resonators are quite good, you can look into this maybe. vibrant is a legit brand.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
How can I tell if its a stock down pipe? Can you have a tune without a AP3 or SCT? How can you tell?

Is the downpipe HUGE and ugly? If so, then it's 99% for sure stock. All the aftermarket ones I've ever seen are not huge and ugly.

A shot of the stock (top) and an aftermarket: img_57361-1024x768.jpg

You can have a tune without the AP3 or SCT installed, yes. There are a few ways to check. Common ones include pressing the cruise control reset button and seeing if your rpm needle jumps to a number like 1, 2, 3, etc. to show what mode you're in. Other things include if you have launch control (stop, put it in 1st, hold clutch to floor and floor it a second. If it stops at an rpm then you have LC, if it skyrockets then let off and don't redline the car lol). With the mods it has I highly doubt it's tuned, but it could have been running off-the-shelf tunes and just never got reset.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
only for sure way you can tell if its tuned is if you go to the dealer and they see the code on the PCM is not factory. there are certain features with certain tunes you can check yourself but there are tons of different versions for you to be able to test them all IMO. Easiest one if previous owner had an accessport and didnt uninstall, is to be idling and not moving, pull the cruise control cancel button once, let go, then press the cruise + and - buttons and see if the tach moves to 1, 2, 3, 4, etc.

ive read the vibrant ultra quiet resonators are quite good, you can look into this maybe. vibrant is a legit brand.
Yup, Kranny here beat me to it. And I forgot to mention the going to a dealer to check idea...that's literally the only for-sure way I can think of.

Reactions: Kranny

·
Registered
530 Posts

Google to find out what it looks like, get under the car and check. As for tune presence, I'm not sure, but I think the only way to check is with one of those devices. If the stock dp is there, I wouldn't worry about anything.

I'm not sure where you're from, but a guy in the New Jersey ST Facebook group is selling his stock exhaust. If you're interested, I can get his contact info for you, no idea of his willingness to ship it.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Oops everybody beat me to it. The forum glitched I guess because it showed your question as the most recent post.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Want a stock system?

I have a stock system off a 2017. It was sawed in half to remove it when my aftermarket system was installed. It will need to be welded back together.

I'll let it go for free if you have a way to get it in St Louis.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
If your drone is at hw speeds, a resonator will help quell that. Check out Vibrant or Magnaflow resonators (FSWerks uses Magnaflow.) You can get them in many different sizes, just measure to figure out whats the largest you can fit. Check their sites for sizes/dimensions then take to google with the part number to find the best price. Any muffler shop should be able to weld it in for just cost of labor.

·
Registered
51 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Try a magnaflow 12246 https://www.amazon.com/MagnaFlow-Exhaust-Products-12246-Muffler/dp/B000CCG000/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1513130071&sr=1-1&keywords=12246 where the resonator should be, $80 on amazon + $40-50 to weld it in. I run that and even catless its pretty tame with the cruise on 80. If you still need it quieter add a resonator, vibrant ultra-quiet is what a lot of people use. https://www.amazon.com/Vibrant-1141-Ultra-Quiet-Resonator/dp/B000E3VHWI
Thanks, I'll try that. Put it in my cart already

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Thanks, I'll try that. Put it in my cart already

This one he linked is the one I was referring to. It's a common option on here and works wonders for drone! Best of luck

1 - 20 of 28 Posts