Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been reading and researching blah blah blah. What I've come to understand is exhaust drone is the action of the sound frequency harminizing with the metal of the frame of the vehicle causing a reverberation. Which is both heard and felt. Now the fact the 3" inch exhausts clearance from actually touching the vehicles heat shielding is guaranteed it brings me to the conclusion that this by far has to be a major player in what's causing the drone. So take for example the Borla, a 2.5" exhaust, I've read there's no drone but it's loud as hell. Now take the for example the MBRP 3" I read that you get drone. Some say hardly any but either way you spin it the drone is there. So am I correct in my theory that pipe diameter, due to clearance contacting the frame, is a contributor to drone? If I'm right I would ventur to believe that the exhaust hangers in fact also help prevent those vibration from transferring to the frame as well.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Not sure if you are correct but The MBRP does have drone. Especially big turbo

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
524 Posts
I don't think pipe diameter is a good predictor of drone. For instance, I had the stock exhaust with the rear muffler removed. Droned like a bi***!! Switched to a Milltek turbo back which is 3", and practically no drone. It all depends on how the exhaust is engineered. Best bet is to just research the brands in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
2,044 Posts
I have a catless Borla and no drone

·
Registered
420 Posts
I have the Roush 3 inch cat back, I have not noticed anything that I would call drone.

The exhaust doesn't even really get loud unless I am into boost.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I really want to experience in person on someone else's focus what they consider exhaust drone is as this would be my first experience with exhausts as my sexy lady is my first performance car. So anybody live near Charlotte NC?

Attachments

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
A properly installed exhaust will never contact the body of the car. The drone has to do with the frequency of the sound. Generally, a larger diameter pipe will have a lower frequency which seems to be more apt to drone in this car.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I just installed a 2.5" Magnaflow exhaust. No drone at all during steady state cruising. When you lay into the throttle it makes a good tone, noticeably more volume than stock but never harsh or droning.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So basically 2.5" is a low as you want to go without drone as well as helping the car exhale better?

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
So basically 2.5" is a low as you want to go without drone as well as helping the car exhale better?
I agree that 2.5" is fine for power on the stock turbo. You can get rid of drone with a 3" system, you just need to choose the proper mufflers and resonators. Mine drones pretty bad, but only at very specific revs/loads where it resonates. Otherwise it's fine and my research involved buying mufflers/resonators on Summit and going to town with my MIG.

·
Registered
226 Posts
So...a 2.5in exhaust will give the most power on stock turbo?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
He is not saying that 3 inch will give less power but that 2.5in exhaust will not limit power on the stock turbo.

·
Registered
125 Posts
He is not saying that 3 inch will give less power but that 2.5in exhaust will not limit power on the stock turbo.
Ok still deciding on which exhaust I want to purchase...I was leaning towards Montune because it's prolly the quietest.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I was thinking Mountune at first but based on all the video reviews it was just barely above stock. I wanted something a bit more aggressive and the Magnaflow was a good fit for my requirements. 2.5" is fine since I will not upgrade the turbo. I saved a few bucks as well. You can find the Magnaflow on Amazon for about $530. The Mountune will run you nearly $800.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah I just saw that too on Amazon. My biggest thing is my car is with me for the next 6 years. It's my daily driver and I may occasionally take a 3 hour trip. So I'm honestly scared of drone, so if you can't take a three hour trip with your exhaust let it be know so I may know as well as many others.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Yeah I just saw that too on Amazon. My biggest thing is my car is with me for the next 6 years. It's my daily driver and I may occasionally take a 3 hour trip. So I'm honestly scared of drone, so if you can't take a three hour trip with your exhaust let it be know so I may know as well as many others.
I drive 2-3 hrs per day with the borla and depo dp. Love it! ( It is wake the dead loud at WOT though )

·
Premium Member
2,044 Posts
I drive 2-3 hrs per day with the borla and depo dp. Love it! ( It is wake the dead loud at WOT though )

Yours isn't as loud as mine lol catless ftw!!! But no drone for me. I drive around 4 hours for car meets and have friends and such ride in my car and absolutely no complaints this is including 3 motor mounts to

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
As long as it doesn't drone at your cruising revs, you should be fine.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts