Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I was checking the oil in my car and I pulled the dipstick out and there was oil clear up to the top of the dipstick. I took the oil fill cap off and there was a good amount of air coming out. Is this normal on these cars or am I looking at some fun to deal with in the near future?

·
Registered
352 Posts
This is a stupid question, but is the engine running or stopped? There shouldn't be any "air" coming from the crankcase of a stopped engine.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is a stupid question, but is the engine running or stopped? There shouldn't be any "air" coming from the crankcase of a stopped engine.
The engine was running. I know these engines naturally have blowby or crankcase pressure but I don't know how much is acceptable. With the oil fill cap just sitting on the valve cover it sort of dances around at idle but when the engine is revved it sits flat

·
Registered
168 Posts
facepalm.jpg

Reactions: mininsx

·
Registered
352 Posts
I'm guessing that it was running when you pulled the dipstick, too? I hate to be harsh but I'd recommend that you keep the hood closed and if you're curious about anything under there get someone who is more educated about all the stuff under that hood to check them for you.

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
Until now, I've never heard of anyone checking the oil while the engine was running. Shut it off first!!!

·
Registered
613 Posts
probably sprayed some oil out too if you pulled the oil fill cap while running....yeah i've done it.

If want to check the valvecover / crankcase pressure, pull the hose off the back driver side corner of the valvecover that connects to the intake. it might puff some air too, but put your hand/finger on it and you should feel vaccum.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Let me clarify something. The engine was not running when I pulled the dip stick. I am only asking anyway because I never noticed it on any other vehicle that I have owned. The oil level is fine when the engine is off you ****s I only check it when the engine is off. It was only a curiosity post to see if anyone had some useful information about the pcv system on these cars or excessive crankcase pressure. I DO NOT know a ton about these ecoboosts as far as the pcv system is concerned.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
probably sprayed some oil out too if you pulled the oil fill cap while running....yeah i've done it.

If want to check the valvecover / crankcase pressure, pull the hose off the back driver side corner of the valvecover that connects to the intake. it might puff some air too, but put your hand/finger on it and you should feel vaccum.
Thanks man.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Let me clarify something. The engine was not running when I pulled the dip stick. I am only asking anyway because I never noticed it on any other vehicle that I have owned. The oil level is fine when the engine is off you ****s I only check it when the engine is off. It was only a curiosity post to see if anyone had some useful information about the pcv system on these cars or excessive crankcase pressure. I DO NOT know a ton about these ecoboosts as far as the pcv system is concerned.
Oil drains from the head over the dipstick, so unless you wait a few minutes for the head to drain oil and oil on the dipstick to work its way down, you'll get an oil-covered dipstick if you pull it right after you shut off the engine.

I don't see how air could be whooshing out of the oil fill cap after the motor is shut down unless you have a PCV stuck closed and the head-to-intake vent tube is clogged -- and you pulled the fill cap off immediately after shutting off the motor.

PCV is sold as part of a plate that bolts to the front of the motor, just under the intake manifold. A new one is about $45.

If your PCV really is stuck closed though you'd see a lot of oil film in the half of the intake tube that connects to the turbo.

Hope that helps,
Mark

1 - 12 of 12 Posts