Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
That is one highly engineered piece of work. I'd like pull the insulation and weld that panel back on, just to see what it sounded like.

·
Registered
220 Posts
That is one highly engineered piece of work. I'd like pull the insulation and weld that panel back on, just to see what it sounded like.
I will tell you this.....

I had a 2011 e90 335i bmw powered by a n55 motor. BMW offers a Performance exhaust that makes the car sound like it should have from the factory. Gives it some raspiness, some crackles and pops (a little more than a stock tune on a stock st except for a 3" cobb catback exhaust).

What is funny and stupid at the same time is, the performance exhaust is just a pair of mufflers identical in size and shape and every way except for the part number. :question:

They cost like $1000-$1,600 new depending who you buy from. Now, one guy on the forums opened it up and modified their stock mufflers to mimic the same design. Sure as ****, the stock mufflers modified sounded almost identical to the performance exhaust.

So using the idea on how they modified the mufflers and applying it here, you can make the focus st sound very unique. I don't believe anyone here as done a mod like that.

You can see the bmw exhaust mod HERE

·
Registered
39 Posts
Wow, awesome to see whats inside haha. I always wondered why it was so quiet compared to all the aftermarket ones, now I know ;) (kind of haha)

·
Registered
27 Posts
I will tell you this.....

I had a 2011 e90 335i bmw powered by a n55 motor. BMW offers a Performance exhaust that makes the car sound like it should have from the factory. Gives it some raspiness, some crackles and pops (a little more than a stock tune on a stock st except for a 3" cobb catback exhaust).

What is funny and stupid at the same time is, the performance exhaust is just a pair of mufflers identical in size and shape and every way except for the part number. :question:

They cost like $1000-$1,600 new depending who you buy from. Now, one guy on the forums opened it up and modified their stock mufflers to mimic the same design. Sure as ****, the stock mufflers modified sounded almost identical to the performance exhaust.

So using the idea on how they modified the mufflers and applying it here, you can make the focus st sound very unique. I don't believe anyone here as done a mod like that.

You can see the bmw exhaust mod HERE
Amazing post, 83 pages of experimenting with their mufflers, definitely what makes things work better!
It seems like the stock ST muffler is pretty unrestrictive. I would like to try, (with most likely a very minuscule gain, if any), adding a third exhaust port pipe to the end chamber with the capped off perforated pipe in it, so the exhaust doesn't have to make its' was back to the center chamber to leave the muffler. Probably need to screen the third hole to avoid blowing out the insulation. A little power here, a little power there, adds up. I'm just thinking out loud, so please don't hammer me to hard!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts