Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this video posted from Velox and thought it would be relevant to the crowd here:

This particular application sees extreme heat built up in the small space between engine/turbo/firewall. this hood vent is a really good solution and strongly recommended especially when upgraded turbos are installed.

·
Banned
7,049 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
The BRZ guys swear by these, I was considering the BRZ ones for my focus guess i can have these now if needed. Step one is ducting to the rad first.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I went to the website to get a closer look & I have a couple problems with this specific model. No mesh or anything to keep trash from entering the engine bay. The mesh type guard also helps with defusing any hard water pressure. There's also no design for water flow. For a DD it's too open IMO.

·
Administrator
12,662 Posts
Reserved = kept specially for a particular purpose or person. In this case the form post and find for later use.

Don't be an asshole. It helps no one.
I believe what he was going for was "why make a post, when you can go under thread tools, and subscribe to the thread."

Since i keep tabs on so many things here, i am over 100 subd' threads right now. I have a problem.

So keep it clean guys, for sake of the forum. Unless you were drunk, then we are only humans...

Reactions: Darkdayz23

·
Banned
7,049 Posts
Reserved = kept specially for a particular purpose or person. In this case the form post and find for later use.

What could you possibly be reserving for someone else's post?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
7,049 Posts
I believe what he was going for was "why make a post, when you can go under thread tools, and subscribe to the thread."

Since i keep tabs on so many things here, i am over 100 subd' threads right now. I have a problem.

So keep it clean guys, for sake of the forum. Unless you were drunk, then we are only humans...
Glad you understood, that was pretty much what I was getting at... but as you already know, I am helpful on this forum, but he's also got a point, I am an asshole. Needless to say reserving a post on someone else's thread for no reason in the world is stupid. Some times if an OP is going to make a long thread he will reserve the first couple posts so that he can keep his content together and that is understood. However to fake reserve a post on someone else's thread makes zero sense

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
122 Posts

Understood. Reserved is an old school forum practice, literally from decades ago. Was tired, liked the op's post and "reserved" it to search back to later. I know the tools, just an old habit from a time long gone.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just going g to say I have those vents. They do work really well. After a hard drive you can feel the heat coming out of them. I'm not worried about stuff getting in there doesn't seem like an issue unless you park under some kind of tree. I'm in Phoenix so leaves, snow, and rain are not an issue lol.

I picked them up from Velox Motorsports.
http://www.velox-motorsports.com

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
672 Posts
Just going g to say I have those vents. They do work really well. After a hard drive you can feel the heat coming out of them. I'm not worried about stuff getting in there doesn't seem like an issue unless you park under some kind of tree. I'm in Phoenix so leaves, snow, and rain are not an issue lol.

I picked them up from Velox Motorsports.
Velox Motorsports - Engineered For Enthusiasts By Enthusiasts

Can I see under the hood?

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I went to the website to get a closer look & I have a couple problems with this specific model. No mesh or anything to keep trash from entering the engine bay. The mesh type guard also helps with defusing any hard water pressure. There's also no design for water flow. For a DD it's too open IMO.
For the other types of vents there are rain guards that direct water towards the front of the grill. Not sure if rain guards for the focus ST/RS will come out and do the same thing or if they will become available. IMO these are too big/awkward looking but look very functional...maybe something a little (I don't know what to call it) sleeker or smaller would look better.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts

These look very functional and I'm sure they do a great job letting heat escape. I just don't really like the box-y looks to them. Looks like a dryer vent off the side of my house or something. Change the shape a bit and throw in some rain guards like some of the other Velox hood vents, and I'd pick them up in a heart beat.

Reactions: Lou64

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wow, just saw these! Definitely going to be picking up a set, the video really illustrates their function. I can see this helping intake air temps as well as potentially coolant temps! Awesome find Geoff.

Looks are subjective of course, but I think they look great on both ST hoods!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Has anyone tried the smaller BRZ versions? I see they have a rain guard option, plus they are smaller. I'm sure it would affect evacuation, but might look better? Just curious.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
These look very functional and I'm sure they do a great job letting heat escape. I just don't really like the box-y looks to them. Looks like a dryer vent off the side of my house or something. Change the shape a bit and throw in some rain guards like some of the other Velox hood vents, and I'd pick them up in a heart beat.
This is what I was going to say...looks like they were purchased from Home Depot. I like the GT500 vents or old RS vents better imo. I'm sure these let out a lot of heat though, which is always good when your pushing hard on the track, where these babies can get hot fo sho.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts