Ford Focus ST Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Wilwoods are fully Rebuildable, with easy one minute pad changes also, I'm not saying rears are required, but bang for your buck wise why not cover all 4 corners for the same price with a kit that on this platform will perform just as well.. To much money up front and I think the bias of the car will be thrown off.. Wilwoods are also a 6 piston front caliper, stainless steel lines all that good stuff.. Not saying the Essex isn't good but I don't see it performing THAT much better then the wilwood setup to command the price it does
I hear you, focus13st - your questions are indeed among the ones that prospective BBK purchasers should weigh for themselves.

I know Essex carefully addressed front/rear balance in their system design. And without C&D, MT, Grassroots Motorsports, or R&T doing an instrumented test, we may never know what the objective performance differences are between ours (and other) systems.

Perhaps someone will read this and put together a BBK shoot-out. Now THAT would be cool!

The real take-away here is that at least we ST owners have many affordable aftermarket braking system choices thanks to vendors who have developed systems for this platform. From a simple pad change or rotor replacement all the way up to BBKs.

--Bob

·
Super Moderator
10,731 Posts
Wilwoods are fully Rebuildable, with easy one minute pad changes also, I'm not saying rears are required, but bang for your buck wise why not cover all 4 corners for the same price with a kit that on this platform will perform just as well..

To much money up front and I think the bias of the car will be thrown off.. Wilwoods are also a 6 piston front caliper, stainless steel lines all that good stuff..

Not saying the Essex isn't good but I don't see it performing THAT much better then the wilwood setup to command the price it does
I'm curious, Essex deals ALOT with the NASCAR teams in and around Charlotte and they offer an attractive kit that only requires a front end swap to improve the ST platform. Yet, we're comparing two different kits based upon price and whether or not it it's a 2 or 4 corner kit?

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I'm curious, Essex deals ALOT with the NASCAR teams in and around Charlotte and they offer an attractive kit that only requires a front end swap to improve the ST platform. Yet, we're comparing two different kits based upon price and whether or not it it's a 2 or 4 corner kit?
Not quite sure what your trying to say?

·
Super Moderator
10,731 Posts
Not quite sure what your trying to say?
What I was meaning to say is don't look at the price and then try to justify the purchase by saying you get two extra corners. The Essex kit is better priced than the Wilwood and you don't need the extra corners to improve the braking in the ST platform.

·
Super Moderator
10,731 Posts
How is that? The WILWOOD kit gives you FAR more for the same price

That's like saying you'd rather pay 6$ for a gallon of gas vs 6$ for a whole tank of gas
Two more corners that aren't needed and yes you pay more for the Wilwood kit because of this.

So yes, for the argument you get less but you pay less for the kit with Essex.

So think of it this way, with the Essex kit you don't need the other two corners.

So I see that as being better than the Wilwood kit which gives the appearance of having four marked Wilwood calipers over performance.

I'll go with performance over appearance any day.

Reactions: JordanFiveOh

·
Super Moderator
10,731 Posts
I have the wilwood factory rotor kit with stop tech rotors and it was less then 1000$

I don't have rears, just hawk pads in the stock caliper
OK, then why are quoting a 4 corner kit vs a 2 corner kit? This fact would've prevented a debate from the beginning. If price is an issue a $1K or less vs $2K+ kit is a no brainer. Heck, it's like asking me if I want a Casio or a Rolex watch, it's sometimes is about the brandname. Buy what you can afford, it's your money. I do like the looks of the Essex kit and the free inspection and rebuild of kit while you own it.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
OK, then why are quoting a 4 corner kit vs a 2 corner kit? This fact would've prevented a debate from the beginning. If price is an issue a $1K or less vs $2K+ kit is a no brainer. Heck, it's like asking me if I want a Casio or a Rolex watch, it's sometimes is about the brandname. Buy what you can afford, it's your money.
I think it was a discussion about both the two corner and the four corner. Front to comparable front the wilwood has a far better price tag.

no on is attacking the Essex kit or thinks its bad in anyway. keeping that in mind it doesn't need to be defended.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I was just stating for the price of the Essex two wheel your in wilwood 4 wheel territory

Not saying Essex is bad, just seems expensive for 2 caliper and rotors IMO the wilwood kits offer more for your money and most couldn't tell any difference in braking between the two

·
Super Moderator
10,731 Posts
I think it was a discussion about both the two corner and the four corner. Front to comparable front the wilwood has a far better price tag.

no on is attacking the Essex kit or thinks its bad in anyway. keeping that in mind it doesn't need to be defended.
If I was to consider an upgrade and I tracked my ST, it would be with Essex since they're just down aways from me here in NC and that means a lot.

But if you have SBC, Stoptech, Baer, Wilwood, or any other set up that's all good also. They all offer great kits depending on your price range and expectations.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
This discussion is a lot like I see with my friends who like wine (as I do). Is a $35 bottle of wine twice as good as a bottle costing $17.50? And is the $17.50 bottle more than "good enough" for the job at hand?

Someone with a trained palette and a sensitive nose might not be able to stand the $17.50 bottle. To someone else, the $17.50 bottle could be stunning.

With brakes, it's the same IMHO. What's the application? (DD? Track? AutoX?) What's level of driver training/skill (aspirational? professional racing driver?) What's the best aftermarket brake system for the ST and are only the fronts required over a 4-corner system? "Depends!"

There is no one-size-fits-all answer here.

Happy Friday to all,
Mark

Reactions: ST2Focus

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
If I was to consider an upgrade and I tracked my ST, it would be with Essex since they're just down aways from me here in NC and that means a lot.

But if you have SBC, Stoptech, Baer, Wilwood, or any other set up that's all good also. They all offer great kits depending on your price range.
Wilwood(TCE) is local to me and I have several kits from them over the years.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Yes, the Wilwood kit is good for a street car and autox stuff. For an actual road course event I would choose the Essex, every time. AP Racing is F1 quality stuff.

·
Super Moderator
10,731 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,731 Posts
Yes, the Wilwood kit is good for a street car and autox stuff. For an actual road course event I would choose the Essex, every time. AP Racing is F1 quality stuff.
That was the intent of @ST Bob since he plans a few trips to VIR.

Reactions: JordanFiveOh

·
Registered
184 Posts
I bet most ppl who buy wildwood do it for looks mainly and ppl that buy Essex or Stoptech do it to track their car. The wildwood are not as good as the other kits. The stock brakes or wildwood are fine for street driving. I have seen where on the track the wildwood calipers flex way more than the others.

I really like this kit and would buy it if I tracked my st, but I have a track car for that. St is just my daily/autox car so no BBK required.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts