Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After literally months of deliberation on the 'stock brakes vs. big brake kit' pros/cons, I decided to take advantage of Essex's $500 off introductory pricing and order their Competition Endurance kit for my ST.

Once I get them installed, I'll let everyone know what they're like to live with on a daily driver. I have no concerns with future auto-x and track work!

There are glowing reviews from those who have used them on the track - though they may be impractical for many for street use.

Fortunately, I don't have to drive on salted roads or in dusty conditions, so I'm hoping they'll work well for me in the long run.

Thanks to Jeff Ritter and the Essex guys for developing the AP-based kit for STs. Hope our community will make it worth their while!

Attachments

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Subbed for updates. Also be sure to let us know what pads you are using.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Subbed. These will be the brakes I get.

Question- Do they offer a rear kit option. Aesthetic reason.

Also, they are hard anodized....yes, could we get the hard anodizing black?

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry for the delay, folks - and thanks again for your interest!

Have to get new wheels/tires on first as I refuse to use spacers for weight and safety reasons. Also need to order a power bleeder and get some fluid which matches the superb quality of the Essex BBK ... patience is a virtue?!

Hat tip to Daniel at Essex who has been most responsive and forthcoming in answering many questions and sharing his other clients' experiences so I'll know what to expect.

Stay tuned ... :)

--Bob

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
That's an incredibly attractive price. Well done, Sir. Subbed for review. JP

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Just curious why you would pay 2k for fronts, when wilwoods are 2500$ for the whole car AND don't require wheel spacers...
Great question, focus13! Functionally, rears aren't required. I'm all about function.

The Essex front BBK has garnered excellent reviews from M3, Evo, Corvette, etc. racers. Since the ST should stress the brakes less than those cars, I feel great about the ST system's capabilities and durability.

And since the fronts do the heavy lifting, I'd rather invest fully there instead of splitting my investment between four corners.

Do the Wilwood calipers have stainless steel pistons? Anti-knockback springs? No dust boots? Inspection/rebuild service? Economical rotor rings? One minute pad replacement with no caliper removal required?

Your kit will be perform very well, I'm sure. It's just that the Essex info, testimonials , etc. really pushed all the right buttons for me.

If Rick Hendrick, Richard Childress, and many other teams trust their brakes to Essex and AP Racing, then I certainly can!

Cheers!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I've always thought Wilwoods were more for retromod muscle cars to have a modern braking system, or for a more aesthetic look. They aren't quite up there with AP, Brembo, Endless, etc.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Wilwoods are fully Rebuildable, with easy one minute pad changes also, I'm not saying rears are required, but bang for your buck wise why not cover all 4 corners for the same price with a kit that on this platform will perform just as well..

To much money up front and I think the bias of the car will be thrown off.. Wilwoods are also a 6 piston front caliper, stainless steel lines all that good stuff..

Not saying the Essex isn't good but I don't see it performing THAT much better then the wilwood setup to command the price it does

1 - 20 of 52 Posts