Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a new ST and after driving it a bit I'll pop the hood and man is that engine hot. Do these EcoBoost 2.0 run hot?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
I just purchased a new ST and after driving it a bit I'll pop the hood and man is that engine hot. Do these EcoBoost 2.0 run hot?
I mean I suppose it depends on what you consider to be hot. What are you comparing it too? They get up to pretty dang hot temps (my oil temp was 210 or just under this morning after an hour drive to work..which is normal) and I certainly wouldn't touch anything for at least an hour or so after you turn the car off.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I only have about 350 miles on it so far. I just put a CAI on it. Would that make it run hotter? I might actually take it off. Dosnt seem to do much for it.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
I only have about 350 miles on it so far. I just put a CAI on it. Would that make it run hotter? I might actually take it off. Dosnt seem to do much for it.
No. The stock intake is already pretty great and isn't one of those "essential" upgrades. If you do upgrade it then it gives you a much better SOUND and very minimal performance gain (really only gives you this minimal gain if you get a tune). Since you have it already you might as well keep it so it isn't a waste of money. It's certainly still an "upgrade" even if it is only a slight one.

·
Registered
917 Posts
The 2.0 Ecoboost engines in our cars are definitely prone to heat soak due to being equipped with an insufficient stock intercooler. Definitely a must have upgrade if you plan on any track activities or enjoy spirited back road driving.

·
Banned
7,049 Posts
FWIW... the exhaust tip gets hot when you drive it too.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
engine makes heat, radiator adds a lot of heat to under the hood, a turbo creates even more heat, and the turbo's intercooler adds even more heat to under the hood. so the 2.0 is not short of heat creating sources, however, after a little driving, my V8 Lincoln seems to be just or near as hot under the hood.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Took the CAI off and drove it. Runs better without it. Not as hot this time either and it's warmer out today. Anyone want to buy a very slightly used Livernois Windstorm CAI? $100. Negotiable

·
Registered
558 Posts
Took the CAI off and drove it. Runs better without it. Not as hot this time either and it's warmer out today. Anyone want to buy a very slightly used Livernois Windstorm CAI? $100. Negotiable
Remember the Turbo is just behind the engine. Lots of heat from that. Not to mention the air flowing past the FMIC adds more hear and then the covers that keep it all in. As long as the temp gauge does not go past half way and the oil temp pretty much the same you are good.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Most turbo cars if not all run hot, extra exhaust piping adds to that, ontop of the turbo and all that hot air being circulated around the engine bay. Just to give you an idea, the Mini Cooper S tends to melt the hood backing since the turbo is mounted up high infront of the engine ( https://www.northamericanmotoring.c...226427-quick-hood-scoop-melting-question.html ), I used to own a Countryman S, and that sucker got HOT under the hood.

·
Banned
7,049 Posts
Air intake part Auto part

that's not an intake.. that's a filter! LOL

·
Banned
7,049 Posts
just so you know... what you did there... did nothing at all.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
You aren't allowed to sell on the forum, at the bottom of the forum you can find the marketplace and the rules.

You also won't get $100 for a filter that costs 50 bucks.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
View attachment 242618

that's not an intake.. that's a filter! LOL
You aren't allowed to sell on the forum, at the bottom of the forum you can find the marketplace and the rules.

You also won't get $100 for a filter that costs 50 bucks.
if you look on there site it is $160 a says intake but I cant find any other info on it... I WOULD NEVER run a open box filter under the hood of the ST... SO HOT and you are literally sucking all that heat into your intake making your FMIC work 10x as hard and if you don't have a huge afermarket FMIC the stock one will not hold up to that kind of heatsoak

·
Registered
414 Posts
The 2.0 Ecoboost engines in our cars are definitely prone to heat soak due to being equipped with an insufficient stock intercooler. Definitely a must have upgrade if you plan on any track activities or enjoy spirited back road driving.
Hot engine has nothing to do with insufficient intercooler. Modern engines run most efficient with the least emissions at warmer temps, right around 190-210. The car also has small cooling openings and little place for heat exchanger air to go so things stay warm under the hood. It's perfectly normal considering the tight packaging. The intercooler does heat soak and lead to reduced performance so replacement is suggested.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Your motor should be at ambient temperature at all times. I think yours is defective, go trade it in.

Sent from my SM-G360T using Tapatalk

·
Banned
7,049 Posts
Hot engine has nothing to do with insufficient intercooler. Modern engines run most efficient with the least emissions at warmer temps, right around 190-210. The car also has small cooling openings and little place for heat exchanger air to go so things stay warm under the hood. It's perfectly normal considering the tight packaging. The intercooler does heat soak and lead to reduced performance so replacement is suggested.
actually youre wrong.... the intercooler has to cool the air that goes through it (we wont argue this). But when the air going into the turbo is hotter than usual the turbo will be hotter because of this. When this happens the air between the turbo and the IC will hotter than usual causing the IC to be even less efficient at keeping up with the flow.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
if you look on there site it is $160 a says intake but I cant find any other info on it... I WOULD NEVER run a open box filter under the hood of the ST... SO HOT and you are literally sucking all that heat into your intake making your FMIC work 10x as hard and if you don't have a huge afermarket FMIC the stock one will not hold up to that kind of heatsoak
Yeah they are extremely ripping people off if they think that bracket is worth $110......to reduce performance...

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Yeah they are extremely ripping people off if they think that bracket is worth $110......to reduce performance...
exactly... but people buy them. CAI for this car is completely for looks.. nothing more... even if you are tuned it is completely for looks. you will not gain performance tell you do a BIG turbo and have it tuned of course.

to many people associate noise with performance... just because your car got really loud doesn't mean it some how picked up 20HP+

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
exactly... but people buy them. CAI for this car is completely for looks.. nothing more... even if you are tuned it is completely for looks. you will not gain performance tell you do a BIG turbo and have it tuned of course.

to many people associate noise with performance... just because your car got really loud doesn't mean it some how picked up 20HP+
The bolded part...that is a very common thing that happens in the car enthusiast world. Hondas, Mitzu's, other commonly modded cars are the most notorious for "bruh my intake gained like 10+ horsepower. Get in and listen to it!" They usually don't do anything except maybe 1mpg, look nice/cool, and sound pretty sweet.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts