Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Focus ST2
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so I blew my last motor, and i’m in the process now of getting my focus back on the street, I found a lower mileage 2015 Ford Escape engine. Would that be a direct fit into my 2014 Focus ST? Also, what could i reuse from my last motor, and what would I need brand new? First time doing an engine swap and just curious.

·
Registered
32 Posts
First things first, I’d like to say YOU GOT THIS. I just finished the exact same job 99% on my own, as a guy in his early 20’s with no experience other than basic bolt on modifications and routine maintenance. Do your research, prepare for the job, and stick to the game plan and I promise you’ll be back on the road having saved thousands in labor costs and feeling beyond proud that you completed what most see as an impossible task.

I also used a 2015 Ford Escape motor, so yes, it will work. Not sure where you’re getting the motor, but I went through LKQ despite the mixed reviews and it runs great.

You’ll have to swap over your intake manifold, oil cooler, and the AC compressor if I recall correctly. Brand new you’ll need the retaining clips for the axels, hub nuts, flywheel bolts, and a couple gaskets. I started the swap back in June and took my dear sweet time getting it done since I felt like I was a bit out of my depth.

I’ll give you three tips that were immensely helpful for my procedure:

1) TAKE PICTURES. Before taking something off, snap a photo of where it belongs, and make sure there’s enough identifiable reference points in the same frame since things will look very foreign once it’s disassembled.

2) ORGANIZATION. Hardware goes in labeled sandwich baggies, that are placed neatly with the part they belong with When a wire is unclipped, the female end is wrapped with masking tape so you can make a little flag that identifies the clips location, so things don’t get messed up when you move the harness over. For me, this was ESSENTIAL, since there’s a lot of room for error if something is plugged into the wrong location.

3) PATIENCE. If you’re not sure, use your resources and double check. This is especially important when you’re starting to reassemble the car, since things look real different when they’re no longer in the engine bay.

If you’d like to PM me id be more than happy to give you my personal phone number / social media in case you feel a little stuck. I’ll also add some links that I referred back to 100’s of times throughout my swap.

From my personal experience I had never felt the sense of pride and joy that I felt the day I pushed the button and heard my car come back to life. PLEASE be confident enough to tackle this job on your own, you will not regret it.

·
Registered
32 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,145 Posts
@PBandJelly2014 Great post man!!

@DariusP It sucks blowing your engine but you’ve got a great opportunity to turn those lemons into lemonade while having an offer of great mentorship to help you through it. Keep us apprised of your journey!!

·
Registered
2014 Focus ST2
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you guys very much for the big confidence booster, the engine I was looking at was pretty solid until I was told I would be paying almost 1200 in freight, not sure if that's normal. But my next question is would any single scroll 2.0 ecoboost engine be a direct fit into my 2014 FoST? Because I looked and found a 2013-2015 Explorer engine with really low miles, and not a lot in freight. Thank you!

·
Administrator
2019 Mustang Bullitt
15,116 Posts
Thank you guys very much for the big confidence booster, the engine I was looking at was pretty solid until I was told I would be paying almost 1200 in freight, not sure if that's normal. But my next question is would any single scroll 2.0 ecoboost engine be a direct fit into my 2014 FoST? Because I looked and found a 2013-2015 Explorer engine with really low miles, and not a lot in freight. Thank you!
Besides some sensors, oil filter housing, and shiz you can pull off your blown motor, all single scroll(NOT TWIN) 2.0 ecoboosts bolt in.

Reactions: Kyio

·
Registered
32 Posts
Pulled this from another thread, courtesy of @SIstomper. Lovely list of all models that use the 2.0 eco boost !

2010– Ford Mondeo
2011–2015 Ford Explorer
2011–2014 Ford Edge
2011– 2017 Range Rover Evoque
2011– Ford S-MAX
2012–2016 Ford Falcon
2013–2015 Ford Escape / Kuga
2013–2015 Land Rover Freelander 2
2013–2016 Ford Fusion
2013–2017 Ford Taurus
2013 – 2015 Lincoln MKZ
2015 – 2017 Land Rover Discovery Sport
2015– Lincoln MKC

·
Registered
2014 Focus ST2
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update: I found an engine and going to pick it up on my day off. Got some friends willing to help and hopefully I can finish it on my two days off work. Umm for other parts, im looking to swap most of my stuff over, but for the gaskets, retaining clips, hub nuts. Can I get a link for those possibly? or are those possible to pick up from my local dealership?

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett GTX2860R Gen 2. FBO
8,868 Posts
It's best to go in-person at the dealer and order all the gaskets piece by piece by referencing the parts diagrams.

Off the top of my head you will need all engine to turbo Gaskets (including oil feed/return and coolant line gaskets), downpipe gasket, intake manifold gaskets, oil cooler gaskets, flywheel bolts.

You'll need transmission and brake fluid ( trans fluid spills out when you remove the axles, brake fluid for bleeding the clutch), coolant, and an oil change.

Probably want to do spark plugs (1 step colder) gapped at .026 while you're starting fresh.

·
Registered
2014 Focus ST2
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also
It's best to go in-person at the dealer and order all the gaskets piece by piece by referencing the parts diagrams.

Off the top of my head you will need all engine to turbo Gaskets (including oil feed/return and coolant line gaskets), downpipe gasket, intake manifold gaskets, oil cooler gaskets, flywheel bolts.

You'll need transmission and brake fluid ( trans fluid spills out when you remove the axles, brake fluid for bleeding the clutch), coolant, and an oil change.

Probably want to do spark plugs (1 step colder) gapped at .026 while you're starting fresh.
Can these be taken off my last engine using it as a core? I have the flywheel bolts, the transmission fluid, and the spark plugs. Just picked them up yesterday. But I guess, how much cost am I looking on top of that? Im looking at edgeautosport because I usually get most of my OEM stuff through them.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett GTX2860R Gen 2. FBO
8,868 Posts
Also

Can these be taken off my last engine using it as a core? I have the flywheel bolts, the transmission fluid, and the spark plugs. Just picked them up yesterday. But I guess, how much cost am I looking on top of that? Im looking at edgeautosport because I usually get most of my OEM stuff through them.
No, you cant reuse gaskets or fluids.

·
Registered
2.0 ecoboost, 2.3 ecoboost
21 Posts
Alright, so I blew my last motor, and i’m in the process now of getting my focus back on the street, I found a lower mileage 2015 Ford Escape engine. Would that be a direct fit into my 2014 Focus ST? Also, what could i reuse from my last motor, and what would I need brand new? First time doing an engine swap and just curious.
According to my sources, both cars come with the first generation 2.0 ecoboost motor, and should exchange with each other.

·
Registered
2.0 ecoboost, 2.3 ecoboost
21 Posts
Biggest problem with engine swap so far, in town i get my usual 22-24 mpg, but freeway, im maxing out at 25 going 70-75, what can i do to fix this?
Try "driving with your boost gauge". If you can run while your turbo is in a vacuum, you'll increase your mileage. I do it mostly while traveling in my truck, saves fuel, but you do need to downshift and creep up and over hills, etc.

·
Registered
2014 Focus ST2
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Okay, well fixed the mpg thing, realized cruise control isnt the greatest for mpg, one other problem I have had, I have a tick sound, almost sounds like something is hitting against my rotor, as it gets quicker as i get up in speeds and quieter and completely stops as I slow down. I usually hear it stop around 45-50. I even tried taking the car out of gear coming down a hill still gaining speed, idle was at 800 like normal, but the sound was still getting quicker. Just not sure if thats something thats actually in the engine or if its something to do with my brake lines, coilovers, or any of those because it sounds as its coming from under the car, or the driver side front wheel well. Also went and checked the main pulleys to see if anything was riding up against them, couldn't see too good but didn't seem as anything was hitting the pulleys.
Today I was cruising around and was going about 35-40 and heard it kick in every 10 seconds or so, just seemed as it was as I hut a bump, but when im going over 65 it nonstop makes that ticking. Any help with this is appreciated! Just not really sure where to start with it

·
Super Moderator
2018 Ford Focus ST1 with a 2867 gen 2
2,446 Posts
Ok so I have a 1.0l ecoboost engine in my 2019 ford focus st line and want to fit a more powerful engine. Any suggestions?
You'll probably have to check out another site that deals with the newer generation ST as we only deal with the 2013-2018 here. Maybe @sttwoton would have a suggestion for you?

Reactions: sttwoton
1 - 20 of 21 Posts