Ford Focus ST Forum banner

321 - 330 of 330 Posts

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Can we post what definitively fixed your idle and stalling problem on a 2013 ST?
In my case (2013 ST1) it was just the two engine harness splices, done using the Recall (solder) method. All of my other splices are original. That fixed the issue for me.

But later, I also cleaned up all of the driver's frame rail grounds - including the two under the battery tray (requires removing the battery), and the engine/transmission side of that ground strap too. And, the dealer updated my PCM firmware too as part of the harness recall work.

I recall one poster here who, even after all that work still had issues. So, that poster on his own just went out and bought a new engine harness for a little over $200, replaced it himself and that solved the problem.

I also seem to recall that Ford went public that the Tunisian wire harness manufacturer used at the time was problematic and didn't keep proper production records.

So at the end of the day IMHO it seems to me that for virtually 100% of us 2013 owners, the issue was entirely the engine harness.

Hope that helps,
Mark

P.S. Editing to clarify that the problem for me was solved once the two splices were fixed using the TSB method (new crimps). Later, when the car went in for the recall method, the dealer also updated my PCM firmware as a courtesy. So no change to my conclusive observation that, at least for the 2013's, this is an engine harness issue exclusively.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I also seem to recall that Ford went public that the Tunisian wire harness manufacturer used at the time was problematic and didn't keep proper production records.
Wow. That gives me some closure at least. I once spent an hour arguing with Ford Customer Service that my car needed to have the recall fix done because it exhibits the exact issues described. Their response was based on my VIN I cannot have the faulty parts in the recall and all I can do is leave it at a dealer and have them diagnose it.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Wow. That gives me some closure at least. I once spent an hour arguing with Ford Customer Service that my car needed to have the recall fix done because it exhibits the exact issues described. Their response was based on my VIN I cannot have the faulty parts in the recall and all I can do is leave it at a dealer and have them diagnose it.
Yeah... At the time the TSB was replaced by the Recall a there was some chatter on these forums about how some posters had the exact same symptoms but fell outside the production date windows listed in the recall.

I think you have three choices:

1. Get @FordService involved to see if Ford might not make an exception in your case and perform the Recall work gratis.
2. Perform the Recall procedure yourself or have a qualified technician do it for you -- note this has implications for your warranty depending on your mileage!
3. Replace the engine harness. For my 2013, the part lookup is: Engine Harness for 2013 Ford Focus|CU5Z-12A581-MA : AutoNation Ford White Bear Lake | Parts & Accessories

Hope that helps,
Mark

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Thanks Mark for the very detailed reply, I really appreciate it.
You're most welcome! Just pay it forward when you can!

All the best,
Mark

·
Registered
209 Posts
Yeah... At the time the TSB was replaced by the Recall a there was some chatter on these forums about how some posters had the exact same symptoms but fell outside the production date windows listed in the recall.

I think you have three choices:

1. Get @FordService involved to see if Ford might not make an exception in your case and perform the Recall work gratis.
2. Perform the Recall procedure yourself or have a qualified technician do it for you -- note this has implications for your warranty depending on your mileage!
3. Replace the engine harness. For my 2013, the part lookup is: Engine Harness for 2013 Ford Focus|CU5Z-12A581-MA : AutoNation Ford White Bear Lake | Parts & Accessories

Hope that helps,
Mark
How difficult is it to replace to the wiring harness? Any hard to reach spots or everything can be reached without removing anything else?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I bought my '13 new in October of '12. It started having problems early. I took it to the dealer several times and they swore they replaced every piece of electronics under the hood and the recall was done, but the problem still occurs regularly. With my car, that means it will have the problem consistently for weeks at a time, then go away for weeks at a time, etc. Is there a way to get the dealer to re-do the TSB or recall work? To make matters worse, I now live 1100 miles away from where I bought the car and had the work done. The closest dealer now tells me to go back to the original dealer. Nope. Unless any of you have a better suggestion, I'll attempt the fix myself. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
7,450 Posts
I bought my '13 new in October of '12. It started having problems early. I took it to the dealer several times and they swore they replaced every piece of electronics under the hood and the recall was done, but the problem still occurs regularly. With my car, that means it will have the problem consistently for weeks at a time, then go away for weeks at a time, etc. Is there a way to get the dealer to re-do the TSB or recall work? To make matters worse, I now live 1100 miles away from where I bought the car and had the work done. The closest dealer now tells me to go back to the original dealer. Nope. Unless any of you have a better suggestion, I'll attempt the fix myself. Thanks!
If you are near any local competent ST members from here, one of them may be able to sort you out.

What's your location-ish?

321 - 330 of 330 Posts