Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 330 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
UPDATE - 10/23/14 (XRJoe)
Ford Service video added to the bottom of this post courtesy of @jdub1981

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE 9/10/2014
lost compression on cylinder 1 at roughly 27000 miles. Going to trade it in once the dealer fixes it I'm sick and tired of all the troubles I've had with this thing.

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE!!! 7/21/2014
I dug back into the harness to replace the remaining 6 splices and on initial test drive I found no change. At the first stop the RPM went down to about 450 then shot back up to 1200 before settling down. I used my accesport to reset ecu and KAM and still no change. will keep updated on what I find.

UPDATE!!! 7/14/2014
So after reading through this thread I have noticed there are 7 splices that need to be replaced not just the one I originally explained.

So after having the stalling issue that everybody else is also having I got tired of trying to take it to the dealer, they wanted to put a bunch of sensors on it. My mind tells me what do all these sensors have in common and that is where I would find the problem.

I guess by now everybody has heard of the TSB for engine stalling, replace splice blah blah blah... Here is how you fix it your self (sorry i was in a rush and didnt get any pics of the actual splice, but its simple to fix)

Tools
- Butane Torch, or a soldering iron
- solder
- heat shrink tubing
- flat head screwdriver
- wire cutters
- razor blade
- about 3 inches of extra wire
- electrical tape

Since i do not have pics of the individual steps i am going to explain them very carefully(pretty much the same thing the TSB says to do)

1. remove the round tube coming from the core support to the air box (cold air inlet, the round one)

2. remove the sound symposer hose (looks like a giant piece of wire loom that goes from the intake manifold to the firewall, it pulls off the intake with a little effort)

3. try and get the radiator hose that is right next to air box secured to the right somehow, i used zip ties to strap it to the air box. just get it out of your way because the harness you have to repair is right below it.

4. locate the MAF.. ok now follow the small wire harness that is connected to the MAF until it connects to a larger harness. that is the harness with the splice.

5. cut open wire harness, roughly 5 inches below from where the MAF joins the harness. CAREFUL NOT TO CUT ANY ACTUAL WIRES!!!! LIGHT PRESSURE WITH A RAZOR BLADE WILL CUT THE TAPE JUST FINE AND NOT DAMAGE THE WIRES!!!

6. what you are looking for is a yellow/green wire that is "spliced" into four other wires. that it the problem the TSB is talking about.

7. cut out the splice with the wire cutters, and strip back the four wires and twist them together, then solder those wires directly to the one that was on the other end of the splice ( might need extra wire to reach) solder and heat shrink everything,

8. wrap harness with tape and put everything back together.

My car was stalling almost everyday and at one point every time I came to a stop, after completing this repair i have been two days with out incident. the RPM's have never once gone below 750.

Here are some pics for reference. sorry i didnt get any of the actual repair. i did this on my lunch break at work, took about 20 minutes to complete.
IMG_0002.JPG IMG_0003.JPG

Ford Service Video:

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
I think you mean MAP sensor, the Focus ST is speed density and doesn't use a MAF sensor despite the error in the factory service manual calling the T-MAP (temperature-manifold absolute pressure sensor) a MAF since the base car uses a MAF. But otherwise good job on successfully repairing the car yourself.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Thanks for sharing this. I don't have a problem with it stalling, it just shuddered every once and a while. I would much rather do this myself than waste a day or two at the dealership. Besides, without it throwing codes and stalling I doubt they would do anything for me.

Wes

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
make sure to use genuine ford electrical tape and crimp type connector, other wise they can deny you warranty work in the future

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think you mean MAP sensor, the Focus ST is speed density and doesn't use a MAF sensor despite the error in the factory service manual calling the T-MAP (temperature-manifold absolute pressure sensor) a MAF since the base car uses a MAF. But otherwise good job on successfully repairing the car yourself.
you get the idea lol my bad

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Thank you for this.

Sent from my HTC One

·
Registered
693 Posts
Good job! If I can't get Ford to play ball, I'll do this myself. I was waiting to find out exactly where S132 was, and waiting for my car to start stalling again, before I considered it though.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Thanks for this dealer just denied the TSB since they couldnt pull codes. Tried to blame it on my air intake which I just put in. But the other 5 times I came in/called about the issue I got nothing.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good job! If I can't get Ford to play ball, I'll do this myself. I was waiting to find out exactly where S132 was, and waiting for my car to start stalling again, before I considered it though.
your welcome. I didnt know exactly where the splice was either, after reading the TSB directions over and over I just winged it and got lucky and cut open the harness right where it was.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for this dealer just denied the TSB since they couldnt pull codes. Tried to blame it on my air intake which I just put in. But the other 5 times I came in/called about the issue I got nothing.
I love it when they say the intake is the problem. yeah too much air flow... RIGHT! lol

·
Registered
530 Posts
This is a HUGE help for the community OP, well done! How did you find s132? Was if labeled or did you have a wiring diagram?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is a HUGE help for the community OP, well done! How did you find s132? Was if labeled or did you have a wiring diagram?
i just kinda guessed as to where it was at and got lucky. i knew what harness they were talking about so i just went from there. and if you look at the harness closely you can see where the splice is at, it pokes out a little bit from the rest of the harness through the tape.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i just kinda guessed as to where it was at and got lucky. i knew what harness they were talking about so i just went from there. and if you look at the harness closely you can see where the splice is at, it pokes out a little bit from the rest of the harness through the tape.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
This needs to be a sticky.

Edit: There should be a DYI section on the forum & this one should be a sticky for a year. With people upgrading along with now having to repair DYI's, it would be great for people to have a place to put their DYI advice. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: StevosST

·
Registered
538 Posts
Well I know the next thing I'm doing when I get some free time lol

I think I have just a FEW too many mods for the dealer to want to actually fix this for me. I know they'll tell me they couldn't replicate the car dropping RPMs and I've never actually thrown a code

1 - 20 of 330 Posts