Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the form, but I've owned my 16 ST3 for a little under two years. Anyway I have this odd engine shudder when it comes to idle, the engine will dive down to ~500RPM then jump back up. It does this cold, hot, A/C on or off, its completely random. I've had it looked at once, going to get another look at it tomorrow.

It does this when I come to a stop at a light or just sitting anyone else have this issue? Any fixes?

From what I've gathered from the forms and internet is that dealers either don't have a fix or throw parts at it and see what sticks

P.S. She's got 26k on her so its under warranty and is completely stock

Thanks

·
Registered
209 Posts
as far as i know, nobody REALLY knows why these cars do this, but many claim its a wiring harness issue that was recalled. But that's just what we're told. Don't worry about it. My car's been doing this for 4 years and 58K miles, and no issues. It's annoying, but not a real problem.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Have the same model of the same year. Mine does this too but mostly when i come to a stop in neutral with the AC on during a hot day.

Ive been scrubbing the forums on this occasionally and notice some others have this problem but i personally haven't taken mine to get fixed.

Read once that they reprogram the ecu and that helped. Take it in to the dealership and see what they do since its under warranty.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What I've been told by techs is that because these cars are trying to be as efficient as possible and use as little fuel they aren't giving themselves enough when it goes down to idle, and then realizes that it doesn't have enough and throws more fuel at it. I'm just worried that its gonna lead to a bigger problem in the future

·
Registered
236 Posts
Same model year as you. This issue is affected by engine tune and rear motor mount. I noticed the shudder really bad when I had the Steeda RMM with the black race bushing. Changed it to the red, softer, bushing and much less noticeable. Also changed Idle speed to 900 through tune and it helped. I notice it more if AC is on during a hot day. You have to add enough throttle and mildly slip the clutch to avoid the shudder. Changed the spring on the clutch assist to the Steeda helped a bit too.

·
Super Moderator
9,548 Posts
^^^What nick said^^^ A tune will solve it. The early models had a wire harness recall that was supposed to fix it and the newer models should have the fix from the factory. I guess I am lucky as I have an early build 2013 and have never had the issue.

Reactions: nickbaldwin86

·
Registered
17 Posts
There is actually a TSB for a reflash to address "Idle speed dips." Not to be confused with the cold start misfire that we all have with these cars.

TSB 16-0025
2.0L GTDI - MAY EXPERIENCE IDLE SPEED DIPS - POSSIBLE MIL - DTCS P2610 AND/OR P08B9
Publication Date: February 26, 2016

FORD: 2015-2016 Focus
ISSUE:
Some 2015-2016 Focus ST vehicles equipped with 2.0L Gasoline Turbocharged Direct Injection (GTDI) engine may exhibit an engine speed dip with or without an illuminated malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) and/or diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) P2610 and/or P08B9 stored in powertrain control module (PCM) memory.
ACTION:
Reprogram the PCM to the latest calibration using IDS release 99.02 or higher. Make sure you are connected to the internet when entering module programming to obtain the latest updates. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraftservice.com.
OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
160025A 2015-2016 Focus 2.0L GTDI: Retrieve DTCs And Reprogram The PCM (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 0.3 Hr.

WARRANTY STATUS
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage And Emissions Warranty Coverage.
Warranty/ESP coverage limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. Warranty/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
RECALEM 04

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have the same issue except for me the shudder is only largely noticeable with A/C on. Any time I feel shudder I just tighten the rear motor mount and it usually stops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
let us know how it goes. I might need to dealer my car :(
Yep .. Got it done and noticeable improvement! Still some slight fluctuations but nothing that makes me feel like my car is gunna stall anymore. No more hard shaking either.

So I duplicated it on my own while taking a video of the Tachometer. First I fired up my A/C to Max then from a stop started in 1st and accelerated up to 2Krpms then engaged the clutch to watch the rpms drop to the normal idle around 800rpms; then immediately it sharply dipped down to around 400rpms with engine shudder, and then it quickly recovered back to 800rpms. Took a video of this occurring a few times in a row and showed it to the service advisor along with a copy of this TSB. He agreed I had the issue and gave a copy to the tech, along with writing up the details in the repair report. I think even without the video and TSB they would of figured it out and fixed it since my dealership is pretty good and usually goes above and beyond the norm to resolve issues. But having the video and TSB was still good to ensure it got done.

Thanks again for posting this TSB @n.page.86 and many thanks to the OP @young497 for making this thread. This kind of stuff is why I really love reading the forums and FocusST.org is the best!

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Car is currently at the local dealer... for an alignment... I asked if they would look at this TSB while it is in. the told me it would cost $120 because it isn't a warranty or recall issue :( I will pass and buy a COBB AP3. Should be tuned by next week :)
It's time! You've ascended!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts