Ford Focus ST Forum banner

Engine movement causing squeaking/chirping

10K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  gogurt_st 
#1 · (Edited)
This is my first post so I hope this is in the right place! I've recently come across an extremely annoying sound coming from the engine area when shifting 1-2 and sometimes 2-3. If I get it up in the 3,000+ RPM range and shift (or simply let off the gas when the engine hits higher revs) it makes a squeak/chirp noise (no it is not boost blow off etc. and I am not chirping the tires). If I shift out of 1st at a lower RPM (and baby it) and the engine isn't under very much torque, it does not do it. It only does it 1st-2nd and sometimes 2nd-3rd but never 3-4 etc. This led me to think it was the air box rubber grommet that everyone is talking about. I greased it liberally and still have the noise. I really don't think it's an air leak of any sort because if I hit any significant bumps it squeaks as well. The only other thing I can think of it being would be an loose or bad engine mount (RMM or side mm?). I can't find any threads or posts regarding the sound it would normally make, so I have nothing to compare it to. I am attaching a link to a 10 second video of the noise from the cabin. I'm shifting 1st to 2nd and as soon as I push in the clutch you can hear the chirp/squeak and shift to 2nd and then 2nd-3rd (it's very hard to hear so listen carefully). This is really frustrating so any ideas/suggestions what it might be would be awesome. Like I said, it's only when the engine is under a load, then isn't and the engine moves around, or I hit a big bump causing movement somewhere in the engine bay.

See less See more
#2 ·
Do you have the stock BPV or aftermarket. Because to me it sounds like the BPV, it may be malfunctioning or you have a leak somewhere. Rev it up in neutral not moving and see if the BPV makes the same noise.

#3 ·
It's a stock BPV I believe (just bought it used last month). After I rev the engine it doesn't make the noise, only the normal BPV noise (which sounds great lol).

#4 ·
Sounds odd, I find it hard to believe that any of the mounts could be making such a high pitched noise. The passenger mount is easy to inspect, along with the RMM. I'd check those out real quick visually.

#6 ·
Okay ill check those when I get off work. Not sure what to look for to tell if they are bad/need repair? It doesn't require a shift. If i get on it in 1st then let off the gas suddenly (the vehicle jars) and yes it makes the noise then. If I do it in 2nd it barely does it but not always. It's mainly in 1st gear or if I hit a decent bump it does it as well. I read another thread and thought maybe a bad cv joint? It sounds like it's coming more from the driver's side.

#7 ·
I doubt it's a CV joint being that they are at a constant velocity when moving so acceleration shouldn't matter. But you said it happens when you hit a bump, so that tells me struts. Get out of the car and bounce the car while stationary and see if the noise is there.

#8 ·
I will do so and let you know how it goes!:big smile:

Reactions: elyk864
#15 ·
Hey Lee, unfortunately, I never found out what was making the noise; It eventually went away. My 2013 ST was totaled 2 months ago so I never had a chance to fully figure out what was going on. Did you try all the suggestions on this thread and the grease that rubber grommet by the airbox?

#14 ·
My old Impreza does that...it turned out to be the fan belt

#18 ·
Sorry, but the guy you're asking hasn't been around in about 3 years according to his member info.

Reactions: gogurt_st
#22 ·
Do you have somebody who can watch the engine while you rev it, or does it only do it while you're driving it?

#23 ·
I’ve had someone take a look and it doesn’t seem to move excessively while the parking brake is on or when i rev it in neutral. I do hear a sound by my right foot, or under the shifter while the car is idling. It’s a very faint squeaking that’s almost rhythmic, but then it becomes a bit louder between shifts from 1-2 and 2-3. I also felt it’s important to note that I can’t hear the sound from outside of the cab.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.