Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this belongs here but I was having some intermittent issues with my car a few weeks ago which basically resulted it in bogging down and shutting off when placed in neutral (randomly). It stopped doing it entirely until I went to go somewhere Saturday morning and upon startup (in neutral, clutch in or out) it will immediately stall and shut off. I drove it to the dealer (which was driving normally when in gear and the CEL on) and had them look at it. They told me the engine is misfiring pretty badly when the car is not in gear and could possibly be a bad wiring harness.

This is pretty frustrating being the car was purchased brand new in Oct and hasn't even hit the 5k mile mark. The dealer I bought it from (high volume dealership) basically told me to get bent as far as getting a loaner and it would be two weeks before they would even take it. Took it my local dealership and they were more than willing to give me an Escape to drive while mine is in for repairs. Has anyone had any similar experiences with their car? The last two vehicles I've owned have been Fords and I've never had any issues like this with a new car, just minor stuff.

·
Registered
862 Posts
The good thing is that it's new and under warranty just prepare your self for the loads of bs that will probably come from the dealer.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm sure it helps the car is bare bone stock.

CA lemon laws are pretty strict so If they can't fix it I'm not too worried. Just don't want to deal with this hassle.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
UPDATE: Got the car back within the same day. Evidently a wiring harness was routed improperly and chaffing against the shifter counter balance weight causing two circuits to short out. They re-soldered the harness and it is driving better than ever (not dropping any RPMs when going into neutral like I would do occasionally before). I guess someone misrouted the harness when the car was initially built.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts