Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Focus ST3
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'13 Focus ST - 80,000 miles.
Never replaced the spark plugs. Got a Stratified 93 tune 2 years ago (no bolt ons).
Purchased NGK one step colder plugs. Installed them this afternoon. I gapped them to the recommended .026 by Stratified. I torqued them by hand and feel, not with a torque wrench. I basically went hand tight and then used my wrench to tighten it a little bit mroe.
Started the car up and it took roughly 4-5 seconds holding down the ignition button for it to actually start.
My AccessPort was showing up to 6 misfires after it started and idled.

Turned the car off, waited a minute and then turned it back on. It started right up this time and only 3 misfires this time.

Drove it around and it seemed okay.

Is this something to worry about? Why would it have such a difficult time starting initially after replacing the plugs?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
2018 ST1 Hot Pepper Red
23 Posts
'13 Focus ST - 80,000 miles.
Never replaced the spark plugs. Got a Stratified 93 tune 2 years ago (no bolt ons).
Purchased NGK one step colder plugs. Installed them this afternoon. I gapped them to the recommended .026 by Stratified. I torqued them by hand and feel, not with a torque wrench. I basically went hand tight and then used my wrench to tighten it a little bit mroe.
Started the car up and it took roughly 4-5 seconds holding down the ignition button for it to actually start.
My AccessPort was showing up to 6 misfires after it started and idled.

Turned the car off, waited a minute and then turned it back on. It started right up this time and only 3 misfires this time.

Drove it around and it seemed okay.

Is this something to worry about? Why would it have such a difficult time starting initially after replacing the plugs?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Nothing to worry about. I did a FMIC install, spark plugs, and then a stratified 93 oct tune last weekend and the exact same thing happened to me. Took about 6 or 7 turns to start up after hitting the start button (you don't have to hold it), then the next time started up fine. The tune is just learning.

Reactions: aBz

·
Registered
15 TB Focus ST3
564 Posts
I'm fairly shocked your tuner didn't want a fresh set of step colder plugs before taking logs/tuning, regardless of mileage on OEM plugs.

I threw step colder NGKs in at 13k when I went custom tune, have changed them every 10k since because whats $42 bucks to a long block?

As for misfires, again kind of the original sentiment of if your tuner was tunning around a OEM/high mileage/loosely gapped plug.. kinda makes sense you might be seeing more random/errant misfires with a freshy set.

my .02

·
Registered
15 TB Focus ST3
564 Posts
aBz, might not be a bad idea to contact tuner, letting them know you changed to fresh step colder plugs; they might be kind enough to let you send them a fresh Log so they can make any fuel/timing adjustments based off plugs performance seen within the new log.

·
Registered
2013 Focus ST3
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
aBz, might not be a bad idea to contact tuner, letting them know you changed to fresh step colder plugs; they might be kind enough to let you send them a fresh Log so they can make any fuel/timing adjustments based off plugs performance seen within the new log.
Yea I am getting my new intercooler in this week so Was gonna get an updated tune anyways so I’ll be sure to mention the plugs as well.
Thanks for all the help guys!

Reactions: k1rby37
1 - 6 of 6 Posts