Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Got into my car today and when I started it, it ran rough and would barely drive. I got an "engine fault" code and it stated to "service now".

I turned the car off for 15 minutes and back on. The car runs and drives fine now. It stored a code p0106.

I looked that up and found "manifold absolute pressure/barometric pressure circuit range performance problem"

The car has an FSwerks cold air tube and green filter on it. They have been on for 5k miles with no problems. I also googled this and found that there are many people with this issue and that there is a TSB that mentions this code.

Is this common and is there an easy fix before I schedule a dealership visit?

Thanks guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
196 Posts
You either have a vacuum leak or a faulty sensor. Check your engine bay for any loose hoses or clamps. You can do a leak test yourself fairly easily as well, there are plenty of guides online. It shouldn't be very expensive for a shop to diagnose and fix either.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply! The problem did not come back in 60 miles of driving today. Those miles included in town and interstate. Also turned it off and on approximately 5 times. Weird.

·
Registered
420 Posts
It's not really common for a vacuum leak to be intermittent, but possible.

I would say you have a circuit/pin fit issue as the most likely, the MAP sensor as the second most likely. Especially since you turned the car off for 15 minutes and it corrected the issue.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
It's 2 nodes in the engine harness need to be repaired

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
There is one node that has 4 wires into one I think yellow with green stripe and a yellow with purple stripe node that is three wires into two. The tsb dictates to solder the connections. I'm an audi tech and for the fifteen years I've been with audi I've been trained since day 1 not to solder wiring repairs because it creates too much resistance. I had a local Ford tech perform the tsb for me last summer. Last month I started seeing p0106 again and it became weekly then daily then this week it was every time I started my car. Long term fuel trims as high as +20 at idle. So I decided to redo the repair I had done last summer but this time I decided to cut out the solder joint and use butt connectors like I've been trained. Boom, fixed. Let me find the link to the Ford training video and I'll post it.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts

If you're capable, get a large yellow heat shrink yellow butt connector and some medium blue butt connectors. Follow this video and repair it yourself. Get a few feet of 12 gauge wire to use in this repair. You can go larger gauge wire but not smaller so 12 gauge should be suffice for the length of wire you'll use to repair both nodes.

Reactions: Widget_Master

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Hope that helps. This is absolutely a common issue for 13' 14' cars. There was an engine harness recall for this. My car didn't fall under the recall. I guess Ford knows better. HA! Not

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hope that helps. This is absolutely a common issue for 13' 14' cars. There was an engine harness recall for this. My car didn't fall under the recall. I guess Ford knows better. HA! Not
Bro, thanks for the info. I have zero electrical skill so it's best I don't even consider it lol. Is there a range of build dates or something like that to see if my car meets the recall requirements?

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
There is. You'd have to search it. It's here somewhere. But you can also go to the Ford website for recalls and put in your vin and see if it applies to your car.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you so much for the help, I had the same problem but everytime I took it in to Ford the problem went away and I was almost at the point of selling the car but thanks to you, I repaired it and saw what a terrible job that I assume a Ford tech did with solder.

Thanks again for taking the time to help someone out there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
There is one node that has 4 wires into one I think yellow with green stripe and a yellow with purple stripe node that is three wires into two. The tsb dictates to solder the connections. I'm an audi tech and for the fifteen years I've been with audi I've been trained since day 1 not to solder wiring repairs because it creates too much resistance. I had a local Ford tech perform the tsb for me last summer. Last month I started seeing p0106 again and it became weekly then daily then this week it was every time I started my car. Long term fuel trims as high as +20 at idle. So I decided to redo the repair I had done last summer but this time I decided to cut out the solder joint and use butt connectors like I've been trained. Boom, fixed. Let me find the link to the Ford training video and I'll post it.
Thank you so much for the help, I had the same problem but everytime I took it in to Ford the problem went away and I was almost at the point of selling the car but thanks to you, I repaired it and saw what a terrible job that I assume a Ford tech did with solder.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts