Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, somehow I cracked the block of my ST and ford is telling me I am out of warranty and that it is going to be $12,000 roughly for a new stock motor out of pocket. Obviously I dont wanna spend that to begin with but it looks like I have to look into some options. I would much rather spend money on a built motor for even a little more than 12k than spend 12k to be limited by stock block capacity.
So i guess my question is I am in Michigan and I wanna know if anybody knows any shops in Michigan that does work on the 2.0L ecoboost engine? Price of build isnt a problem and neither is distance, (probably wouldn't be driving more than 150 miles tho) so if anyone know of any shops that build focus ST engines plz let me know. thank you!

·
Registered
2016 Oxford White
104 Posts
You can buy a used engine for a 1/4 of what the dealer wants. Something with low miles, even. Probably even get a shop to install at that price point.

Any shop that does engine work shouldn't have a problem with it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can buy a used engine for a 1/4 of what the dealer wants. Something with low miles, even. Probably even get a shop to install at that price point.

Any shop that does engine work shouldn't have a problem with it.
yea I saw a lot of used motors for sale for like 2k but idk I would much rather get it built at that point cuz who knows how the previous owner treated it

·
Registered
2018 ST1 Magnetic Gray
177 Posts
If price is not a problem. Roush Performance in Livonia, Michigan I think they can built what you want. Otherwise, you can get an used engine from an Escape, Lincoln MKZ, Fusion. Usually, the shops that put together build engines start with a Fusion engine block.

Reactions: jwitty

·
Super Moderator
9,502 Posts
yea I saw a lot of used motors for sale for like 2k but idk I would much rather get it built at that point cuz who knows how the previous owner treated it
If worrying about the previous owner you can always get a new Ford short block, unless you have your heart set on a "built" engine.

·
Registered
15 TB Focus ST3
521 Posts
Speed performance will ship crated built motors... and at 12k, even much less, you'd be able to go full bore, built head, 2.3... they offer keying of cams and crank, can sleeve cylinders even if wanted. Do believe they even have a 2.5 build now...

·
Registered
259 Posts
I would rather buy a lightly used engine for $1000-$1500 and have that built out. Make sure you take it to a reputable machine shop and ask them if you can spend a few extra bucks to have them test the engine before they start building it up. I've been looking at motors just for the hell of it and it's not uncommon to find ones with less than 10k miles for around $1000.

·
Super Moderator
9,502 Posts
Speed performance will ship crated built motors... and at 12k, even much less, you'd be able to go full bore, built head, 2.3... they offer keying of cams and crank, can sleeve cylinders even if wanted. Do believe they even have a 2.5 build now...
Only problem with that is they are very popular and usually have a months long wait on engine builds.

Reactions: k1rby37

·
Premium Member
1,453 Posts
Be realistic with yourself about your power goals.

If you’re not going above 350 there’s no need to build the motor.

Built motors will eventually wear out, and they don’t last as long as a stock motor. Cylinder walls oval, and they will burn oil and loose compression. If your power goals are small (350whp~) then you’d be better off just getting a cheap used motor and having it installed.

If you wanna hit 500hp and rev to 9k then it’s reasonable to build the motor.

Also the 12k Ford quoted is likely for a brand new motor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
377 Posts
Finding a local shop with Ecoboost experience can be pretty challenging. I would vote for either throwing in a used stock engine or ordering a built engine and having it shipped to you. I have a pretty good connection for used motors just a few hours south of you in ohio.

·
Premium Member
2013 ST2, AGP BWS turbo, long block
620 Posts
what turbo do you plan on pairing with your build?
That will dictate your power goals and what internals you'll need.
I just rebuilt a forged motor. 40,000 miles with hardened pistons glazed and beat up walls much quicker than most daily motors would like. Ended up honing it and putting new rings in it and It was all good. But using stock pistons or medium performance pistons would have been a better choice.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
what turbo do you plan on pairing with your build?
That will dictate your power goals and what internals you'll need.
I just rebuilt a forged motor. 40,000 miles with hardened pistons glazed and beat up walls much quicker than most daily motors would like. Ended up honing it and putting new rings in it and It was all good. But using stock pistons or medium performance pistons would have been a better choice.
definitely wanna get one of the ATP turbos but power wise id like to be around 400. probably GTX3071R

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
If you're not going past 450 you're completely fine with the stock motor.
I'd find a low mileage motor and swap that bad boy in. Save some money for the turbo kit.

past 450, you need a keyed crank and fuel upgrade (aux or HPFP). That's around the mark it'd be worth doing motor building.

That, or if you plan to tune it yourself. The ATP kits are well studied and tuners can make the stock pistons run safely. If you're researching your own Turbo kit, tougher pistons could save your @$$ if you start knocking or push to much pressure.

Reactions: jwitty

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'd find a low mileage motor and swap that bad boy in. Save some money for the turbo kit.

past 450, you need a keyed crank and fuel upgrade (aux or HPFP). That's around the mark it'd be worth doing motor building.

That, or if you plan to tune it yourself. The ATP kits are well studied and tuners can make the stock pistons run safely. If you're researching your own Turbo kit, tougher pistons could save your @$$ if you start knocking or push to much pressure.
so whats the absolute max the stock block can handle

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

stock engine entirely i should say

·
Registered
15 TB Focus ST3
521 Posts
Stock internals 450 max, 425 safer.

Stock fueling 375-360

Stock turbo 300-305

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
300 is unlikely with the stock turbo. it really can't break 30 lb/min of air.

·
Premium Member
2,022 Posts
You could get a very beefy motor for that price.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
so, my warranty guy inspected my car and im full bolt ons w/ e30 tune and i uninstalled my accessport and they fully covered my cylinder head parts and labor. thank you everybody for the responses, as of now I am gonna stick with stock block since theyre replacing everything thats broken for pretty close to nothing out of pocket for me but I definently will be looking back on all this helpful information in the future!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts