Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Kat's block heater for the Focus. I started looking at the engine to see where it's mounted. Lo and behold there already is one in the block. YAY No cord was attached to it. But the cord that came with the Kat's heater fit it. However, it appears the heater element in the engine doesn't work. I get no heat after plugging it in, and a continuity test shows an open circuit. So now I either remove the one in the block completely and replace it with the Kat's. Or replace the element of the one in the block which appears to be held in place in the fitting with a snap ring and O ring seal. Any opinions on which would be best?

·
Administrator
12,651 Posts
I bought a Kat's block heater for the Focus. I started looking at the engine to see where it's mounted. Lo and behold there already is one in the block. YAY No cord was attached to it. But the cord that came with the Kat's heater fit it. However, it appears the heater element in the engine doesn't work. I get no heat after plugging it in, and a continuity test shows an open circuit. So now I either remove the one in the block completely and replace it with the Kat's. Or replace the element of the one in the block which appears to be held in place in the fitting with a snap ring and O ring seal. Any opinions on which would be best?
Ok, i have no ****ing clue what you are talking about.

A block heater for the 2.0 turbo gasoline motor?

Help me, help you.

·
Administrator
12,651 Posts
Pretty much if it snows in your state you should have one from the factory.

Sent from another garage.
I get snow, I'm on blizzaks right now. I live in Pennsylvania not Louisiana, Never heard of a gas ST with a block heater, thought this was a Diesel ST problem, lol.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, i have no ****ing clue what you are talking about.

A block heater for the 2.0 turbo gasoline motor?

Help me, help you.
Yes, an engine block coolant heater. On my engine it's located on the driver's side, in the front under the intake manifold. In Wisco. we see outside winter temps in the -20F. Currently I'm using a contact heater on the oil pan. When it's 20F or less, that gets plugged in.

·
Administrator
12,651 Posts
Yes, an engine block coolant heater. On my engine it's located on the driver's side, in the front under the intake manifold. In Wisco. we see outside winter temps in the -20F. Currently I'm using a contact heater on the oil pan. When it's 20F or less, that gets plugged in.
Gas engines have had heaters since probably before I was born.

Im aware of heaters, just not for a gas ST, I will stick to booze, beers and guns from now on. Rofl

·
Administrator
12,651 Posts
Check for a cable by your driver side headlight. Three prong if I remember correctly. You might have one.

LMFAO!!!!

I have dropped the oil pan, trans, and more than half my engine bay. I do not have a block heater, nor a plug for such a item.

You sir are talking to Duece McCracken, there is nothing on my ST that is a mystery. Thanks for the heads up though, that would have cleared up some questions!!!

·
Premium Member
13,953 Posts
LMFAO!!!!

I have dropped the oil pan, trans, and more than half my engine bay. I do not have a block heater, nor a plug for such a item.

You sir are talking to Duece McCracken, there is nothing on my ST that is a mystery. Thanks for the heads up though, that would have cleared up some questions!!!
Front side on the block is a large plug. I believe top left just under the head.

·
Administrator
12,651 Posts
Front side on the block is a large plug. I believe top left just under the head.

Bruv, I have no such thing on my ST. I have manually cleaned my valves, replaced all motor mounts, installed an OCC, charge pipes, removed my balance shafts, no way I have a block heater. I would have seen it and researched the **** outta it by now. I'm a residential, commercial, industrial Union electrician, an un plugged connector anywhere on my car would have lead to a witch hunt. **** like that drives me to insane research levels...

·
Premium Member
13,953 Posts
Bruv, I have no such thing on my ST. I have manually cleaned my valves, replaced all motor mounts, installed an OCC, charge pipes, removed my balance shafts, no way I have a block heater. I would have seen it and researched the **** outta it by now. I'm a residential, commercial, industrial Union electrician, an un plugged connector anywhere on my car would have lead to a witch hunt. **** like that drives me to insane research levels...
Didn't say you had the heater. You have the plug though. If you look at the picture I posted it's at the top left. This picture shows a regular plug and not the heater plug.

·
Administrator
12,651 Posts
Didn't say you had the heater. You have the plug though. If you look at the picture I posted it's at the top left. This picture shows a regular plug and not the heater plug.

The picture shows no plug, just bare metal.

You sir, have just started a witch hunt. I am sharpening my pitch fork and readying my torch as I type. I will inspect thoroughly and report back in a really long amount of time, lol.

Reactions: AK2112

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The picture shows no plug, just bare metal.

You sir, have just started a witch hunt. I am sharpening my pitch fork and readying my torch as I type. I will inspect thoroughly and report back in a really long amount of time, lol.
lol

Reactions: Duece McCracken
1 - 20 of 32 Posts