Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, pretty sure this question has been asked a thousand times, but, I was wondering who here lives in the NOVA or Northern Virginia area that is knowledgeable on the emission testing. I want to begin modifying my ST but also want to make sure I pass the god dang emissions. I want to go catless, but if all else fails I might as well go catted Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
2,372 Posts
Hey guys, pretty sure this question has been asked a thousand times, but, I was wondering who here lives in the NOVA or Northern Virginia area that is knowledgeable on the emission testing. I want to begin modifying my ST but also want to make sure I pass the god dang emissions. I want to go catless, but if all else fails I might as well go catted Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Hey man, FYI I've seen emissions sniffers w/ cameras stationed at on/off ramps to 495, I presume to catch people between emissions inspections. I've never been caught (because I'm not catless) so I don't know what comes of it but beware.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just gut your cat, or what ever cat comes on the exhaust you want. visual is harder to pass then the test with the right tune.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Newer cars just plug into the machine, if you're not throwing any codes you should be ok as long as you can pass the visual, been my exprience this far. My 97 Integra is so modded its not even remotely legal. Then again I say I park in down in Fredericksburg where they don't require emissions.
When I see the roadside emission checks I shut the car off and coast by them, lol.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hey man, FYI I've seen emissions sniffers w/ cameras stationed at on/off ramps to 495, I presume to catch people between emissions inspections. I've never been caught (because I'm not catless) so I don't know what comes of it but beware.
What DP are you running? Curious as well about what DP to get, I just dont want to have any issues lol.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Unless you want to go through the trouble of swapping out the DP ever time a test is due just go with an aftermarket catted DP. You still get a nice power increase and don't have to worry about dealing with being emission compliant.

I do know if MD that I used to pass in my Mustangs as long as they were tuned correctly. But for the Focus I don't want the exhaust to sound like crap so I don't mind having a cat.

I do have a Depo catted DP. They are 100 cell which is about as free flowing of a cat as you'll get. I believe factory is 800.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts