Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have one of those air compressors to inflate tires that plugs into the 12v outlet in your car. The plug on the compressor broke so I bought a new one on Amazon. The wire coming out of the compressor is like a lamp cord where one wire is ribbed (neutral) and the other is smooth (hot). The wires coming out of the new plug I bought are colored red and black. How do I hook these up? I was thinking the red is hot so it hooks up to the smooth wire coming out of the compressor?

·
Super Moderator
7,329 Posts
I have one of those air compressors to inflate tires that plugs into the 12v outlet in your car. The plug on the compressor broke so I bought a new one on Amazon. The wire coming out of the compressor is like a lamp cord where one wire is ribbed (neutral) and the other is smooth (hot). The wires coming out of the new plug I bought are colored red and black. How do I hook these up? I was thinking the red is hot so it hooks up to the smooth wire coming out of the compressor?
You could disect the old plug to confirm.

I agree with your current theory, but its nice to know for sure.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You could disect the old plug to confirm.

I agree with your current theory, but its nice to know for sure.
Unfortunately I no longer have the old plug. The plug has a fuse in it so hoping if it is hooked up incorrectly the worst that will happen is the fuse will blow.

·
Super Moderator
7,329 Posts
Unfortunately I no longer have the old plug. The plug has a fuse in it so hoping if it is hooked up incorrectly the worst that will happen is the fuse will blow.
It should be fine. Go for it!

Yes, its fuse protected, and the car's 12v is fuse protected, I dont see it causing any problems. Plus unless theres diodes involved, there wont be much of an issue regardless, well mostly.

Also, I am an Industrial/Commercial electrician, so technically this is proffessional advice. Lol

·
Registered
257 Posts
The positive wire should connect to the tip of the cigarette lighter plug, while ground to the side retaining spring things. I had to do the same thing a while back for a low wattage car inverter that had the same thing happen to it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS 6 using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts