Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an ST1 and with those seats and my spirited driving, I feel most comfortable and secure sitting fairly far forward with the seat back pretty upright. (Seat height cranked sometimes, depending on if I have on a thick coat or not.)

In this position, my left elbow rests on the door. Although there's a little cloth portion there, it's hard as a rock even through a jacket. I'm not sure if the other trim levels are padded there or something but OUCH! I have a 1 hour commute that I do twice each day and my left elbow doesn't appreciate it.

Anyone else have this issue? Any products that would specifically fit this area? I tried the "elbow friend" and attempted to trim it down to size; what a joke.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Not me, because I've got a custom armrest cover with extra padding, which not only makes it extra soft but also brings my left elbow up to just the right height. So there's me waiting in queues with my right hand on the steering and almost falling asleep leaning on my armrest. :sleep:A lot of the time I even lean on it whilst driving, which I didn't do before. Driving on the right-hand side, you should try it! :D:cool:

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I've definitely noticed that the driver's door armrest is... lacking.

I think your best bet would be to go to an upholstery/interior shop to see what they could do for you. Just adding more size/depth to the arm rest portion of the door card definitely seems like something that could be done.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I had my door armrests custom reupholstered in leather, mainly because the original fabric became "baggy" as the underlying thin piece of foam deteriorated in the Florida heat and humidity - in the process all the foam underlay was removed and not replaced, so mine are even harder now! lol.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Not me, because I've got a custom armrest cover with extra padding, which not only makes it extra soft but also brings my left elbow up to just the right height. So there's me waiting in queues with my right hand on the steering and almost falling asleep leaning on my armrest. :sleep:A lot of the time I even lean on it whilst driving, which I didn't do before. Driving on the right-hand side, you should try it! :D:cool:
This is one thing that's missing from this car. MY GTI's had a center rest that would telescope and extend as well as ratchet for height. There is basically no right-hand armrest in this car and it drives me nuts.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I had my door armrests custom reupholstered in leather, mainly because the original fabric became "baggy" as the underlying thin piece of foam deteriorated in the Florida heat and humidity - in the process all the foam underlay was removed and not replaced, so mine are even harder now! lol.
If I bother keeping this car, that may be what I eventually have to do as well. The fabric Ford chose for this location is very poor, and all but impossible to clean without damaging it.

·
Registered
956 Posts
If I bother keeping this car, that may be what I eventually have to do as well. The fabric Ford chose for this location is very poor, and all but impossible to clean without damaging it.
I do have a spare set of almost pristine ST front door cards (pre-facelift) if you are interested. See FS post.

·
Registered
933 Posts
This is one thing that's missing from this car. MY GTI's had a center rest that would telescope and extend as well as ratchet for height. There is basically no right-hand armrest in this car and it drives me nuts.
All jesting aside, it's really quite convenient for me driving on the right-hand side, 'cause being right handed it feels more natural controlling the wheel with that hand, whilst my non-dominant arm's able to rest, with that hand at just the right height for a quick gear change at all times. That's why my elbow's almost always resting now with the new padded cover. As more mods are added to the interior my seating position's becoming more and more like a cross between a fighter cockpit and a comfy armchair! It's especially comfy because I specifically had the firm make the perforated black section out of a fancy soft leather. Now I wouldn't mind to do the same to the door panels, and add a bit more padding to those too, even though I hardly use that side.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I'll have to look, but I vaguely recall reading a forum post about a company that sells a more premium door panel coverings. They look really nice, and are probably what Ford should have offered for the ST3- but the bean-counters won. I myself do not usually rest my elbows on anything, so I do not miss it, but I can see that that would be annoying if you did.

·
Registered
918 Posts

·
Registered
2016 ST2, Absolute Black, Turbosmart BPV, Dual OCCs, Innovative RMM, JBR Intake & SS Arm, 245/40R18
6 Posts
That is a sweet looking insert.

Some of us have a worse problem, though. It feels more natural to rest my elbow on top of the door panel, just inside the widow, and it's hard plastic. I don't think I'm gonna change years of driving like this on trips or cruising.

Anyone got a suggestion for an elbow pad to mount in that area?
I don't care about looks that much, but I wouldn't use duct tape, lol. Double-sided gorilla tape OTOH might be a good option.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts