Ford Focus ST Forum banner
21 - 40 of 876 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
we've actually talked about getting our own powder coating setup, we just haven't had the chance to pull the trigger on it.
yes. Do it!

edit: that was supposed to be all caps but apparently forum doesnt let you do this.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Subscribing, and very interested in the Forgestar wheels. Are they available for sale in 5x108 bolt pattern?

·
Vendor
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Should be getting our stuff back from powder coat either Monday or Tuesday next week. I just hope we can get them installed before Thanksgiving so the thought of those beautifully powder coated new parts sitting all alone in their boxes doesn't ruin my Thanksgiving dinner :/

·
Vendor
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
We haven't actually seen any of the Spec kits for the Focus ST yet but we ordered one for our build and here it is. We picked the Stage 3+ clutch because of it's full face design being a little more street friendly. Spec says it holds well over 600 torque so I think we'll be just fine lol. There are 2 different types of kits available, one uses the stock flywheel and one must be used with Spec's flywheel which is what we have here. It's super lightweight, a little lighter than we imagined it would be so we'll see if that causes any "comfort" issues so we can report back. We really don't care since the more "race car" it is, the better it is but some of you might not look at it that way. These are on our site if you're interested in picking one up.

We've had plenty of happy customers in other platforms with the Spec clutches so we were pretty comfortable with this limited choice so far. We'll also be putting the Quaife LSD in it simultaneously.

·
The Mod with a Mouth
9,494 Posts
We haven't actually seen any of the Spec kits for the Focus ST yet but we ordered one for our build and here it is. We picked the Stage 3+ clutch because of it's full face design being a little more street friendly. Spec says it holds well over 600 torque so I think we'll be just fine lol. There are 2 different types of kits available, one uses the stock flywheel and one must be used with Spec's flywheel which is what we have here. It's super lightweight, a little lighter than we imagined it would be so we'll see if that causes any "comfort" issues so we can report back. We really don't care since the more "race car" it is, the better it is but some of you might not look at it that way. These are on our site if you're interested in picking one up.

We've had plenty of happy customers in other platforms with the Spec clutches so we were pretty comfortable with this limited choice so far. We'll also be putting the Quaife LSD in it simultaneously.

I also recommend spec for this platform. But that is a biased recommendation cause they sponsored my build :wink:

Also the flywheel and clutch with pressure plate weigh less than the OEM dual mass flywheel

·
Vendor
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
damn those wheels are nice, get them mounted already! What's a set of those go for anyway?
The F14's go for $1360 shipped to the lower 48 on our site. If you are interested in them just send me a PM and let me know what specs you want.

By the way, our powder coated parts are ready for pick up and we will be getting those tomorrow. This means we will be able to finish up the turbo install getting the intake in and ready to fire her up and get her tuned.

·
Vendor
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
We just picked up the wheels, intake pipe, and rear sway bar from the powder coater on Tuesday. It's been snowy with highs in the teens for the last several days and isn't looking much better anytime soon so we won't get it cleaned up and on the road for a bit but we'll make sure to post up when we do. We have tires on the way as well. We went with BFGoodrich Rivals in 245/40-18.

You can see the different lighting effects with fluorescent. In the sun, they will blind you!

On the intake setup, we had the intake box coated wrinkle charcoal.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
i need a bright ass color like that on my car. and someone who powdercoats close to me that wont rip me off :/

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
You guys should really consider powdercoating in house, start up cost isn't bad and powder is cheap. Shops make a killing on powdercoating stuff, I just did my intercooler pipes and compressor housing $24 in powder (1lb wrinkle red, 1lb coal black) and have a ton of powder left vs. a shop would have charged me $150 or so for this. Just a thought, the process is so easy as well. It literally requires no set skill like painting, too easy!
Do you have any more info posted on this process somewhere? Or pics?

·
1,976 Posts
Do you have any more info posted on this process somewhere? Or pics?
It's really simple but I will go over the basics, you need a powder gun setup, cleaning agent, oven and powder of course. An old house hold oven will work but limited to what you can put into it. Clean the part with the cleaning agent, just a quick wipe down will do. Fill your powder gun with the color of choice, clamp the charging clamp to the part, spray the powder on. Be careful not to touch it, at this point it literally is just powder. Preheat your oven to 350 or so and insert part, bake for 15 minutes. Pull part out and hang to cool. If you would like to see the process just do a you tube search and it will show you everything I just spoke of.

Reactions: EdgeAutosport.com

·
Vendor
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Cut rim into eight pieces and enjoy your meal with your friends! :haha:
If its a rim you will need to cut it into 8 pieces to fit in the standard kitchen oven...

I would love to get setup to do in house powder coating and maybe that is something we will look into for the future, or at least maybe I will for a personal hobby :)

·
1,976 Posts
If its a rim you will need to cut it into 8 pieces to fit in the standard kitchen oven...

I would love to get setup to do in house powder coating and maybe that is something we will look into for the future, or at least maybe I will for a personal hobby :)
Yeah you could start out with an old kitchen oven and do smaller parts until you can upgrade to an industrial oven, etc. But they make good money on PC parts for sure, powder is cheap. And if don't have over head (like out of your garage) you will make even more.

Reactions: EdgeAutosport.com
21 - 40 of 876 Posts