Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
They both are turbo charged, have an ST badge and made by Ford.

Thats about it really. I'm in the grumpy camp that doesnt like the ST badge on non-car models. The Edge is not a hot hatch but I would say more of a continuation of what Ford previous called Sport. Dont get me wrong, i like that Ford is upping the HP for their other models but its not gonna be the same. You arent going to find a bunch of the Edge's on autocross/racing or being the darling of the car mags like the Fiesta and Focus. It's just Ford cashing in on the nameplate and marketing that is already out there for the ST. I understand why they are doing it, i just disagree.

·
Super Moderator
8,079 Posts
Is there really any comparison?
There is a comparison, yes.

The Edge ST is faster than a Focus ST stock vs stock.

Once tunes become available, the Edge ST will be faster than the Focus ST tuned with bolt ons vs tuned with bolt ons. Like most cars, we will probably pull on them between 40mph and 80mph due to weight alone...but by the looks of it, it won't be much.

Big turbo Focus ST? Yeah probably will beat it from a roll...but I don't know how much power they'll get out from the Edge ST's twins to throw a comparison

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
There is a comparison, yes.

The Edge ST is faster than a Focus ST stock vs stock.

Once tunes become available, the Edge ST will be faster than the Focus ST tuned with bolt ons vs tuned with bolt ons. Like most cars, we will probably pull on them between 40mph and 80mph due to weight alone...but by the looks of it, it won't be much.

Big turbo Focus ST? Yeah probably will beat it from a roll...but I don't know how much power they'll get out from the Edge ST's twins to throw a comparison
Yeah i will imagine they will beat us from a stand still all day in stock vs stock. So straight line performance they will beat us all day (I am pretty sure that was true of the last gen Sport too.) However, the ST's werent ever known for their blistering straight line performance, ST's were known for their fun factor; feeling quick and their ability to take turns while putting a smile on your face. Not sure I have seen any reviews of the Edge praising how well it handles the twisties; extra weight and higher center of gravity are against it there

·
Super Moderator
8,079 Posts
Yeah i will imagine they will beat us from a stand still all day in stock vs stock. So straight line performance they will beat us all day (I am pretty sure that was true of the last gen Sport too.) However, the ST's werent ever known for their blistering straight line performance, ST's were known for their fun factor; feeling quick and their ability to take turns while putting a smile on your face. Not sure I have seen any reviews of the Edge praising how well it handles the twisties; extra weight and higher center of gravity are against it there
From what I have heard, keeping the Explorer Sport in mind and how they are tuned suspension-wise pretty damn well for an SUV (remember, police officers are driving around in rebadged, gutted Explorer Sports) the Edge ST is even better suited for it than the Explorer so I'm willing to bet it isn't too bad. I'm positive we still have the edge (pun intended) in the twisties no doubt, but I honestly think in most situations it's a drivers race. Blows...because all this new stuff and new tech makes me wonder how awesome a 2020 revamp of the Focus ST or RS would be here in the states.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
straight light racing from soccer practice to band camp and I am sure the Edge will be faster.... whatever. didn't buy this car to roll race soccer moms or to drag stop lights

Put it into a corner and I can NOT imagine an Edge ST keeping up with a Focus ST if the same driver skill is behind the wheel.

It will be the day when an Edge shows up for an AutoX event and when it does it will have to be a very experienced driver to keep up on a course against a FoST with a even less experienced driver.

·
Super Moderator
8,079 Posts
straight light racing from soccer practice to band camp and I am sure the Edge will be faster.... whatever. didn't buy this car to roll race soccer moms or to drag stop lights

Put it into a corner and I can NOT imagine an Edge ST keeping up with a Focus ST if the same driver skill is behind the wheel.

It will be the day when an Edge shows up for an AutoX event and when it does it will have to be a very experienced driver to keep up on a course against a FoST with a even less experienced driver.
What class would that even fall under? Be interesting to say the least. I'd be very intrigued to see how they'd PAX it

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
What class would that even fall under? Be interesting to say the least. I'd be very intrigued to see how they'd PAX it
not really worried about class. just the time. the time it takes for the EDGE vs FOCUS to get around a course.

·
Super Moderator
8,079 Posts
not really worried about class. just the time. the time it takes for the EDGE vs FOCUS to get around a course.
Well yeah obviously, but if it gets around 4 seconds slower but the PAX time actually beats the Focus or something due to balancing out the classes people will get a little irritated. That's why I brought up class on the topic of AutoX. I beat a Porsche 911 my first ever autoX event according to PAX even if he beat me around the course by like 1.4s RAW time

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Well yeah obviously, but if it gets around 4 seconds slower but the PAX time actually beats the Focus or something due to balancing out the classes people will get a little irritated. That's why I brought up class on the topic of AutoX. I beat a Porsche 911 my first ever autoX event according to PAX even if he beat me around the course by like 1.4s RAW time
yeah I don't understand PAX, I mean raw time is the only thing that should and does matter. raw time is all I am worried about in this case. or to keep it simple just put them in the same class. oh well I am not really worried about it, it will be the day when I even see an Edge ST at a local event. I am sure someone in the 50 states will get out and autocross a Edge ST and hopefully there is a Focus ST at the event to show difference in times.

·
Super Moderator
8,079 Posts
yeah I don't understand PAX, I mean raw time is the only thing that should and does matter. raw time is all I am worried about in this case. or to keep it simple just put them in the same class. oh well I am not really worried about it, it will be the day when I even see an Edge ST at a local event. I am sure someone in the 50 states will get out and autocross a Edge ST and hopefully there is a Focus ST at the event to show difference in times.
I know one thing, as long as I never lose the mindset I have now, I'll never buy an SUV with "sporty" in mind. My ST could end up being the end of what has otherwise been my entire life growing up in a Ford family. Other than the Mustang of course...I'll have one of those eventually lol

If Subaru's didn't have the typical issues they have.. or the awful Honda-like stigma they now have.. or the severely limited ability to make decent jumps in power like we have.. I'd love an AWD WRX.

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
I've seen the Edge ST in person but haven't driven it yet to see how Ford set it up. It doesn't look interesting to me. Saying that though, I won a timed autocross race in a SRT8 Cherokee against the full SRT line up including SRT4's, SRT8's(Charger, 300, Challengers). I drove all those vehicles on that coarse and had the fasted time in the Jeep. Didn't get to drive the Viper on the autocross course. Could also drift that Jeep around the corners on the road coarse, All this was at Las Vegas Speedway. Although I'll stick to my Focus I have no doubt the Edge could be made fast everywhere.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts