Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be ordering pads & rotors in the next few weeks for my 13. I was just going to order the Motorcraft and replace with the OE stuff, minus the dust and initial cold bite in the morning they seem to do a good job.

Got to looking around a bit and was wondering if anyone had any experience with the green stuff pads. I don't expect they are any better then the stock pads but are they equal, worse?

The ST is my daily and the brakes don't get SUPER hard use. No track, spirited driving.

Sorry if it's a dumb question but I come from the TJ Wrangler world where Black Magic pads and Centric Premium rotors were king.

Thanks in advance

·
Administrator
11,913 Posts
I'll be ordering pads & rotors in the next few weeks for my 13. I was just going to order the Motorcraft and replace with the OE stuff, minus the dust and initial cold bite in the morning they seem to do a good job.

Got to looking around a bit and was wondering if anyone had any experience with the green stuff pads. I don't expect they are any better then the stock pads but are they equal, worse?

The ST is my daily and the brakes don't get SUPER hard use. No track, spirited driving.

Sorry if it's a dumb question but I come from the TJ Wrangler world where Black Magic pads and Centric Premium rotors were king.

Thanks in advance
Most people swap to Hawk HPS, and what are your goals with the car?

You have a '13, so you have the 12.6" rotors instead of the 13.1" rotors. Most people do a "OEM upgrade" to the larger rotors.

I hated the OEM pads, the cold bite and dust is terrible.

We really don't side too much with a rotor brand, I run EBC slotted, alot of people run either blanks or power slots.

Brake cooling can be an issue, so people like to go with the 13" upgrade and brake ducting if you do any kind of spirited mountain/canyon/track/aggressive commuting, lol.

·
Registered
63 Posts
i have EBC yellow. my car is daily no track no racing. only road.
the pads are worth to change. the give little more stopping power. no problems when they are cold (same power als OEM cold), and still more heat resistant than OEM.
for me worth to change them.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Honestly not 100% sure what my goals are at the moment. Probably just stage 3 & bolt ons. No big turbo or anything like that, for a long while anyway.

Only reason I was looking EBC greens with EBC blanks was I could have front & rear for about $250 shipped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Honestly not 100% sure what my goals are at the moment. Probably just stage 3 & bolt ons. No big turbo or anything like that, for a long while anyway.

Only reason I was looking EBC greens with EBC blanks was I could have front & rear for about $250 shipped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sending you a PM in a moment

Reactions: Moose_

·
Registered
738 Posts
EBC Greens for DD

Reactions: blanchimont

·
Registered
768 Posts
Haven't done it on the car yet, but I've had great luck with EBC pads on my truck. had green stuff 7000's that were literallly zero dust. Have Orange now (a new truck/jeep/towing compound they came out with I got to be a test for) and they are only ever so slightly more dust than the green. On a side note, I have not found the dust in my '16 stock pads to be unbearable by any means. Not enough to make me change pads early anyways...and I'm a pretty anal detailer that crap like that will usually drive me nuts.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I ended up going with the GreenStuff pads & EBC blanks, figured pads are easy enough to swap out if I'm disappointed.

Also grabbed some stainless lines from Mountune. Almost grabbed some Goodridge but figured out they weren't coated or sleeved.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Haven't done it on the car yet, but I've had great luck with EBC pads on my truck. had green stuff 7000's that were literallly zero dust. Have Orange now (a new truck/jeep/towing compound they came out with I got to be a test for) and they are only ever so slightly more dust than the green. On a side note, I have not found the dust in my '16 stock pads to be unbearable by any means. Not enough to make me change pads early anyways...and I'm a pretty anal detailer that crap like that will usually drive me nuts.

Haha you would hate my car haha... I wash the back of it to get the soot off once a month or so, and the rims with my stock replacement pads are disgusting, I would post a picture but you might die... I did just wash the hatch last night to get the soot off, almost forgot the car was red haha.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I'm the same way! I'm a once a weeker in the warmer weather. The dust of the stock pads sucked but if they preform well it's worth the once a week scrub.

·
Registered
768 Posts
What about red pads? As I mentioned earlier, I'm a huge EBC fan on my truck, so I just recently started researching car pads. The red ones are advertised as their lowest dust option and knowing the quality of their stuff, I'd have to guess they'll still outperform stock.

Which rotors did you end up going with? Setting aside the standard Internet forum debates over slotted and drilled, I LOVE a good looking rotor; especially behind nice wheels. Thought about swapping my rotors for EBC slotted and dimpled ones...unless I can convince Baer to come out with some EradiSpeed rotors for our cars!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
What about red pads? As I mentioned earlier, I'm a huge EBC fan on my truck, so I just recently started researching car pads. The red ones are advertised as their lowest dust option and knowing the quality of their stuff, I'd have to guess they'll still outperform stock.

Which rotors did you end up going with? Setting aside the standard Internet forum debates over slotted and drilled, I LOVE a good looking rotor; especially behind nice wheels. Thought about swapping my rotors for EBC slotted and dimpled ones...unless I can convince Baer to come out with some EradiSpeed rotors for our cars!
I just ended up going with the EBC greens on all 4 corners. The rotors I got are just blanks from EBC. I looked into the reds a little but for a spirited daily decided green was the way to go, plus greens were on sale.

I agree on the look of the rotors, I ended up putting the rest of my brake budget into stainless lines and some Motul 600.

The weathers been crap so it's all just been sitting in the garage waiting to get installed.

·
Administrator
11,913 Posts
I just ended up going with the EBC greens on all 4 corners. The rotors I got are just blanks from EBC. I looked into the reds a little but for a spirited daily decided green was the way to go, plus greens were on sale.

I agree on the look of the rotors, I ended up putting the rest of my brake budget into stainless lines and some Motul 600.

The weathers been crap so it's all just been sitting in the garage waiting to get installed.
https://www.lelandwest.com/brake-fluid-comparison-chart.cfm?startRow=1&SF=5&ST=2

There's better fluid for the money. Just sayin,

·
Administrator
11,913 Posts
I'm not a brake or fluid expert by any means but I'm pretty content with my choice.
The cars got about 56k on it & figured I'd flush it out while I'm doing brake work anyway.

What would you have gone with?
Whoops, that post wasn't for you. My apologies. I got lost in a browsing trance. Lmfao!!

Well anyway, enjoy the very nice brake fluid list, in case you ever want to track your car.

Currently your setup is great for a DD. It should serve you quite well!

·
Registered
768 Posts
Moose...how's the dust on the greens? I had the green 7000's on my truck and they all but literally zero dust. Probably the best pad I've ever had in that department. But, they are touted as such and I don't think the car green pads are.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Moose...how's the dust on the greens? I had the green 7000's on my truck and they all but literally zero dust. Probably the best pad I've ever had in that department. But, they are touted as such and I don't think the car green pads are.
I haven't had a chance to install yet, the weathers been too crappy, I'll update when I get them on and used for a week or 2

·
Registered
52 Posts
I just pulled the trigger on EBC slotted rotors and yellowstuff pads, as slowing down from Autobahn speeds in a hurry tends to ruin lesser pads. How is the dusting of the yellowstuff vs. OEM dusting on the 12.6 rotor package (I have an early 2014, so no upgraded brakes for me). Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I just pulled the trigger on EBC slotted rotors and yellowstuff pads, as slowing down from Autobahn speeds in a hurry tends to ruin lesser pads. How is the dusting of the yellowstuff vs. OEM dusting on the 12.6 rotor package (I have an early 2014, so no upgraded brakes for me). Thanks in advance.
I had EBC Yellows on a different car that I did a lot of spirited driving and autocrossing in. They dusted pretty bad when I had to make them work but for just daily driving they were okay.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts