Ford Focus ST Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Starts in Great Britain, Stops All Over The World
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I looked over the website and it's just not the info or details I'm looking for to make a decision, per my previous post, sorry.

I want graphs of individuals properties, with lines for each pad on the same graph - instead of having to switch between compounds with those ridiculous multi-property graphs.

I want to know the pad compound basic info in addition to suggested use.

If the pads are cheap enough, I may try yellow but would have to hit them with some black bbq paint first if any yellow would show installed on the top edges. The EBC does seem to have better reviews and value compared to Hawk, Akebono, and many others.

And I do think yellow would be closest to the stock ST pad versus a standard focus. Have you ever driven a ST with stock pads to see the feel, or just repeating info off the standard EBC material chart?!
Ford actually did a few things different on the ST, not just a trim package with a red logo.

No coating info relative to corrosion means I wouldn't consider EBC rotors, unless as cheap as better and similar looking options I can get at local stores without the shipping factor being a concern in case of any issue.

All I get out of "thermic black nitrotherm" is it's probably just a good quality black paint and I would rather have geomet coated.
Our own Fiesta St has our YellowStuff pads fitted to it at the moment and yes, We have driven it. EBC’s Ultimate Fiesta Build | Part 13: Fiesta ST vs 550bhp Nissan GT-R - YouTube

We cannot provide you directly with any further details than We have already supplied but if you do fancy trying a set of YellowStuff pads, let me know and We will see how We can help with this, We can't help with the BBQ paint though!!!

·
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Well seeing as that am about to embark on another one of my overly detailed projects that just happen to be about breaks I do have a question (or two).

Are there or could you provide any technical white papers regarding your suggested pad / rotor replacements vs their OEM equivalents?

And you mentioned a discount code. Will this code me more of a manufacturers codes valid with US based vendors or direct? The bulk of the membership in this forum is from the USDM. Considerations such as shipping, VAT, etc will come into play for these members.

Thanks.
J
We can offer you some pad info on our website, graphs shown at the bottom of each product page. Brake Pads Archives - EBC Brakes

As for our discount code, this can be used directly on our UK site or at our partners site in the USA. Details will be posted alongside the code when posted. Thanks

·
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Thanks to you all for a great first week on here, We hope to be able to assist more of you when you need us.:)(y)

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've been using EBC rotors for over 10 years on all our vehicles ranging from sporty to large SUV with zero problems. Some get plain rotors, some the USR slotted. I just bought the BSD slotted for my '18 FoST. For my applications, which have all been non-competition, I don't need the slots for hot gas dispersion. For me, the slots just help clear water, debris, or other contamination off the rotor and pad surfaces; may help maintain rotor and pad flatness; and add character to the rotors.

The black coating fades to grey over a period of years, but definitely slows rust development.

From what I can tell, all EBC rotors are made with G3000 iron. For the North American market, plain rotors are sent to the EBC facility in Los Vegas where slots and dimples are added to create the USR, BSD, or GD versions before shipment. My contacts with people at the Los Vegas facility have been great.

Rotor part numbers use an alpha prefix to indicate style and a numeric suffix that indicate application. AFAIK, all FoST rear rotors should have 1832 as the suffix, the 335 mm '14/'15+ front rotors have 7706 as the suffix, and the '13 front rotors have 1434 as the suffix. Rotor weight came in about 18.7 lb each front, 6.5 lb each rear.

I've found the Ultimax2 pads provide plenty of cold and warm bite for my DD applications with minimal dust, so I'll try them first on the FoST before moving to red or yellow (although I'd be happy to test these;)). Pad part numbering is more complicated across the entire range, although there appears to be some consistency in the last four numeric digits for the red, yellow, orange, and blue pads. The Ultimax2 part numbers (completely different from colored pad numbers) are UD1095 for the rear and UD1668 for the 335 mm rotor front (possibly same for '13 front?). Yes, the larger front pads were cheaper than the rears...

EBC Brake Pads Ultimax2 UD1668 UD1095.jpg

·
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I've been using EBC rotors for over 10 years on all our vehicles ranging from sporty to large SUV with zero problems. Some get plain rotors, some the USR slotted. I just bought the BSD slotted for my '18 FoST. For my applications, which have all been non-competition, I don't need the slots for hot gas dispersion. For me, the slots just help clear water, debris, or other contamination off the rotor and pad surfaces; may help maintain rotor and pad flatness; and add character to the rotors.

The black coating fades to grey over a period of years, but definitely slows rust development.

From what I can tell, all EBC rotors are made with G3000 iron. For the North American market, plain rotors are sent to the EBC facility in Los Vegas where slots and dimples are added to create the USR, BSD, or GD versions before shipment. My contacts with people at the Los Vegas facility have been great.

Rotor part numbers use an alpha prefix to indicate style and a numeric suffix that indicate application. AFAIK, all FoST rear rotors should have 1832 as the suffix, the 335 mm '14/'15+ front rotors have 7706 as the suffix, and the '13 front rotors have 1434 as the suffix. Rotor weight came in about 18.7 lb each front, 6.5 lb each rear.

I've found the Ultimax2 pads provide plenty of cold and warm bite for my DD applications with minimal dust, so I'll try them first on the FoST before moving to red or yellow (although I'd be happy to test these;)). Pad part numbering is more complicated across the entire range, although there appears to be some consistency in the last four numeric digits for the red, yellow, orange, and blue pads. The Ultimax2 part numbers (completely different from colored pad numbers) are UD1095 for the rear and UD1668 for the 335 mm rotor front (possibly same for '13 front?). Yes, the larger front pads were cheaper than the rears...

View attachment 389901

View attachment 389902

View attachment 389903
Thanks for the feedback, very detailed. Hopefully you will be entering the pads giveaway and see if you can win those YellowStuff pads, if not you can always use the forum discount code..... Good Luck

·
Registered
2016 ST2, Absolute Black, Turbosmart BPV, Dual OCCs, Innovative RMM, JBR Intake & SS Arm, 245/40R18
994 Posts
How about a head to head comparison with other brand products for the most popular pad options?

Like hawk _ or others vs ebc _, and why ebc should be preferred?

·
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Comparisons like this are not always reliable' and having seen many online, it does not give a fair comparison and is not something most companies do directly against each other. You can click on each of our pad types on this link and at the bottom of each page you will find a graph showing the performance Brake Pads Archives - EBC Brakes
What pads do you currently use and what style of driving do you have?

·
Registered
2016 ST2, Absolute Black, Turbosmart BPV, Dual OCCs, Innovative RMM, JBR Intake & SS Arm, 245/40R18
994 Posts
First, I again appreciate EBC sponsoring the forum and making the effort to engage with enthusiasts. Also appreciate the contests and swag giveaways. I have more brand awareness as a result and learned some good info. Overall, I will be more likely to consider EBC for future purchases. I also feel compelled to provide candid feedback.

Sorry, but I'm calling BS on the Marketing/Sales info part of all this. Whether it's other consumables like oil or tires, enthusiasts and technical folk want actual NUMBERS and COMPARISONS of different products. Preferably on standardized tests, but at least on the same controlled setup.

I just spent some time browsing EBC and several other aftermarket brake websites, and all seem similar and lacking. They want to claim superior products, great lab and test programs, have some type of product advisor based on usage or concern, etc. I do like a number of things slightly better with the EBC site compared to others.

I somewhat understand each business has it's own peculiarities, practices, and taboos, but feel it's foolish to not attempt to be a leader in providing more comparative numbers information. With the lack of this type of info, it leaves it up to individuals internet searching comparisons of this vs that, and just word of mouth basically. All of which is less controlled and even more subjective in many cases than if the company provided better info in the first place.

I hope my perspective and opinions will help with future planning etc. Respectfully offered and submitted.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts