Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into lowering springs for my ST3. It was built on January 3, 2013. I'm looking for a set of springs that work well with the stock struts, which brought me to the Eibach Pro-Kit. There are 2 versions, pre 2/2/13 build date, that lowers 1.0"F/1.2"R. And the post 2/4/13 build date that lowers 1.0"F/R. I know the spring perches changed at the above date.

But my questions are;
I'm looking for a spring that lowers evenly front and rear. I don't want to loose the stock rake, as I do use my car to haul both people, stuff, and soon a kid. Is this 1/4" between the early and late spring set noticeable once installed & settled?
Or is there another modification to keep the drop even front to back?
Or possibly other lowering options that have an even drop?

The other point is that I HATE the uneven wheel gap when the rear lowers more than the front...

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
Pro kit on stock strut. Only issue is no lowering spring works well with stock struts. Change them when you lower. Mine lasted 7000 miles on the prokit. There is only one set for 13 and early 14 models. Part # 35140.140. The perch changed mid 14. Tire rack has the info screwed up.

IMG_20140317_085238_054.jpg

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pro kit on stock strut. Only issue is no lowering spring works well with stock struts. Change them when you lower. Mine lasted 7000 miles on the prokit. There is only one set for 13 and early 14 models. Part # 35140.140. The perch changed mid 14. Tire rack has the info screwed up.
Ah, ok. Thanks for the clarification. There was a bit of conflicting info out there, and I thought I had sifted through it all, but I guess I was wrong on some points.

I'm not trying to question your experiences; but I've read that the pro-kit is "safe" for stock shocks, while the lower sportline increases wear to excessive amounts (all under the understanding that any lowered spring will wear a strut/shock out faster than original equipment. With this being said, I come from the euro world, and have never experienced a stock shock that couldn't handle a lowering spring, hence why I'm asking). I've also read that once you hit the 1.5" drop, it's hard to get the alignment back into spec without parts that allow for further adjustment. Is this true?

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
Ah, ok. Thanks for the clarification. There was a bit of conflicting info out there, and I thought I had sifted through it all, but I guess I was wrong on some points.

I'm not trying to question your experiences; but I've read that the pro-kit is "safe" for stock shocks, while the lower sportline increases wear to excessive amounts (all under the understanding that any lowered spring will wear a strut/shock out faster than original equipment. With this being said, I come from the euro world, and have never experienced a stock shock that couldn't handle a lowering spring, hence why I'm asking). I've also read that once you hit the 1.5" drop, it's hard to get the alignment back into spec without parts that allow for further adjustment. Is this true?
Yes when you lower anything more than 1.5 camber goes out of spec. With the prokit it'll put camber around 1.5-1.7 in the front and 2.0-2.2 in the rear. caster has to do with how you mount the top hat. There is a tab on the hat that has to be lined up with the rear of the strut or it throws caster out. These stock strut just dont like lowering springs. A lot of guys had issues with them blowing quick even on the prokit. Save yourself the time and just do it once.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes when you lower anything more than 1.5 camber goes out of spec. With the prokit it'll put camber around 1.5-1.7 in the front and 2.0-2.2 in the rear. caster has to do with how you mount the top hat. There is a tab on the hat that has to be lined up with the rear of the strut or it throws caster out. These stock strut just dont like lowering springs. A lot of guys had issues with them blowing quick even on the prokit. Save yourself the time and just do it once.
Is there a strut / shock that is cheaper than the Bilstein's?

·
Registered
5,568 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The mountune kit is the cheapest option. It's not really cheaper but will save you the headache of having to swap tophats and remount. It is already assembled and ready to put in. The springs are made by eibach and are really close to a prokit. Personally i think it's a rebranded prokit

mountune Clubsport Suspension Upgrade - Focus ST 2013-2017, 2363-CSU-AA
Awesome! Thanks for the info. This is exactly what I was looking for, I kept searching "Focus ST cup kit" (as that's what I'm used to referring to a matched strut/shock & spring combo).

My only question about this setup is; it advertises that it fits 2013+ but gives the rear drop as 1.4". I know the 13 uses a different perch in the rear, will this club sport suspension lower the rear of my 13 the advertised 1.4"? Or less like most advertised lowering options?

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
Awesome! Thanks for the info. This is exactly what I was looking for, I kept searching "Focus ST cup kit" (as that's what I'm used to referring to a matched strut/shock & spring combo).

My only question about this setup is; it advertises that it fits 2013+ but gives the rear drop as 1.4". I know the 13 uses a different perch in the rear, will this club sport suspension lower the rear of my 13 the advertised 1.4"? Or less like most advertised lowering options?
No the two I've installed lower the car just like mine in the pick. I ended up putting bilstiens in and it still had rake. The rear perch is the same for all years. 13 suspension will work in all years. The perch changed in the front in mid 14 along with larger rotor. That is the only change.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts