Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been searching and haven't found an exact answer to what I'm asking. I have a friend that mixes 2 gallons of methanol to a full tank of 93 in his Speed3. The closest E85 pump is 2.5 hours from me, so it's not really much of an option. Does anyone on here run methanol in tank instead of WMI?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I figure I should update this seeing that I got an answer to the question. After asking the question on Facebook, Justin from Freektune offered his advice and said there are some, if not a handful of FoST owners that run methanol mixed with 93 in tank. From what I gathered, you basically achieve the same target octane rating, E30, with mixing either E85 or methanol, so it ends up being up to the owner what they choose to mix with pump gas. I ended up finding an E85 pump about an hour closer to me than the one I had previously mapped out, so I purchased my E30 flash tune from Stratified, and a VP Racing jug, then went and got 5 gallons of E85. So far I've mixed one gallon of E85 with 3 gallons of 93 and flashed the E30 tune and I'm extremely satisfied.

·
Premium Member
3,712 Posts
Is it safe to run E30 tune as daily driving ???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah it's safe, but you get worse gas mileage. Not only naturally do you get worse gas mileage, but you'll be getting into the throttle more because it is fun therefore getting really bad mpg's lol.

Reactions: brokestatus

·
Premium Member
3,712 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Nice I'm go with freektune E30 91/E85 bc it's a custom tune with data logs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
979 Posts
Gotta mix 3 gallons e85 to 12 gallons of 93 for the proper mixture, choose the map and enjoy. Ive been running it for a while, very addicting power increase.

Reactions: Mjf101471

·
Registered
660 Posts
SAFE is a relative term. Running E30 and a tune makes more power. If you're making more power than stock, you're most likely shortening the life of parts involved in making said power. People always love to jump on this and say stuff like "derp I been running stage3 big turbo for 3 years and my $hiz is runnin awesome" but reality is always as simple as - as soon as you start to mod your car to make more power, you just signed up to spend more money on the other things that are going to break more often.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Im daily driving on an e30 freektune, no complaints and gas mileage isnt that much worse if you stay out of boost.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Gotta mix 3 gallons e85 to 12 gallons of 93 for the proper mixture, choose the map and enjoy. Ive been running it for a while, very addicting power increase.
This isn't correct. First, the tank doesn't hold 15 gallons, it holds 12.4. Also, about 2 gallons of that is reserve, so you'll only ever fill around 10 gallons or just over, which doesn't change the calculations, but makes fill ups easier which I'll explain later.

Now this is where everyone seems to overcomplicate things. When you want to switch from 93 to E30, you don't need to run it empty, you just need enough room to fill enough E85 to hit E30, then top off with 93, and that number is about 4 gallons for the first fill up.

Some math to validate, assuming you're getting full 85% ethanol E85 and about 5% ethanol 93:

4 gallons x 0.85 = 3.4 gallons of ethanol
8 gallons (of 93 for a full tank) x 0.05 = 0.4 gallons of ethanol
Total ethanol: 3.8 gallons

3.8 gallons ethanol / 12.4 gallons total = 0.3065 or just about dead on E30.

After that, just fill 2:1 93 to E85:

1 gallon E85 * 0.85 = ... 0.85g E (0.15g unleaded)
2 gallons * .05 (E in 93) = 0.1g E (1.9g unleaded)
For a total of 0.95g E, 2.05g unleaded
And finally, .95g (E) / 3g (total) = 0.3167 or E32 rounded (Fill up just a little bit more 93 than E85 if you are concerned about that 2% increasing over time)

No need for any kind of calculator app. The fact that 2 gallons are reserve and the gauge measures roughly 10 gallons makes things REALLY simple. I typically just fill up at a quarter of a tank, so you can fit 7.5 gallons, so add 2.5 gallons E85, then 5 gallons 93. You aren't going to fill it to the brim every time, but you'll be close enough without having to do calculations at the pump. One thing to note, ethanol mixes well with gasoline, but if you do an initial fill with my method above, I get back in, start it up, then change my map, then stay out of boost for a little bit while I let it mix up. It should do so pretty quickly as you drive.

And the only time you need to drive to empty is switching from E30 to 93. Even then, you don't need to drive to fumes, just to close to E. The car can handle up to, I believe it was E15 with normal fueling.

And yeah, I daily drive E30 in mine because I'm lucky enough to have two E85 stations within a mile in either direction of my house and work. I tested them out to be about 83% ethanol, so that makes my 2:1 mix pretty dead on that E30 mark.

Hopefully that makes things a little easier!

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,172 Posts
This isn't correct. First, the tank doesn't hold 15 gallons, it holds 12.4. Also, about 2 gallons of that is reserve, so you'll only ever fill around 10 gallons or just over, which doesn't change the calculations, but makes fill ups easier which I'll explain later.

Now this is where everyone seems to overcomplicate things. When you want to switch from 93 to E30, you don't need to run it empty, you just need enough room to fill enough E85 to hit E30, then top off with 93, and that number is about 4 gallons for the first fill up.

Some math to validate, assuming you're getting full 85% ethanol E85 and about 5% ethanol 93:

4 gallons x 0.85 = 3.4 gallons of ethanol
8 gallons (of 93 for a full tank) x 0.05 = 0.4 gallons of ethanol
Total ethanol: 3.8 gallons

3.8 gallons ethanol / 12.4 gallons total = 0.3065 or just about dead on E30.

After that, just fill 2:1 93 to E85:

1 gallon E85 * 0.85 = ... 0.85g E (0.15g unleaded)
2 gallons * .05 (E in 93) = 0.1g E (1.9g unleaded)
For a total of 0.95g E, 2.05g unleaded
And finally, .95g (E) / 3g (total) = 0.3167 or E32 rounded (Fill up just a little bit more 93 than E85 if you are concerned about that 2% increasing over time)

No need for any kind of calculator app. The fact that 2 gallons are reserve and the gauge measures roughly 10 gallons makes things REALLY simple. I typically just fill up at a quarter of a tank, so you can fit 7.5 gallons, so add 2.5 gallons E85, then 5 gallons 93. You aren't going to fill it to the brim every time, but you'll be close enough without having to do calculations at the pump.

And the only time you need to drive to empty is switching from E30 to 93. Even then, you don't need to drive to fumes, just to close to E. The car can handle up to, I believe it was E15 with normal fueling.

And yeah, I daily drive E30 in mine because I'm lucky enough to have two E85 stations within a mile in either direction of my house and work. I tested them out to be about 83% ethanol, so that makes my 2:1 mix pretty dead on that E30 mark.

Hopefully that makes things a little easier!
Yeah on an "EMPTY" car (below 25 miles remaining in tank) it usually takes 10.5 to 10.9 gallons to fill the car. So I agree that 3 + 12 is DEFINITELY not possible.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Yea mistyped, flame me. 3 to 3.5 gallons e85 then rest is 93.

·
Registered
134 Posts
No offense intended, my point was more to the amount to put in than the total. I just want to make sure the right info is out there so no one messes up their car. Plus I've been meaning to write that down for a while since I keep seeing everyone say "run your car to E to switch to E30" which is silly and pointless.

And the number is still 4 gallons like I showed, not 3 to 3.5, at least assuming you want to run E30.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,172 Posts
You weren't flamed my man, unless there was a part I missed in @soonercanes message neither of us flamed you. It was just a time someone misspoke, happens often. No issue

Edit: This topic could potentially damage motors so a simple little error like that could do some damage, hence why we commented at all.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Let me have my victim mentality damn it! lol makes me hungry for corn now. (diverting to the e station)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Just remember that the numbers can be skewed by the ethanol content of the 93 octane gas. "May contain up to 10% of Ethanol". If you've been running 93 that has the full 10%, then you'll need around 3.3 gallons of corn juice for the first fill up.

·
Premium Member
3,712 Posts
So here is a question for ya, what about E54? AZ is switching/switched over to E54, how would you blend that?

EDIT: Also called Flex Fuel from what I've seen.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Just remember that the numbers can be skewed by the ethanol content of the 93 octane gas. "May contain up to 10% of Ethanol". If you've been running 93 that has the full 10%, then you'll need around 3.3 gallons of corn juice for the first fill up.
Yeah, that's true, I measured out about 5% in the 93 a while back, but I should check again. That actually makes a bigger difference in the equation than I expected. 3.3 is right on for 93 with 10% E.

And I realize I made an every so slight omission in my former math which says that technically it would be about 3.85 G of E85 for a first fill, so I'll actually give it to @JoshCrane1 for the 3.5, that's actually a fairly safe bet unless you know exactly how much ethanol is in the 93.

So here is a question for ya, what about E54? AZ is switching/switched over to E54, how would you blend that?

EDIT: Also called Flex Fuel from what I've seen.
Switching to calculating for 93 with 7.5% to be a middle ground, you'd need about 6 gallons of E54 for your first fill up. If you're closer to 5% in your 93 you'd pretty much dead on 50/50.

·
Registered
122 Posts
For every 1 gallon of 93 octane, add 1/3 gallon of e85. This will be net you around E30 mix at 96 octane. Most pump gas of any octane rating will have very close to 10 percent ethanol, especially in hotter climate or season. Monitoring your long term fuel trim is a round about way to model your approximate ethanol content.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts