Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I just hit 25000. As you can see in this pic. What you can also see in this pic is 10.6 MPG. I am running a Stratified E30 tune with FBO. No matter how much I baby it, I can't get over 11 MPG. Is this normal on a E30 tune? Anyone else run this tune and get poor MPG like this. I have combo tune, 91/e30. When I run 91 on the 91 tune, I do get upper 20s even with some aggressive driving from time to time. Just the e30 tune on e30 gets poor mpg. And I test the fuel and mix properly.

Car Vehicle Personal luxury car Auto part Electronic device

·
Registered
15 TB Focus ST3
696 Posts
I am pretty heavy footed on a jst e30 tune and get about 19mpg. If I reset amd were trying to baby I'd imagine getting 23.

This is rather low tbh.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett GTX2860R Gen 2. FBO
5,348 Posts
Just like every other MPG related topic, your commute, driving style, outside temps, etc etc will determine mpg.

That said, my edge e30 tune on the powermax would get around 24 in the heat and 22 when it got cold. I drive almost 100% highway though.

·
Administrator
13,320 Posts
I would get about 16 mpg on E30 spanking on it, 24 hwy iirc or I've totally forgotten, lol.

I get about 10 mpg on E85 in the Schtangarang romping, 18 hwy.

·
Super Moderator
1,765 Posts
How well are you certain your mix is E30? Are you testing E content each time? I'm heavy on boost, using Stratified High Torque E30 mod with 93 octane mix and getting 19.5mpg avg.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How well are you certain your mix is E30? Are you testing E content each time? I'm heavy on boost, using Stratified High Torque E30 mod with 93 octane mix and getting 19.5mpg avg.
I have been testing ethanol content and 91 ethanol content and using the e30 calculator everytime I have fueled last 4 tanks. Just because I have been getting such poor mpg. Ever since I switched over to E30, I have been getting this mpg. I work 1.5 miles from home, with 2 stops signs on the way. Other than that, mostly highway.

·
Super Moderator
1,765 Posts
I have been testing ethanol content and 91 ethanol content and using the e30 calculator everytime I have fueled last 4 tanks. Just because I have been getting such poor mpg. Ever since I switched over to E30, I have been getting this mpg. I work 1.5 miles from home, with 2 stops signs on the way. Other than that, mostly highway.
Have you done any revisions with your tune? Just curious what values would be coming back for the fuel trims - just seems awfully low.

Are you getting any other oddities like heavy negative corrections, or not hitting high boost?

Also, what kind of E content are you seeing in your E85 and 91 octane?

·
Registered
525 Posts
I only got 2-3 mpg less, so 19-20 mpg on Strats E30. Something is not right, way too much E%?

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Have you done any revisions with your tune? Just curious what values would be coming back for the fuel trims - just seems awfully low.

Are you getting any other oddities like heavy negative corrections, or not hitting high boost?

Also, what kind of E content are you seeing in your E85 and 91 octane?
E content is 10 on the 91, and always 80 to 84 on the e85. Never negative corrections. Hits about 22-23 boost when I get on it.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I get 24 mpg on full E85 with a G25-550 and 4 port auxiliary fuel. That’s mostly driving a highway commute 120 daily. I hit 28+ psi a couple times each way. My tuner just check logs for a map he did for cruse economy and it’s all good. Just changed the trims for light throttle cruse around 75 mph. Full performance is still there. That tune is returning 27.777 mpg on E85.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Ford Focus ST1
1,562 Posts
Silly question, but are you letting it warm up any prior to driving to/from work, or are you just hopping in, turning it on, and heading out? Reason I ask is because it takes the car a little bit to warm up the O2 sensor and start using it for AFR readings. For me, it usually takes a mile or so before I notice the AFR stabilizing while cruising in the morning.
Wonder if it's just the computer running it REALLY rich for most of your commute and it's killing your mileage average. E30 doesn't burn as hot as gasoline either, if I remember correctly, so it could take longer to heat up the O2 sensor.

·
Super Moderator
2,239 Posts
Take a log, be sure to include AFR, burn down the tank and go back to a 91 tune or stock, see if the issue still exists.

Need to see if the issue is the tune or if its the car.

·
Super Moderator
2,239 Posts
Logs would be good. He did say on standard fuel it was fine. This would leave me to believe that Stratified should also examine the logging to identify a potential issue.
ahh missed that, yeah then i would definitely reach out to strat if the issue only happens on the e30 tune, sounds like its not a mechanical failure.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
yeah thats too low... even when trying to get terrible mpg i havent seen it that low. I did a half a day of roll racing on E40 at around 400hp and still returned like 17mpg.

The car has to be just dumping fuel to get that low. Any symptoms like super rich AFR's, dark exhaust, fouled plugs..can you smell fuel lol?

·
Premium Member
750 Posts
So I just hit 25000. As you can see in this pic. What you can also see in this pic is 10.6 MPG. I am running a Stratified E30 tune with FBO. No matter how much I baby it, I can't get over 11 MPG. Is this normal on a E30 tune? Anyone else run this tune and get poor MPG like this. I have combo tune, 91/e30. When I run 91 on the 91 tune, I do get upper 20s even with some aggressive driving from time to time. Just the e30 tune on e30 gets poor mpg. And I test the fuel and mix properly.

View attachment 398074
Why don’t you disconnect your negative battery terminal, then do it again, I did this once when I was hitting low 15mpg, it did the trick for me

1 - 20 of 53 Posts