Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I hope this title didn't get anyone too excited for a video I just couldn't think of a better one.

That being said I have a stock 2013 ST with a Stratified e30 tune on the way. My buddy has a bone stock manual 2016 Nismo.

From a roll, how would I stack up? I plan on doing a video soon but want to know if anyone can chime in.

I'm assuming from a dig I would be SOL but after doing research it seems like the new 2016 is the slowest generation of the Z so far. I've seen some videos of a 93 tune ST gapping a 2012 370Z which was one of the faster years. Opinions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome video thank you! Can imagine how much better the ST would do with an e30 blend

·
Registered
979 Posts
Awesome video thank you! Can imagine how much better the ST would do with an e30 blend

Its a very noticeable power increase.

Reactions: Mbiro594

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its a very noticeable power increase.
Do you currently run e30? Have you had an opportunity to race a 370z? I know a lot of it depends on driver etc but just want some real life experiences.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dam great videos, thanks a lot guys definitely answered my question. Will post up a video soon once I get my e30 map in. Keep the information/videos coming if there are more, love seeing this stuff.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
The Z's have a quick 0-60 but aren't their 1/4 still in the mid 13's? That isn't very impressive to me for a RWD 300+ hp car.. a tuned stage 3 ST can make it a drivers race I'm sure.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Z's have a quick 0-60 but aren't their 1/4 still in the mid 13's? That isn't very impressive to me for a RWD 300+ hp car.. a tuned stage 3 ST can make it a drivers race I'm sure.
And for whatever reason they have gotten progressively slower over the years, the 2010-2012 Zs are 4.6 0-60mph, the new 2016 370Z is 5.1 and I'm assuming that's with an automatic. So I know it's slower for the manual.

·
Registered
26 Posts
From a 40 roll, you will pull on them pretty hard. I was surprised when I pulled on one so easily, on pump gas. I'm sure in a drag race, they would probably jump out ahead and hold the lead for the most part, but otherwise, you are going to surprise them.

Reactions: Mbiro594

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
And for whatever reason they have gotten progressively slower over the years, the 2010-2012 Zs are 4.6 0-60mph, the new 2016 370Z is 5.1 and I'm assuming that's with an automatic. So I know it's slower for the manual.

From a 40 roll, you will pull on them pretty hard. I was surprised when I pulled on one so easily, on pump gas. I'm sure in a drag race, they would probably jump out ahead and hold the lead for the most part, but otherwise, you are going to surprise them.
Our car is certainly one that surprises a LOT of vehicles on the road. Our insane amount of torque makes us roll monsters against much more powerful cars. I certainly think if you know what you're doing and you shift at the proper points ( 5500 or so) you can put in work against them. Especially if THEIR car is a manual and they don't know what their doing as well (driver mod and such)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Our car is certainly one that surprises a LOT of vehicles on the road. Our insane amount of torque makes us roll monsters against much more powerful cars. I certainly think if you know what you're doing and you shift at the proper points ( 5500 or so) you can put in work against them. Especially if THEIR car is a manual and they don't know what their doing as well (driver mod and such)
Question is it better on our cars to shift at 5500 rather than 6-6500(redline). I have been driving manual supercharged or NA mustangs my entire life and this is my first turbo. I can drive well but am unsure on the shift point as you stated.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I can agree with this. With just my 93 stratified tune I've been able to pull on an older evo, WRX STI and a Mazda 3speed with ease. Was actually surprised with how big of a gap there was, gave them a few runs for the benefit of a misshift but same results.

Love that this car surprises so many people, my buddy keeps laughing and joking about his Z vs my car. I'm staying quiet, I'll let the roll do the taking lol.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Question is it better on our cars to shift at 5500 rather than 6-6500(redline). I have been driving manual supercharged or NA mustangs my entire life and this is my first turbo. I can drive well but am unsure on the shift point as you stated.

Our power peaks at like 55-5800 rpm usually so the general consensus I believe is to shift there and not after 6k because you'll actually be going slower than if you just shifted into the next gear back into the power. Don't forget stratified tunes enable Flat-Foot-Shifting if you asked for it...it's AMAZING. And DEFINITELY makes a difference staying in boost mid-shift

Edit: This is perfect for you- http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-drag-racing/61913-shift-points.html

He even was using an Ethanol tune

There is another thread somewhere with an actual chart someone made showing where the power peaks at each gear and what shift points are recommended by gear. Each one is slightly different but all within that range.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Never tried flat foot shifting, always made me nervous thinking about it. Has it been proven to be safe and reliable?

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
The Z's are heavier than the Focus and they make 250 lbft tuned. They are slow that's a given. Of course your Focus is going to pull on them with 150 lbft more and lighter. Tq wins races not HP. Go put 15 pounds of boost on the stock block Z and the ball game changes. My good friend Sebastian owns Specialty Z and I've seen crazy HP cars come out of there.

Speciality-Z_1.jpg

·
Registered
979 Posts
Never tried flat foot shifting, always made me nervous thinking about it. Has it been proven to be safe and reliable?

Yes I run E30 strat tune,haven't lined up with a Z that wanted to play yet. Flat food shifting is where it's at, ran with another ST without and every gear change I jumped half a car length on him. Gotta have it in the tune though or bad things, referenced around here as FFS.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes I run E30 strat tune,haven't lined up with a Z that wanted to play yet. Flat food shifting is where it's at, ran with another ST without and every gear change I jumped half a car length on him. Gotta have it in the tune though or bad things, referenced around here as FFS.
How do you enable it on the AP?

1 - 20 of 69 Posts