Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright I'll start by saying this is my first post on the forum, so let me know if I'm doing anything wrong.

I have an upgraded intercooler on its way, and once I get that installed I will be full stage 3 bolt on. I figure the next step will be a good tune, I have been thinking Stratified but haven't decided for sure yet. However, I live in a pretty rural area and don't have much 91 octane or higher fuel around. My town has straight 87 octane, E10 87 octane, and E85. Because I have no premium fuel close, it seems my only option is an E30 mix. I know most people on this forum and for other vehicles too mix 91 or 93 with E85 to get E30, but since I don't have that available, would mixing E85 and either version of the 87 fuel work? Below I have attached a bunch of calculations based on different types of fuel, and I know that I will be getting a far lower octane mixing 87 with E85. So my next question is, take Stratified's (or any other tuner for that matter) E30 flash tune, what octane are they usually looking for in the tune. The ethanol percentage might be (roughly) the same for each of the top 4 fuel mixtures, but the octane varies wildly, and it seems like it could be very unsafe to use a lower octane mix if the tune is expecting at least, say 95 octane. So then I got to thinking, what if I run a higher ethanol mixture? That should bump octane up. So the bottom 4 fuel mixtures are the two types of 87 I have, mixed at both E40 and E50. Now, this definitely helps the octane numbers, but I'm not sure if I could even run this high of ethanol on the stock turbo. I have seen some big turbo cars run higher ethanol blends, but never on the stock turbo. So my next question, would it be possible to run E40 or E50 on the stock turbo, and if so, I'm assuming I'd need a custom tune for it? Would I have to get a WMI system to bump the octane a little as well if the E40 or E50 doesn't work? Continuing on, I'm planning on going big turbo someday if possible, right now I'm planning on building the engine and putting a GTX2971R on, so would I be able to run the E30 or E40 or E50 on the big turbo if I got it to work on the stock turbo? Would I need the Stratified 2 port aux fuel system or a similar aux fuel system to run ethanol that high?

Hopefully that's not too many questions for one post, but I don't know how to break it up without explaining everything again anyway.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
If you go for a custom tune with any of the tuners, they should be able to maximize your power with what fuel you have available and for a given ethanol mix. After a few revisions, you should end up with an E tune that is better than just running plain 87 octane. I would also suggest tuning for 87 as a second fuel, just so you can go back if you aren't near e85.

I would reach out to the tuners and see what percent ethanol they suggest for your 87 mix, go from there

1 - 2 of 2 Posts