Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question for those of you that have aftermarket Subs and Dynamatted. I picked up 36 square feet of Dynamat Xtreme and did the deck lid, floor pan, and all of the door skins. That was the end of the Dynamat. When I pulled the quarter panel trim pieces off, I noticed there was some insulation type material back there that was pretty dense. So I skipped that area. That leads me to my questions.

1. Thoughts on whether or not I should pull the insulation off apply the Dynamat and then reapply?

2. Other than the areas I have done so far comma has anyone had good luck targeting a specific area that got them the most noise reduction? The vibrations and rattles are taking care of comma now I just want to reduce the road noise.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Cover entire trunk area, 100% coverage with CCF and MLV. All the trunk floor and wheel well area. If you want to remove the seats, and center console you can do the same for the floor.

Dynamat Xtreme or similar material only need a 25% coverage for the entire panel. So be strategic, and just use a "knuckle," test rapping on the metal, apply and see if it's deadened.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have 108 SqFt of Stinger Roadkill in my car. Everything is covered except the roof: doors, under the carpet, entire hatch. It sounds nice to have a solid "thud" when the door closes.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I will be covering everything when I need to pull panels out of my car for whatever reason. I want it to be damn near silent in the cab.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Pull back that ****ty OEM foam, and slap some under it for sure. While you are at it just do the MLV and get some quality stuff. The focus was NOT built with quietness in mind and their OEM attempts are a joke.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Pull back that ****ty OEM foam, and slap some under it for sure. While you are at it just do the MLV and get some quality stuff. The focus was NOT built with quietness in mind and their OEM attempts are a joke.
I don't know about that, mine is very quiet on the inside. Maybe thats just by comparison though, my other vehicle is a supercharged V8 with longtube headers and no cats.

OP, see about doing the roof also. When in doubt, cover every surface you can. Sound deadening is cheap compared to the improvements it makes in quietness/reduced rattles.

Reactions: LockeLamora33

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I don't know about that, mine is very quiet on the inside. Maybe thats just by comparison though, my other vehicle is a supercharged V8 with longtube headers and no cats.

OP, see about doing the roof also. When in doubt, cover every surface you can. Sound deadening is cheap compared to the improvements it makes in quietness/reduced rattles.
LOL yeah I think it's in comparison. When compared to a "nice" or mid-lux to lux car though it's loud. Not bad for a regular economy, and to be honest the extra cost of the ST didn't go to sound proofing, it went to making the car fun as hell, so Im not really complaining.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess I get confused on dynamat vs the other options. I know dynamat is a sound deadener, but then there is the dynapad and roadkill, etc. At this point, rattles are gone, I am just going for a quiet interior. I read that some of the sound barriers can absorb the interior sound, so obviously I'd want to avoid that.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I guess I get confused on dynamat vs the other options. I know dynamat is a sound deadener, but then there is the dynapad and roadkill, etc. At this point, rattles are gone, I am just going for a quiet interior. I read that some of the sound barriers can absorb the interior sound, so obviously I'd want to avoid that.
So the dynamat/roadkill etc.. is all the same thing. Once you have the rattles down, the next step is some MLV(mass loaded vinyl) and closed cell foam (ccf) The MLV and CCF stop the extra road noise, which the dynamat doesn't really address. Wheel wells, and the trunk area are the biggest areas to address (you can't do it to the windows) and where you should focus those. However doors/floor etc should be covered too since the sound will come in where it finds a hole.

Check out this site, many people claim it to be the best out there to explain some of this stuff: https://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

1 - 9 of 9 Posts