Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I did all the research to build my own coil pack adapters so my aux fuel kit would be plug and play. I hate cutting into wiring harnesses unless there is not other option and I knew there was.

Here is the list of parts that you'll need

Male Connector Body - Need 4
TE Connectivity 1-1718644-1

Male Connectors.jpg

Female Connector Body - Need 4
TE Connectivity 1-1703494-1

Female Connectors.jpg

Male Tab Contact - Need 12
TE Connectivity 1452659-3

Male Tab Contact.jpg

Female Tab Contact - Need 12
TE Connectivity 1418762-1

Female Tab Contact.jpg

Wire Seals - Need 24
TE Connectivity 967067-1

Seals.jpg

(Bought all my TE parts from Mouser)

18ga wire - This is important, you can't use down from the parts store wire, it has to be TXL thin jacket high temp 18 ga or it will never fit in the seals or tab contacts. I bought mine from Painless Wiring through Summit Racing. For me it was Black, Green and Purple because those colors closely match the stock harness.

Wire.jpg

Some sort of wire covering - You need to protect and tidy up your work. Use whatever you want but I used a mesh split loom that came our really nice.

Fabric Split Loom.jpg

That's it for part 1, stay tuned for part 2 later.

·
Administrator
11,875 Posts
I did all the research to build my own coil pack adapters so my aux fuel kit would be plug and play. I hate cutting into wiring harnesses unless there is not other option and I knew there was.

Wire Seals - Need 24
TE Connectivity 967067-1

18ga wire - This is important, you can't use down from the parts store wire, it has to be TXL thin jacket high temp 18 ga or it will never fit in the seals or tab contacts. I bought mine from Painless Wiring through Summit Racing. For me it was Black, Green and Purple because those colors closely match the stock harness.

Some sort of wire covering - You need to protect and tidy up your work. Use whatever you want but I used a mesh split loom that came our really nice.

Nice and thorough.

I personally am going to take advantage of the preassembled adapter from Speed Performance though.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
SpeedPerfomance wants an insane amount for their setup which uses the same parts I posted.

I tried to get them to sell me just the parts to build my own and they told me to kick rocks. I'm not joking about it.

Edit: LOL, just went to their website and yeah, $145 for the harness.

·
Administrator
11,875 Posts
SpeedPerfomance wants an insane amount for their setup which uses the same parts I posted.

I tried to get them to sell me just the parts to build my own and they told me to kick rocks. I'm not joking about it.

Lol, I hear yah.

I'm still on the fence whether I feel like making it up though. I'm fully capable, just depends how much free time I have.

When is this thread going to be filled with awesome pictures?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Im already checking out braided cable sleeving, brings me back to my pc modding days. How many feet of wire did you use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Photos and more details later. Too busy to crank out a whole how to right now. I had a lot of people PMing me about the part numbers so I wanted to get that out in the open quicker.

I bought 25 foot pieces of TXL wire since that's the smallest amount you can buy. I tried getting less from wire distributors but they wouldn't sell less than 100ft. You'll use about 4 feet of each color if you don't make any mistakes. I screwed up a few times and used more than that.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Thanks man! Just what I was looking for.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I got my diff in this past weekend so this is my next project to get together. The way I'm planning on doing this is below. Yea it's MSPaint and it took me 3 min.....I never developed my Sketch up or CAD skills :doh:

PnP controller harness.png

I'm going to splice into the male TE connector by soldering 2 wires at pin 1, one going to the female connector and one going to the controller. The runs from the male to female connector
will be super short.

Can someone verify this for me before I buy the pieces.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, you have it right.

You can't make the wire between the male and female short, there is not enough room. The wire needs to be about 7 inches long and loop back around. You also cannot get two wires inside of the connector. You need to splice in the middle. I used a good technique I was tought where you section off a piece of insolation and attach the new wire there. Works great.

I'm lagging hard on taking more pics and expanding the write up but get the parts and I'll get the rest up this weekend. It will make more sense then.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I bet i can solder one end of a diode and wire to the pin though, right? This way im integrating the tach adapter components into the harness, makes for a cleaner install

·
Registered
9,129 Posts

Paid 160 for my coil packs.

·
Registered
9,129 Posts
Yes, you have it right.

You can't make the wire between the male and female short, there is not enough room. The wire needs to be about 7 inches long and loop back around. You also cannot get two wires inside of the connector. You need to splice in the middle. I used a good technique I was tought where you section off a piece of insolation and attach the new wire there. Works great.

I'm lagging hard on taking more pics and expanding the write up but get the parts and I'll get the rest up this weekend. It will make more sense then.
Is soldering like TIG welding? I've never done this before.
Did you have to do any soldering?

·
Registered
565 Posts
Is soldering like TIG welding? I've never done this before.
Did you have to do any soldering?
I mean if that helps you think of the process better.... ;P

But no soldering is not like TIG welding, it is more like brazing (because it basically is). The difference is in soldering you don't melt the parent materials, only the filler (or solder in this case), plus most solder already has flux and no shielding gas is needed. But soldering is way easier than TIG welding...even though I recently began TIGing aluminum, which is actually easy for me, so it depends on you. But solder takes almost no skill, just heat the wire, and put the solder on, making sure that the wires are supported during cooling so that the joint stays together. Pretend you are TIGing and just don't move the iron on the wire, just the solder.

Also by his description of the sectioning of the insulation, yes he soldered, otherwise he would have had to cut the wire and use a butt connector.

Reactions: Duece McCracken

·
Administrator
11,875 Posts
I'd probably use a "suitcase" instead of soldering. Time is money, lol.

·
Registered
71 Posts

View attachment 212873

View attachment 212881

View attachment 212889

View attachment 212897

Wire Seals - Need 24
TE Connectivity 967067-1

View attachment 212905

View attachment 212913

View attachment 212921

Do you have the part 2?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Ill be making mine in the next couple weeks. Still waiting on some backordered parts to ship. If the guide isnt posted by then ill make sure i take some pics when i do mine

1 - 20 of 20 Posts