Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've owned my ST for over 3 years, and have never done anything this dumb.

Taking off from a light, I put my foot on the gas decently hard and in my post-nap state totally forgot to shift, which led to me redlining for a good half second before I put the clutch in. Lot s of noise and mini explosions came from my exhaust along with -6.00 corrections in cyl 1-3.

My question is how screwed am I? I'm already looking for shops to do a compression test but im feeling really stupid right now. The car seems to drive fine and I'm tuned with Stratified on a custom 91 tune.

Pray to the ecoboost Gods for me my dudes

·
Administrator
13,317 Posts
To clarify, I was in 1st and went to redline
Bouncing it off the rev limiter shouldnt be doing any damage, what makes you think something is wrong if the car is driving fine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well depending on how long the event occurred, it's either a rude awakening, or a falcon punch right in the wallet.

Multiple cylinders though, not looking great. Get a competent person to perform a comp check. Check your plug gaps. Re-assess your fuel brand via AP3 monitoring, and hopefully rack up some high miles on her. Smiles per gallon is the goal.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To clarify, I was in 1st and went to redline
Bouncing it off the rev limiter shouldnt be doing any damage, what makes you think something is wrong if the car is driving fine?

Well depending on how long the event occurred, it's either a rude awakening, or a falcon punch right in the wallet.

Multiple cylinders though, not looking great. Get a competent person to perform a comp check. Check your plug gaps. Re-assess your fuel brand via AP3 monitoring, and hopefully rack up some high miles on her. Smiles per gallon is the goal.
To help me better understand what I've done to my poor car, what would the result be of a prolonged event, that results in damage? Bent rods? Fried pistons? I'll definitely check the plugs though, I've been meaning to replace them with 1 step colder and re tune anyway

·
Administrator
13,317 Posts
To help me better understand what I've done to my poor car, what would the result be of a prolonged event, that results in damage? Bent rods? Fried pistons? I'll definitely check the plugs though, I've been meaning to replace them with 1 step colder and re tune anyway
It would be pre-ignition. Hence the ECu retarding the timing down to -6. So it would be piston damage (ringland/overall dome damage) or just you getting scared over nothing. Which luckily the odds are on the "fear " side.

Only one way to know for sure though. Compression check, by a competent person you trust. Then inspect the plugs thoroughly, then drive the car like an old person. Building confidence to romp on her yet again. :)

·
Registered
8,582 Posts
Its simple. How is she running now? Rev limiters, knock sensor, Strat tuning has a lot of controls in place to make sure nothing catastrophic happens. Check your gaps, treat her nice and drive on. If the next time you start her up, she seems to be acting funny, then worry. Otherwise treat it as a learning opportunity and carry on. Like I said. Simple.

/Pseudo end thread.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
I would guess you are fine. Unless you do this at every stop light, the engine will be ok. If you have an AP, then just monitor your gauges and see if anything looks off and monitor how the car drives.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I red lined in 3rd gear doing a pull and nothing catastrophic happened, got negative corrections across the board because the car retards timing and cuts fuel when you bang the red line. I wouldn't worry about it unless like others have said, you start cold and she's running like poop (if the car sounds like a subaru you ****ed up a cylinder :D )

·
Registered
816 Posts
You might've just pissed of your engine, but I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just monitor it the next couple days closely and check for any smoke coming out the exhaust

·
Registered
161 Posts
That's what the rev limiter is for. It cuts ignition to prevent the engine from over-revving.

At autocross, you find plenty of people that run out of gearing but don't have time to upshift and downshift before the next corner, so they let it bang off the limiter. No harm done.

Now, if you accidentally downshift to 1st when you meant to go up to 3rd, and you mechanically over-rev the car (driven by wheel speed, the limiter can't help you), you're going to have a bad time.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the feedback everyone! The car seems to be doing fine a few days later, I think i'm in the clear!

·
Administrator
13,317 Posts
Thanks for the feedback everyone! The car seems to be doing fine a few days later, I think i'm in the clear!
Lmao, we thought so. Normally events that permanently damage your motor instantly are catastrophic. Your lack of response I figured to be "Oh **** it's ok, whew!"

Pay more attention to your throttle position and the cars momentum before you mash it, also keep in mind what gas your car doesn't like.

Good luck sir!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts