Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I installed an intake and the vacuum line fell off. Brake pedal was super hard and it was difficult to stop. Fixed the vacuum line, drove it around a little bit just in the neighborhood, pedal still not exactly feeling right, but it stops a little better. No codes or lights or anything. Anybody seen this before?

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
Yeah that's for the pcv system not vacuum and shouldn't have anything to do with the brakes. That line comes from the valve cover and depending on year has a sensor. Check all the lines from the vacuum pump. The connector that goes here might have come loose when you did the install.

IMG_20170701_160723.jpg

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you @SIstomper! You got me back on the right track. No brakes and this thing was gobbling like a turkey on throttle lift. Found the culprit: I had broken a fitting on a small vacuum line. Super glue gel....FIXED. I have brakes and no more pigeon flutter. Photos of me pointing to the culprit in case anybody else ever has this dumbness occur:

Attachments

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
This may sound naive, but I did not know the brakes were vacuum assisted prior to today. No codes, no lights, no brakes! Easy around those vacuum lines, men. Your lives may depend on it!
I knew because I once left the large line (pinch tabs) loose and noticed the clutch/brakes were tough while backing out. That cheap plastic fitting is the cars only vacuum source and if it comes off or breaks your screwed. Yes the brakes are vacuum assisted not electric like some think

·
Registered
455 Posts
This may sound naive, but I did not know the brakes were vacuum assisted prior to today. No codes, no lights, no brakes! Easy around those vacuum lines, men. Your lives may depend on it!
Most power brakes are vacuum boosted, some are hydro boosted but if they werent you have a really stiff pedal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Just about all cars are vacuum assisted. Hydro assist was used on diesel trucks, iirc. Some cars did have a electronic 'brake by wire' setup, good ol' 2003-2005 E class and SL benzs. Oh those were money makers, pos system always had issues. lol

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The biggest surprise to me was just that no warning lights came on despite the fact the brake booster wasn't working. I did not realize it until I went to stop at a light at a busy intersection. And of course, I have the whole family with me and we are on the way to my great aunt's memorial service, so no turning around...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts