Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a CEL this morning, 2nd time in about 5 days. On my low boost GTX tune cruising to work, going uphill in 4th gear and got up to 6ish psi and when I let off, the CEL popped up and the car started bucking and running rough. Pulled the code with the AP, and got a p061b. I looked it up and its "DTC code P061B - Control Module Torque Calculation Performance"

Turned the car off, then back on and it was fine. I will try going back to my normal higher boost map and see if it does the same thing there, as it never has before on that map. I had been using the low boost map for the last week or so because it has been so cold I can't get traction with the higher boost map.

Is it possible I am overshooting a torque limit with the low boost map and it's causing the ECU to go into limp mode..? Any ideas?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had this happen the other day to after updating to the maps switching firmware. Not sure if it's related but glad I wasn't alone
Haha well good to know I'm not alone! I searched all over the forum and didn't find a whole lot. The only real info I could find related to this DTC code was someone self tuning their BT setup and overshot some torque values. I emailed my tuner to see if he thinks this is the case, as I was running in the low boost map slot (which I rarely do) and hoping this is the same issue. If that's the case I will just stick with my normal file. Just freaking out hoping it's not a bigger issue lol

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea I was trying to learn more about if it was tuning firmware or hardware related. Thought I would chime in since u posted it up.
Thanks, I'll let you know what I find out

·
Vendor
2,565 Posts
You guys both e-mailed me about the same issue on the same day :). Did this happen to both of you right after a FW update? It is very odd to have it happen all of a sudden on two cars so I am looking into this . It's good to see if there's something in common here such as just doing a FW update.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I haven't updated to a new version since before the last file you sent me. So far it only seems related to my low boost (slot 2) file. I will continue to monitor it on my slot 1 file and report back if the issue reappears.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Haha well good to know I'm not alone! I searched all over the forum and didn't find a whole lot. The only real info I could find related to this DTC code was someone self tuning their BT setup and overshot some torque values. I emailed my tuner to see if he thinks this is the case, as I was running in the low boost map slot (which I rarely do) and hoping this is the same issue. If that's the case I will just stick with my normal file. Just freaking out hoping it's not a bigger issue lol
Yea I was trying to learn more about if it was tuning firmware or hardware related. Thought I would chime in since u posted it up.
Hey screwdgie and its silver bob,

Thanks for posting about the issue you're experiencing. Have you had this diagnosed by your Ford Dealer?

Nick

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey screwdgie and its silver bob,

Thanks for posting about the issue you're experiencing. Have you had this diagnosed by your Ford Dealer?

Nick
I'm pretty sure my dealer would laugh in my face if I brought a big turbo ST in for this issue... That and I don't trust anyone to touch my car but myself lol

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lol :). I think I have a solution. Waiting on a bit of feedback and will roll this out.
I still haven't had a chance to get a datalog to try and replicate it for you. Rain and snow for the next few days... But on a good note, I have not had the issue arise since I went back to running the higher boost map

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
I'm pretty sure my dealer would laugh in my face if I brought a big turbo ST in for this issue... That and I don't trust anyone to touch my car but myself lol
Understood. You know where to find me should you need anything down the road; don't hesitate to reach out.

Nick

·
Vendor
2,565 Posts
I still haven't had a chance to get a datalog to try and replicate it for you. Rain and snow for the next few days... But on a good note, I have not had the issue arise since I went back to running the higher boost map
Sent you and update while on a flight back into town last night. Let me know if this addresses it.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sent you and update while on a flight back into town last night. Let me know if this addresses it.
Just got your email, I'll try it out this week and let you know how it works!

·
Vendor
1,840 Posts
So, I'm bumping this up. Did you guys ever get this figured out and resolved? I've had it happen 2 times and it's scary stuff LOL.

Steve and I have talked plenty of times about it but it seems mysterious at this point now that I got it to occur again.

@screwdgie @[email protected] @[email protected] @its silver bob
Yeah, we know what causes it. It is indeed a terrible limp mode. We'll have to play with your parameters a bit and see if we can get yours to be nicer :)

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I haven't had it happen to me again since Alex sent me that last revision for it. That being said, I haven't been using the low boost map much at all lol

1 - 20 of 37 Posts