Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am new to being an ST owner, got mine back in Sept of this year and have loved every minute of it.

Anyways, a friend of mine also has an ST and I happen to go for a drive with him the other day in his car. As we were driving I noticed how he would shift. Every gear he would stay in that gear till 5500-6000rpm every single time he would shift through the gears.
For myself, unless I am attempting to do a pull, I will normally shift 2500-3500 most times. I guess my question is, is there a right and wrong way? Am I just babying the car too much or is he doing a little too much?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I would say he is a bit aggressive. Only do that once the car is warm. Perhaps your friend has shares in oil companies....:unsure:
It could be that he is advertising for the exhaust he has installed....Perhaps he's sponsored by them?

When the car is cold it is best to not flat foot accelerate. Roll into boost gradually.
That being said every car needs the carbon burned out of it.

There are some good articles about these 2.0L and there weaknesses especially in the pistons. They give reasons why to let these motor warm up. Although you should let every motor warm up properly before you play.

I liked this article:

·
Registered
2017 Focus ST-3
34 Posts
Maximum power is generally around the 5000-5500 rpm mark and that's about where the torque starts to drop off sharply. If you need maximum acceleration that's where you should be. If not, then there's no need to be stressing the engine and wasting fuel.

·
Super Moderator
7,881 Posts
Hello, I am new to being an ST owner, got mine back in Sept of this year and have loved every minute of it.

Anyways, a friend of mine also has an ST and I happen to go for a drive with him the other day in his car. As we were driving I noticed how he would shift. Every gear he would stay in that gear till 5500-6000rpm every single time he would shift through the gears.
For myself, unless I am attempting to do a pull, I will normally shift 2500-3500 most times. I guess my question is, is there a right and wrong way? Am I just babying the car too much or is he doing a little too much?
Does he always drive like that, or just when you are out driving together? Could just be a case of ego...who's ST is best ST...Quien es mas macho...

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Maximum power is generally around the 5000-5500 rpm mark and that's about where the torque starts to drop off sharply. If you need maximum acceleration that's where you should be. If not, then there's no need to be stressing the engine and wasting fuel.
Maximum acceleration comes from trq bud. Hp keeps you going fast, but trq is what makes you fast.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
It sounds like this kid doesnt know how to drive simply put, its not about being aghressive or not. No normal person floors it from every stop unless they just dont know how to drive. And I want to make sure when you say he whines it out, he doesnt necessarily have to be flooring it, does he sometimes ride it out to 5500rpm but is he doing it at like half throttle, there are times i will go up through the gear but not by flooring it, sometimes going thru town ill slowly accelerate thru 2nd. But peak trq 2700 to 3200rpms peak hp is 5700 or so and keeping it in gear past that on a stock turbo is just damaging and casuing you to lose power. Youd either need cams, bigger turbo something to feed more air after 5700 because the turbo just turns into a furnace so ypur making more heat then energy.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Stock my fost was done at about 5300, didn't feel good reving any higher.Now with esp intercooler,catless, back to stock air box,93 octane, regular valve cleaning with crc it pulls hard to 6k. I love reving it out and do it alot.

·
Super Moderator
7,881 Posts
Stock my fost was done at about 5300, didn't feel good reving any higher.Now with esp intercooler,catless, back to stock air box,93 octane, regular valve cleaning with crc it pulls hard to 6k. I love reving it out and do it alot.
I've been doing some testing for one of our tuners and have been looking at a lot of data logs recently (daily), it's really surprising to me the difference in the butt dyno and the numbers on the logs. I make peak torque at 3000 rpm and from 3000 rpm to 5000 the boost stays fairly consistent rising and falling by about 2 psi. After 5000, where my butt dyno feels little difference, the boost drops off dramatically and by 6000 it's dropped by 1/3 from peak. All the while I hardly notice a difference.

I'm thinking as I age my butt is losing sensitivity? ;)

Reactions: Theguynamedguy

·
Registered
217 Posts
Mine actually seems to rev faster from 5.4-6. At 5.9 -6 I think the party is over. Does Dyno take into account the way the factory air box takes in air at speed. I'm a believer in a sealed air box. Maybe time for a air box snorkel.

·
Registered
98 Posts

Perhaps he just likes the sound of his own exhaust? Entices others to race? Seems odd to me...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Perhaps he just likes the sound of his own exhaust? Entices others to race? Seems odd to me...
Neither of us has an aftermarket exhaust. He has had his ST for a little longer than I have had mine. He used to have an STI before and ended up doing something to it and got rid of it for a working ST.
So he doesn't drive WOT but he still will max out every gear that he is in. The other day was the first time I have ever been in his car with him, we were just going to get some lunch. That is when I noticed that every single gear he would ride it out till basiclly redline before he would shift and if were at say 45mph he would be driving at like 5000-5500rpm in 3rd just cruising.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Does he always drive like that, or just when you are out driving together? Could just be a case of ego...who's ST is best ST...Quien es mas macho...
I have only driven with him once. We went to get lunch and that is when I noticed how he drove. It was just odd seeing someone drive like that. I am not an expert and I am pretty new to driving a manual car, that is why I was wondering if I am the one driving incorrectly or not.

·
Super Moderator
7,881 Posts
I have only driven with him once. We went to get lunch and that is when I noticed how he drove. It was just odd seeing someone drive like that. I am not an expert and I am pretty new to driving a manual car, that is why I was wondering if I am the one driving incorrectly or not.
It's not you, it's your friend...

Reactions: TurboGT and rob99rt

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
In my opinion if you want maximum accerlation you should be waiting until 5300 rpm to shift. I do this all the time & its not cause I have a passenger or an ego, Im just having fun. If I dont want to go fast I dont do that obviously. I think that is pretty much all there is to say here?

Now if he is driving high revs while not accelerating then that is definitely silly. Wasted wear and tear, wasted mileage.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Neither of us has an aftermarket exhaust. He has had his ST for a little longer than I have had mine. He used to have an STI before and ended up doing something to it and got rid of it for a working ST.
So he doesn't drive WOT but he still will max out every gear that he is in. The other day was the first time I have ever been in his car with him, we were just going to get some lunch. That is when I noticed that every single gear he would ride it out till basiclly redline before he would shift and if were at say 45mph he would be driving at like 5000-5500rpm in 3rd just cruising.
He keeps the rpms at 5k to 5500k while cruising at 45mph?! In 3rd?! That's more than a bit much. He's wearing that engine out! I mean it can take it, but long term you'll see him needing a valve adjustment and piston rings/bottom end rebuilt sooner than later along with other parts.

Just keep driving how you have and yes enjoy your cars powerband but do it wisely and keep the longevity in mind if you want it to last as well.

·
Registered
50 Posts
LOL yeah your friend can’t drive 🤣 That Subie he “got rid of” definitely blew up. I’m all for driving hard and having fun from time to time, but driving like that All The Time is a bit much.

·
Registered
2014 Ford Focus ST3
194 Posts
5k-5500rpm at 45mph would be 2nd gear not 3rd.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts