Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed an intercooler with HKS BOV on the charge pipe yesterday. The BOV wasn't secured properly and blew off while driving and the O-Ring was lost.

I'm waiting for the new O-ring to come in, but in the mean time, is it safe to drive with that open flange on the intercooler with no boost? I have a stratified tune and I can possibly put it on no boost for the mean time.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I installed an intercooler with HKS BOV on the charge pipe yesterday. The BOV wasn't secured properly and blew off while driving and the O-Ring was lost.

I'm waiting for the new O-ring to come in, but in the mean time, is it safe to drive with that open flange on the intercooler with no boost? I have a stratified tune and I can possibly put it on no boost for the mean time.
It's a potential inlet for unfiltered air and debris. While technically the computer and sensors can adjust I wouldn't feel comfortable with the chance of random debris flying in.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Basically the response you are going to get is: no.

Reactions: Lou64

·
Registered
198 Posts
with the temps in that area id highly suggest NOT using duct tape...even though it pains me to say that...also id not drive the car unless its 100% unavoidable. However in lue of duct tape you can use speed tape (aluminum with adhesive backing) I have used this stuff near combustion sections on jet turbine engines and it holds up to 800+ degrees F.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Do not drive the car until it is replaced. Unless you want more problems with your car and or turbo, Dont halfass the job either, cover the hole with a clean bag (not a cloth) so nothing gets inside. The turbo still pulls air into and out of the motor at all times boost or no boost, If your turbo didnt work your car wont run. When you reinstall look up torque specs and use loctite.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update:

I didn't drive the car, per your suggestions...

Ordered a replacement HKS O-Ring from Amazon with c-clip ($21!!!!! :furious:)
In the mean time, I went to Ace hardware and picked up the closest match to the original O-Ring I could find:

Ace Hardware Size: 1.875" OD -- 1.625" ID -- 0.125" Width
Original Size: 1.890" OD -- 1.610" ID -- 0.140" Width

Installed the O-ring with some help from the wife to apply pressure to the BOV while clamping it down. Got a good fitment and pulled on it with my hands and felt no movement. Drove around the block a few times hitting 22 PSI of boost on multiple pulls, no issues.

Ace Hardware O-Ring part number: #49 O-Ring STK NO 35763B made by Danco Inc. (making this for future information if it happens to anyone else)

Thanks guys!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts