Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After consulting a bunch of car guru's, I'm heavily leaning to H&R + Koni yellow's set-up over coilovers.

Looking to get some impressions on how the dynamics of the car changed with this set-up...........cornering..............ride..........heavy braking???

·
Registered
224 Posts
After consulting a bunch of car guru's, I'm heavily leaning to H&R + Koni yellow's set-up over coilovers.

Looking to get some impressions on how the dynamics of the car changed with this set-up...........cornering..............ride..........heavy braking???
I have H&R Coils on my ST and I love them. They stiffened up the ride quite nicely and wow cornering is on point. On hard cornering it sticks well to the road and feels great with very little body roll.
My passengers always comment about how stiff the car is and how you can feel the bumps in the road so there's that but I'm used to it now.
As for breaking I have pretty much next to no nose dive on hard breaking.
I'm not maxed out and still could drop lower but my wheels are just tucking and the clearance is just perfect. I'm running stock wheel size.
22688002_10155747221116303_5726609963644961989_n.jpg

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have H&R Coils on my ST and I love them. They stiffened up the ride quite nicely and wow cornering is on point. On hard cornering it sticks well to the road and feels great with very little body roll.
My passengers always comment about how stiff the car is and how you can feel the bumps in the road so there's that but I'm used to it now.
As for breaking I have pretty much next to no nose dive on hard breaking.
I'm not maxed out and still could drop lower but my wheels are just tucking and the clearance is just perfect. I'm running stock wheel size.
View attachment 288114

sweet

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Koni's by themselves are ok struts. I've had them for years on other platforms. Inserts, struts, whatever. Solid for what they are.

However a few things bug the crap out of me about them, mainly in regards to adjustments
1. Adjustments - it's an infinite knob with no clicks/detents/feedback. The knob is soft and flexy too. So turn it with more than 12oz of force, and you're about 1/8th of a turn off!
2. As the Konis wear out, you'll end up turning the knob about 1/8th-1/4th a turn to maintain the damping control
3. In our car, the adjustment locations, may not be easily accessible? (I run bilsteins so I don't know for a fact)
4. There is really only one good setting for adjustable struts/shocks. Where you're not pogo'ing or too stiff. When you find it, great. It'll take a bit of time to get there, then #2 rears its head.

That said, it's a good setup. I don't think you can fault it. If you don't want to deal with adjustments, Bilstein B8's are also a solid alternative.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I put Koni str.t's on my last car, with stock springs, because they're supposed to be pretty good, with the same setup as yellows at full soft. I hated them. Nicely made, but rebound damping sucks. Tokico d-specs have way better damping characteristics, IMO (obviously a different class of strut, but regardless, rebound at any setting was far superior to the Koni). I'd like to try Bilsteins someday.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts